Thoughts on suspension for an expedition bicycle

Scott Brady

Founder
As I begin to assemble the specifications for my first expedition bicycle, I am working through the pros and cons of a front suspension and possibly full suspension.

I have my own thoughts at the moment, but look forward to others opinions.

For my needs, the goal is to ride long distances on the dirt, like the White Rim, Kokopelli trail, etc. with limited pavement riding (ie. 80% dirt, 20% pavement)

Here is a little inspiration: Tout Terrain Panamericana
tout-panamericana-1.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
While the Panamericana seems to be a "Land Cruiser" class ExPo bike, I am fascinated by the idea of something like the Moots YBB soft tail. Fit an upside-down fork on the front and some lightweight luggage solutions.

moots-ybb.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Disclaimer: I'm a curmudgeon (thanks, Dave!) when it comes to rear suspension on a bicycle. I can see the benefit in the right use, but I've also passed equally capable riders on full suspension bikes who were bent on being there first with my hardtail.

I don't think anything beyond a soft tail, like the Moots, or a suspension seat post is called for. The idea is to take the sharp edge off the bumps for long distance comfort, not go 86 miles an hour through a field of Maytags (rocks that you may or may not tag).

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I've ridden both the white rim trail, the Kokopelli trail as well as 270 miles from Telluride to Moab and most of the Colorado trail.

I did these all on a my Santa Cruz Blur and couldn't be happier, the trick for me was getting as much weight, which was very little on the bike. Carrying the light stuff in a slim pack on my back. I had a small pack that connected to my seat post and a bag that went in the triangle of the frame.

As anyone who knows me or has traveled with me knows I subscribe to the light and fast philosophy. My biggest luxury was a pair of flip flops I strapped to my pack.

2075940347_9d985a8964_b.jpg

228928929_36fddc9bab_o.jpg

Edit: actually I lied, I rode from Telluride to Moab on a Schwinn 4 Banger...

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
IMO, you should just go hard tail or even fully rigid. It's amazing how much lowing the PSI in the tires will plush up the ride. I'd hate to have a part go south (front/rear suspension components) on an expedition.

trailsurfer

Explorer
For your intended purposes I would go with a Titanium hard tail 29er and buy both a front suspension fork and a rigid fork and switch them out depending on the type of trail/road you will be riding on each excursion.

The big wheel will be perfect for your type of riding. You can get that big wheel rolling and make some time, it will make it more like a road bike in that regard.

The titanium will absorb the bumps and vibrations and reduce the wear and tear on your hands, back, and shoulders.

You could go with either a cyclocross or a mountain bike geometry.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
For your intended purposes I would go with a Titanium hard tail 29er and buy both a front suspension fork and a rigid fork and switch them out depending on the type of trail/road you will be riding on each excursion.

The big wheel will be perfect for your type of riding. You can get that big wheel rolling and make some time, it will make it more like a road bike in that regard.

The titanium will absorb the bumps and vibrations and reduce the wear and tear on your hands, back, and shoulders.

You could go with either a cyclocross or a mountain bike geometry.

How about a steel version? Makes for quick fixes for damaged/bent sections, especially if you're in a foreign territory.

trailsurfer

Explorer
How about a steel version? Makes for quick fixes for damaged/bent sections, especially if you're in a foreign territory.

Obviously I don't disagree, "steel is real". But what I like about Titanium is that it is bullet proof and you can "typically" avoid the potential problems in the first place.

The Pugsley is the ultimate low tech, bomb proof solution for expedition riding. I really love that bike.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
If you decide to go with a full suspension I'd recommend the Old Man Mountain racks. I've put them on several full suspension bikes that went on some long distance offroad tours, like your talking about, and I think they offer the best racks for full suspension applications.

The debate over full suspension and hardtail bikes has been going for almost 20 years and I don't see any end in sight. I ride both, but I've never done any longer than 2 day touring on my mtb. If I was going for 5-10 days I would ride my full suspension without any concern, but if I was heading out on a 3 month trip to Alaska I would ride one of my hardtails, not an aluminum, I have steel and ti.

efuentes

Explorer
What I did, was to take my full suspension bike and a couple of weeks later a hybrid (that was converted to a quasi tourer) on the same 3 day ride to see first hand what worked.

It was easier on the MTB, it was somehow more fulfilling on the rigid hybrid.

Go figure.

Saludos.

PS I now use the beater most all the time :victory:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Have you thought of really fat tires like the Vicious Thunderwing http://www.viciouscycles.com/frames-thunderwing.php3 or the Surly pugsley http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html ?
The Pugsley is what Cackalak Han is showing.

I used to be hell bent on hardtails and minimalist forks. But the last couple of years I've done all my singletrack touring and any race over 50 miles on the Blur (mines a LT). I don't go any slower and after 4 or 6 hours I don't feel completely worked anymore. Did a couple of sections of the Colorado Trail from Denver and back two weekends ago actually. The only time I don't ride the Blur is if I'm riding the one speed, which is a steel hardtail. Even that has a shock now (yeah, I know, tempting eternal damnation to chain suck for the temping of fate like that).

Now if it's long distance paved or smooth dirt road touring, I would stick with steel and a rigid fork for reliability. Blown seals or broken pivots a month into a 3 month tour would suck bad.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Whatever you do, go ultralight on your gear.
Silnylon tarp tent, alcohol stove, etc...
The less weight on the bike, the happier and safer you will be.
True, true, true! Just because the max weight on a BOB is 70 lbs or Old Man Mountain racks is 50 lbs, doesn't mean you should test it. Lay everything out that you think you need and leave half of it behind. You don't need significantly more for a week of bikepacking than you do for a regular long ride. I typically carry enough water to go at least a whole day without refilling, sometimes filter-able water can get scarce here. But not usually more than one day rare. Dense food, sandals, a rain fly or divvy, a book and you're good to go for a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12