Hi-Lift bar & foot for rear stabilizer legs?

1x1_Speed_Craig

I have seen complete Hi-Lift jacks mounted to both rear corners of a trailer, and used as stabilizer jacks. Since you can buy just the parts, has anyone used just the bar & foot (with a pin) through a piece of rectangular tubing as a leveling legs?

My though is that I'd weld a round rotating jack mount (like you see used with Bulldog jacks up front) on the corners of the rear bumper that would allow the rectangular "guide brackets" to be removed when traveling. The whole assembly could be added on the rear corners quickly with a hitch pin, and the height of the stabilizing legs set with a plunger pin of some sort.

Hi-Lift legs (I'd probably get the 36" ones) are around $18 each, and the cast feet around $15 each.

Has anyone done something like this?
Craig

XJBANKER

Explorer
The Conqueror trailers have a round bar that drops down in the back on each corner. There is a screw almost like a set screw Idea that tightens agains the metal to keep it from moving. I think that the high lift is a good idea if you cound actually jack the trailer up and down vs having to have it perfect to fit a pin through a hole.

IMG_8599.jpg

wesel123

Explorer
This is the design I came up with. Fergie on this site welded the crap out of them (awsome job btw) and they are great for leveling the trailer when it used to have a RTT.

Picture012.jpg

1x1_Speed_Craig

Thanks guys. It would essentially be the same concept as the Conqueror trailer, only using the off-the-shelf Hi-Lift parts. My idea behind the Hi-Lift parts is that all the holes are obviously ready to go vs. buying tubing (round or square) and having to drill a plethora of adjustment holes...I could see that getting really old really quick.

I definitely like the jacks on your trailer, wesel123 - nice work!

Here's my camping/utility trailer build thread. It'll be used 80-90% of the time for basic "utility", with the balance used for camping.

A couple notes:
  1. I want the leveling legs removable, as I don't want them sticking up past the Tacoma truck bed all the time. They'll be added, when needed, for camping use (I plan on getting a basic truck tent at some point).
  2. I need to conserve $$$ so I can afford my high-zoot AT tongue box (w/12V power), my axle, tires, etc. While it would be nice to have, I can't foresee needing 2 complete Hi-Lift jacks, but could see using basic leveling legs.

Craig

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Would that option be that much better than the normally $59 bull-dog jacks that have adjustable legs? I got mine for $50 each and they work great, doesn't seem like you'll be saving that much...

img_4167.jpg

img_4133.jpg

1x1_Speed_Craig

Would that option be that much better than the normally $59 bull-dog jacks that have adjustable legs? I got mine for $50 each and they work great, doesn't seem like you'll be saving that much...

Valid point. I like your set-up, BTW. What model/part # did you get for your jack? I have been trying to find a site that details the differences between all the various Bulldog models, but never did find a manufacturer site for them.

Craig

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Valid point. I like your set-up, BTW. What model/part # did you get for your jack? I have been trying to find a site that details the differences between all the various Bulldog models, but never did find a manufacturer site for them.

Craig

Here is the website bulldog jacks Fulton it will show you all the models and their specs

gasman

Adventurer
went pretty simple with mine.. exept for the threaded rod it was made with materials layin around the shop.. basically 2" sq tube welded inside this also served as a frame to my tailgate. thru the floor and welded to the frame inside the 2'' slides a piece of 1 1/2 drilled a couple of holes added some threaded rod and some feet and bobs your uncle i drop the legs and screw out the feet till its level
IMG_2226-1.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

when travelling the legs just pin up inside and you would never know they were there
IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

gasman

Adventurer
i like the high lift idea .. i wish i had of thought about that .. and it looks cool.. would have looked better on my m101a

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
They really do work great:

tent.JPG
decal2.JPG

Pull one pin and they slide off for other uses. A clevis keeps them raised for travel. Pull the clevis pin and jack up the trailer.

jack.JPG
jack2.JPG

Mine are mounted to a bar that is part of the rear hitch framework.

telwyn

Adventurer
went pretty simple with mine.. exept for the threaded rod it was made with materials layin around the shop.. basically 2" sq tube welded inside this also served as a frame to my tailgate. thru the floor and welded to the frame inside the 2'' slides a piece of 1 1/2 drilled a couple of holes added some threaded rod and some feet and bobs your uncle i drop the legs and screw out the feet till its level

when travelling the legs just pin up inside and you would never know they were there

I really like the way you did this - clean finish and unobtrusive. The hilift ones are great also, but this way gets my vote.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
so at 15kg each thats another 60lbs of weight using highlifts

I can think of lots of other things I'd rather carry for that weight

thats 40 bottles of wine

60 500ml cans of beer

:costumed-smiley-007

Either home depot or the other big hardware store in the US - I forget the name carries square section tubing with holes in its metal rack
with two sizes that slide into each other and with a zinc coating

probably weigh about 4lbs each

telwyn

Adventurer
Correct - so not a perfect solution. It does have an adustable height/footprint for minor adjustment, but it's probably not great for leveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12