Jeep Cherokee CB Radio placement

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hi everyone with CB radios!

I've been reading up in the section on CB's and to make this pertinent to the Jeep section, I was wondering the favorite placement of CB antennas on the Jeep Cherokees for all of you! Got photos?

What setup (ie: model/antenna) did you use and where do the wires run, etc?

spare no detail! :wings:

99wj

Adventurer
i have a grand Cherokee, but the principle is relatively the same. for the antenna i just use a 3 foot "firestik" antenna. for the mount i used a flat piece of thin steel (about 4 inches by 1 inch) with a hole on each end. it slips in between the tail light and the body. (see the pic for more detail) one hole screws right into the body and the other hole holds the antenna. i see alot of cherokee and grand cherokee guys doing this and it works very well. i will post up more detailed pics, when i get a chance to go outside...

GTABurnout

Explorer
I can take pics later but I have the CB mounted under the glove box. Wite runs along the passenger side behind the molding and out thry the rear tail light then on to the rear tire cairrer where I have a 4' fire stick mounted to a headyduty spring base.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I personally like a good, solid bull bar mount. Gets it out in the open, but low down enough not to hit parking garages. I'm going to mount a CB and 2m antenna up front there when I get it all gathered.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
No pics, but i hace a Cobra 75wx and the antenna is mounted on the rack.
The Cobra has a box that can be mounted almost anywhere and then the radio/mike can be removed for theft deterent.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Dang, they give you quite a selection of antenna mounts in that kit.
I have found no need for an external speaker.

SWbySWesty

yea, I'll probably get the universal hood mount since that'll work perfect on the XJ. Great to know about the speaker...

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
I use the Uniden Pro520 XL....mounted to the passenger side of the console where my shifter is...and I have my antenna magnet-mounted to the rear on the roof. No pics...but I'd be happy to take some!

SWbySWesty

yea, see, I'm not sure I like the idea of having everything be in the handheld unit. I had a hard enough time keeping track of my cell phone back in the day where you could use it while driving.

Grrr, what would you guys do? I'm thinking of the package deal and then maybe upgrading the radio to a better unit...although the Cobra unit seems pretty legit.

hugh

Observer
based on an idea I got from the naxja site I mounted my cb overheard between the sun visors. A small strip of metal between the plastic clips that the visors clip into and done. Plus the speaker is right overhead so its pretty easy to hear.

SixLug

Explorer
Heres my install...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17845

I guess its been just over a year since I installed it and its as solid as the day I put it up there.

DSCF0021-1.jpg

Heres a pic of my generic CB antenna with magnetic base.

Reasons for its location:

Center of the vehicle keeps it out of reach out of branches.
Lower mounting position on hood to keep it low for clearance.
Mounting it on a flat surface = better reception.
(I can still open the hood just fine)

I ran the cable into the door jam and then up the front pillar under the trim piece to keep it stealthy, under the pass. side visor then hooked it up. Inside the vehicle, you cant even see the cable. Works good for me. Hope this helped.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I have an old Midland Weather-Max CB mounted under the glovebox/dash, nice thin design and is out of the way for passengers. Have the ant mounted on rear of my roofrack, it's roughly 30" steel whip.

My CB is a bottom mount speaker and i had issues hearing it clearly so i added an external speaker to my dash. Works great.

crossbasket7.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Kinda on topic....I have mine mounted on the usual stainless steel mount crewed to the front fender (moving it to the brush guard).......BUT does anyone know how to set swr (srw?) w/o a meter? Is that possible???

jwtrapper

Observer
console.jpg

This is what I have now.

switches.jpg

This is what I had in my last xj

I will have to take a picture of my cb antenna mount. I made a bracket that fits behind the tail light that holds the antenna. I like it.

jeepmay045.jpg

Again this is my last XJ, and I used a ball mount on the rear drivers side.

I like the one I have now better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78