First Problem EVER with my Trooper.

Hayduke950

Observer
I just got back from a little camping/riding expedition in Utah. Great trip!

511623316_Esr4q-M.jpg

511643917_VNbAo-M.jpg

But just as I pulled out of camp, I could smell anti-freeze. :( I knew what that meant, and, sure enough, coolant was dripping onto the passenger floorboard. By the time I got home, it was pretty much pouring out. I kept refilling it, and the truck never got hot.

Took the truck to the shop this morning, and they called to tell me that they could only find one heater core available, and it was very expensive. Oh well. I guess parts are getting harder to come by? Anyone else having problems finding any particular parts?

First problem in 160,000 miles, though, so I can't complain.

Incusus

Adventurer
I hate to hear you had a problem, althought 160k is nice for your first!:victory:

I personally think theres a bit of panic on the consumer side, and a corresponding money-grab on the supplier side since Isuzu pulled out of north america. Frankly, right now, parts shouldn't be any harder to come by than they were a month or two ago.

Beautiful pic, btw. I cant wait for the first outing of the season!

double moo

Adventurer
Hey... Duke,

What rack set up are you using on your Trooper... and more to the point what is the rear rack attachment?

I'm in the process of making custom mounting for an ARB rack because no one seems to make one specific to the 2nd gen. (write up to follow fabrication)

Incusus

Adventurer
Hey... Duke,

What rack set up are you using on your Trooper... and more to the point what is the rear rack attachment?

I'm in the process of making custom mounting for an ARB rack because no one seems to make one specific to the 2nd gen. (write up to follow fabrication)

Surco makes an acceptable rack (among others). Rear mounting point is the factory bolt holes under the weatherstrip...

Hayduke950

Observer
Hey... Duke,

I don't remember what rack it is, but it's a cheap POS from Cabelas or someplace similar. I have some old "jetrack" mounts that attach to the stock roof rack sliders, then the cargo carrier attaches to those. I know- lots of weight on the stock mounts, but I've put many thousands of miles on it loaded up with no problems.

double moo

Adventurer
Surco makes an acceptable rack (among others). Rear mounting point is the factory bolt holes under the weatherstrip...

The surco mounts work fine if you are mounting a rack to four points - center and rear or center and front. If you buy a longer - full roof - rack you need to hit 6 points. The curve of the roof prohibits you from using the surco mounts as they are all the same size... and the racks have a hard time bending to match the curve!

double moo

Adventurer
I don't remember what rack it is, but it's a cheap POS from Cabelas or someplace similar. I have some old "jetrack" mounts that attach to the stock roof rack sliders, then the cargo carrier attaches to those. I know- lots of weight on the stock mounts, but I've put many thousands of miles on it loaded up with no problems.

The weight was the factor that pushed me away from the factory racks. I found a couple at the junk yard and got excited to pop them off and throw them on my rig... which is when I realized that they attach through the roof and not to the mounting points under the rain trim. I know I'm not the first guy to go through this, but there isn't much info on the web to draw from... so I'll have to do the complete write up with pics when I get it done. (parts are bought - templates made - just need to get time on a break press to complete the mounts)

jl8088

Adventurer
Looks like a great time (minus the commute back). Glad you managed to get home alright. 4x4 and honda dirtbikes = great time.

Hayduke950

Observer
Apparently, Isuzu built the entire Trooper around the heater core.

$$Ouch$$.

Oh well. She's still a good truck with alot of life left in her.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I hear ya Duke. I think they were built around the heater core and the starter. When the starter failed on my Trooper it was big $$$. That and the transmission failing were the only two problems I had with mine. I got almost 150K out of the original tranny.

Hayduke950

Observer
I hear ya Duke. I think they were built around the heater core and the starter. When the starter failed on my Trooper it was big $$$. That and the transmission failing were the only two problems I had with mine. I got almost 150K out of the original tranny.

What transmission did you have? I have a manual tranny with 160,000. :worried

robertdarin

Adventurer
Duke, sorry to hear about your rig:(...i hope it gets fixed soon.
Day tripper is correct though your 5spd should not give you any problems, it is the auto that is kinda under built for the amount of weight it hauls around.

Hayduke950

Observer
Duke, sorry to hear about your rig:(...i hope it gets fixed soon.
Day tripper is correct though your 5spd should not give you any problems, it is the auto that is kinda under built for the amount of weight it hauls around.

Thanks! She's back on the road now. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78