Coleman stainless cooler

Box Rocket

Anyone have any feedback on these? I had an old one years ago that was my dad's and I know it had been through a lot and still worked great. So many of the cheaper cooler these days don't have a locking lid. I'm thinking of building a rack on the tongue of my trailer for one of these since it has a locking lid and will allow quick access to drinks etc on the trail.

I wanted to get a little feedback first about how these "newer" coleman coolers are holding up for people before I drop $100 on one.

675648Lrg.jpg

mrchips

Adventurer
Mine is about 2 years old, and it is holding up well. Works great for week-end trips, I use blue ice frozen packs, and foods are still nice and cold at the end of the week-end. I am personally thinking of going with the new ARB fridge, but need to do some more investigating. Great cooler though,,,,,,,

Box Rocket

Mine is about 2 years old, and it is holding up well. Works great for week-end trips, I use blue ice frozen packs, and foods are still nice and cold at the end of the week-end. I am personally thinking of going with the new ARB fridge, but need to do some more investigating. Great cooler though,,,,,,,

I will probably do a fridge also that will be secured inside the trailer, but I'd like something for quick access without digging into the trailer during quick stops.

Thanks for the input.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I have one of those. It holds ice longer than any other cooler I have. I would buy it with the black cover which helps insulate it and prevents any scratches.

6Pins

Adventurer
I have one, it works okay. Keeps ice cold for a while, but the latch isn't real strong, mine broke after I think the Christmas party this year.

BlackX

Adventurer
Anyone have any feedback on these? I had an old one years ago that was my dad's and I know it had been through a lot and still worked great. So many of the cheaper cooler these days don't have a locking lid. I'm thinking of building a rack on the tongue of my trailer for one of these since it has a locking lid and will allow quick access to drinks etc on the trail.

I wanted to get a little feedback first about how these "newer" coleman coolers are holding up for people before I drop $100 on one.

675648Lrg.jpg

I'm also looking for a new good quality cooler. Does this only come in the 54 quart? Looking on the Coleman site it's $220. Where'd you find it for $100?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I have the "steel belted 54". It looks exactly the same only its green rather than stainless. It takes a beating well, but I only get one day or less with ice.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've had my stainless one for about 5 years or so, it's held up well, as well, or better, than the old "Steel Belted" Colemans from years ago.
The stainless ones only come in one size, unlike the old steel belted coolers that ranged from something like 16 qt to 70 or 80qt. I don't remember exactly how big, but I have the biggest they made and it's quite large.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How do these compare in performance to the Coleman "Extreme" coolers? I saw some on clearance that I would have picked up, but I wasn't sure hoe long they keep ice cold. It really wasn't mentioned on the packaging, so I assumed they weren't good.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey Adam,
I have one now at the advice of my shop mates Damon and Scott who have both been using them for years and swear by them. They seem to be absolutely worth their weight. If concerned by costs the plastic Coleman "Extreme" 7 day coolers have also worked well and held frozen blocks 7 days in as well, if it helps, and they are less than half as much... They both work so well with frozen bottles that I have no plans of ever investing in a fridge personally...

pnorvell

Adventurer
I plan on purchasing on of these coolers as well. I don't see a need for fridge as my trips are only ever 4 days at most. I also like it because the top locks and because of it's size. It might be a little on the small side, but i usually take two separate coolers, one for food and one for drinks, as this helps keep the food much cooler since it's only opened twice a day, breakfast and dinner.

Peter

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The first time I ever saw that cooler in a catalog I ordered it. 10 years???
It's been great and has held up to some ruff treatment in boats and off roading. It has dents to prove it. I replaced the latch and the catch. The catch seemed weak and the lid would pop open. The latch just wore out and broke at the pivot pin. The catch is just spring loaded rollers and they are weak. You don't even have to unlatch it to open it. Just a good tug and it will pop open. Thats the only drawback. If you drop it when it's full it will come open. Not that that happens often but the OP was interested in the so called locking mechanism. It doesn't lock. Overall I love it and would buy it again but just make sure you can live with that catch if thats an issue.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have one of the stainless coolers. Works fine, tough. Had it about 8 years or so and no complaints, except the standard funky latch.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I had one, used it a lot and it died...

I like to think I take above average care of my gear. When I had the 04 Unlimited, I moved the back seat rearward (To increase rear leg room) and built the cage to fit this cooler specifically between the rear seat belt bar and the tail gate. From that point on, this cooler was in that cargo space.

To mirror people's concerns about the latch, I found it was never really a secure latch. You can quite easily lift the lid up while was latched down, or at least you could on mine.

The stainless is a thin veneer wrapped around a plastic cooler. After many trips and parties, the lid and lid liner started to come unglued at the hinges resulting in large gaps around the back seal of the lid.

The cooler lasted three years, before the lid and liner separated to the point that it wasn't worth using it.

It seems, I may be the minority here as most seem pleased with it.

If you look close you will see it behind the spare tire.

100_0583.jpg

100_0592.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears