Fleece jackets...

lamontagne

Adventurer
I'm looking to add a nice fleece jacket to my closet this year and get rid of the el cheapo that wore out in 3 months last year.

My criteria is a high loft fleece, quality construction, and a roomy/stretchy fit. I am 6 foot tall, 225lbs, and a 48in chest. (yea I know, I need to lose some weight :Wow1:)

Front runners right now are Patagonia R3 and Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man.

I will be using this for daily wear in Arizona winters and backpacking/camping trips.

Does anyone here have any real world experience with these jackets?

I hear good reviews about the R3 and the Money Man, but some have complained the Monkey sheds and clumps easily.

bmonday

Adventurer
I have a Mountain Hardwear jacket, but it's the Windstopper Tech, not the Monkey Man.

Keep in mind that wind completely violates normal fleece. Blows right through. If you care about that kind of thing, get a windproof fleece, like the WindStopper.

That said, I've had my Windstopper fleece for several years now, and it's held up brilliantly. It's the only jacket in my closet that goes on every trip with me, rain or shine.

lamontagne

Adventurer
I already have an Arc'teryx Beta AR soft shell and an REI Taku shell. Both of which are very effective at blocking wind. I want a fleece as a mid layer and something to wear on calm days. Mostly I want something thats light and can be compressed in a backpack.

I have switched all my new gear to Arc'teryx! I have owned many different brands and found them to be my favorite. I use their fleece in combination with a hard shell for skiing and love the brand, great construction, fit and durability. I skied alot of trees last year in search of fresh powder and have'nt had a tear or blowout of any seams like some other brands I've had.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
i first got the North face Denali but didnt like it at all. It fit me funny around the shoulders and felt puffy (size was correct). i ended up returning it and got the Mountain Hardwear jacket Windstopper Tech. Ive been happy with it ever since. i got it on sale from Mountaingear.com for $100

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Try Arc Teryx, I have there fleece sweater (2) and have had them for going on 6 years. While not a fleece jacket they are nice, MH does produce a nice product and I would opt for wind stopper in it.

Aaron

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have the first gen R3 in a pull-over. It is the warmest of all the fleece/syn pile sweaters and/or jackets I own. It has been more durable than the regular Patagonia/NF/Marmot fleece (doesn't pill and even after dozens and dozens of washings still has plenty of spring in the fabric and fiber loft). But it has to be darn cold...or I need to be fairly inactive...to wear it: Its that warm!

lamontagne

Adventurer
I have the first gen R3 in a pull-over. It is the warmest of all the fleece/syn pile sweaters and/or jackets I own. It has been more durable than the regular Patagonia/NF/Marmot fleece (doesn't pill and even after dozens and dozens of washings still has plenty of spring in the fabric and fiber loft). But it has to be darn cold...or I need to be fairly inactive...to wear it: Its that warm!

How is the fit? Would it be roomy enough for a "stocky" guy as myself?

My normal comfort level is warm. I walked outside a few mornings ago and I got a chill....it was 78 degrees!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
How is the fit? Would it be roomy enough for a "stocky" guy as myself?

My normal comfort level is warm. I walked outside a few mornings ago and I got a chill....it was 78 degrees!

I'm 5'10" and 200 and the large fits perfectly (not tight and not baggy).

the_g_man

TAD Gear

Check out TAD Gear (www.tadgear.com) for some awesome outdoor wear. Pricey, but well worth it... if you NEED performance clothing. Reviews and comments are plentiful on the internet, too (see militarymorons site, to start with.) You won't be disappointed.

lamontagne

Adventurer
Well I finally took the plunge and ordered a Patagonia R3 in XL. I got in the mail a few days later, tried it on, and promptly put it back in the box. It was HUGE! I'm kind of a bigger guy, and I was wearing that thing like I had a blanket around me. So it was sent back for a refund.

I was in Manzanita Outdoors this last weekend (BTW, Awesome Earthroamer in the parking lot!) browsing around and I tried on the Patagonia R4 Lightweight in XL and it fit like a glove. Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger