Who uses a roof rack and what for?

Forum Ninja

Big lurker, small poster
Hi guys,

Been lurking here for ages and finally had something worth posting (well, maybe not...). I was looking into getting a roof rack for my van as I'd always planned on fitting one, but then when I started thinking about it, I wasn't sure why I needed one.

There have been a couple of occasions where it would have been handy, but not vital, so not sure if it's worth the reduced fuel economy by having stuff up there. So was just wondering what people use theirs for, in case I've just completely forgotten about something (wouldn't be the first time!).

I'm looking into carrying out a WVO conversion and would likely need to mount the extra tank where the spare wheel is (behind the towbar), so might come in handy for carrying that, but could prob stash it elsewhere on the vehicle.

This in the van btw. 1990 Mitsubishi Delica (4WD). Somewhat dinky compared to some of the monsters on here! :smiley_drive:

16851_297833320020_683565020_4970790_1582789_n.jpg
\

16851_297844065020_683565020_4970952_4002528_n.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I have one for my XJ, going to be 'remodeling' it or building a new one.

I carry my spare tire (33" spare doesn't fit in stock XJ location in interior),

my Hi-Lift,

And fuel cans and chainsaw (if I have them with)

Comes down to a personal choice, really.

But there are some nice roofracks out there, that are fairly flat.

Great when needed, and not bad on milage when empty.

mudbutt

Explorer
I have one on my XJ as well.

I use it to store camping gear (tents, bags, chairs, clothes). All the ice chests and food go in the rear storage.

I also added a light bar to it and a shovel mount.

Attachments

• Mojave Road 182 (Medium).jpg
    Mojave Road 182 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 171

timh

Explorer
Couldn't live without mine at this point. We don't have the RTT anymore but it still gets filled up with as much as possible. I don't worry about the weight up there as we aren't driving it like a sportscar and we don't do much serious 4 wheeling to need to worry about being top heavy. With 2 adults, 1 kid, and 2 dogs space gets used up quickly!

IMG_0780.jpg

XJINTX

Explorer
I use mine to save space inside :)

Comes in handy when out and about... seems each trip I pack a bit different.

11a.jpg

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We use ours to carry a shovel and high lift most of the time. Depending on the trip we sometimes carry 5 gal gas and/or water cans up there as well.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I have a half-rack on the Discovery. Mostly it is a convenient place to mount lights, antennas and an awning which is my primary purpose. It's also a nice place to put some of the dirtier items I don't want inside the vehicle (spill kit, funnels, muddy boots, etc.), and I have a large/flat storage box up there for just that reason.

I kept the back half empty so I can use it for extra gear on longer trips. If we do anything over about 3 days the kitchen box and much of our food goes up there, along with the PETT toilet, camp chairs and table. I never put fuel or water up there, the thought of having that much weight that high up freaks me out... :Wow1:

96r50

Observer
I have a pair of Yakima crossbars that I use for hauling canoes and kayaks around. I have some bike trays that work with them too, but I prefer the hitch rack for bikes, since lifting 40-50lbs 6' in the air is a challenge. When I'm not using the rack it comes off and goes inside the truck or the shed. I haven't seen the need for a big gear rack yet, but I don't have kids/dogs/RTTs/kitchen sinks to haul around either ;)

IMG_0998.JPG

I was surprised to see a Delica the other day (they're really rare around here) but we saw tons of them last summer in BC. They are cool rigs!

stolenheron

Explorer
I've got a hannibal rack on my disco.

got 2 jerry cans and my hi-lift jack up there. (definitely dont drive around with them full unless they are needed). hellas front and rear are mounted on there as well which is a huge plus.

i've hauled my kayak plenty of times, extra stuff on moves/trips, even a steel wheelbarrow. its very convenient. i dont know if i could ever own another SUV without one.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I have a custom built roof rack, w/various configurations...

Everyday:

Just the rack + spare tire + hi-lift + backup lights

Summer:

Add yakima spacebooster (clothes/camping gear) + 4 lights

Other stuff added as needed:

Recovery box
1st aid box
rear rack extension (for more lightweight stuff)
2 action packers of camping stuff
kayak mount + kayak (now sold)

J*C*M

Traveller
I think i just found a shell for my bed, if it works out, then one of the first things i'm doing is getting a roof rack to relocate my axe/shovel, water/fuel cans, and high lift out of the bed to make it a little more comfortable back there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179