Aux fuel tank electric transfer

corax

Explorer
I finally had time to finish the aux tank transfer pump wiring. It's supposed to be a gravity feed system with a hose running into a fitting where the main tank drain plug is on the bottom. The problem with this is that I don't like the idea of having something hang even lower off the main tank, especially a brass fitting that could drain all my fuel if it gets hit hard enough.

So I thought of putting a shut valve on it (elec or manual) and have the aux tank drain into the filler neck vent tube for the main tank, but the filler neck is too high and I don't want to put a hole lower than that in the side of the main tank because it'll probably leak eventually.

My final option is an electric fuel pump, but fuel pumps can get damaged when they run dry from heat build up and I would have no way of knowing when to shut off the extra pump. I can't find anything saying they are safe for short periods of dry running.

This is what I came up with, though it may be a bit over engineered it should save the pump from running dry, and if the rest of the system wiring fails a jumper wire across the load side of the relay will still turn on the fuel pump.

auxtanktransfer-rev.jpg

Red: fuel lines
Dk Blue: wiring
Parts: .25gpm flow switch found on Ebay for $4, fuel pump, momentary & toggle switches, relay

- the toggle switch turns on the system, but the relay won't turn on the fuel pump until there is flow
- press the momentary switch to bypass the flow switch and turn on the relay and fuel pump
- fuel starts to transfer and closes the flow switch, the momentary switch can be let go now as the relay will stay on
- when the aux tank runs dry the flow switch opens deactivating the relay and fuel pump

I also ran a wire from the fuel pump V+ side of the relay to the switch panel through an LED and on to ground as a "fuel pump on" indicator light

Installing the tank is easy, so I'll leave out the bits about drilling holes and bolting it up. It's the details that'll make it trouble free in the long run . . . like an exhaust heat shield so the gas doesn't get too hot (excessive vapor/boiling)
100_4346.jpg

view from the wheel well
100_4350.jpg

transfer pump (universal, for a carb'd car) - I used 1/4" riv-nuts to attach it to the frame rail (there is an inline filter on it now)
100_4351.jpg

a bit of protection to keep the hoses from chaffing against the frame rail, it also keeps them tied together nicely so they don't move around much
100_4352.jpg

here's the flow switch I used (if says "water" but I looked it up and the material that the internal parts are made of shouldn't be affected by fuel)
100_7358.jpg

100_7357.jpg

a few months ago I had to repair the main tank fuel pump bracket because the metal line on the outside finally rusted through, while I was at it I added an extra line to dump the fuel from the aux tank into the main tank (9 o'clock), I had actually extended that fitting down to the bottom of the tank in the hopes that it would work like a siphon once fuel starts flowing (in case the pump fails/doesn't work out I could still use the aux tank w/ pump removed)
100_7363.jpg

*note* if you're installing the same type of tank I used, the capped off Evap Vapor Vent line at the 5 o'clock position can be used instead of drilling a new fitting into the plate

I tossed my spare tire back under there and noticed that the tank didn't affect my departure angle at all (+ I can easily fit a 33" spare now), though if I drop off an obstacle the spare will definately take the hit. If I know I'm hitting any rough trails I'll just take the spare off and toss it in the back. I am planning on making some kind of spare carrier for the rear bumper - I always liked the idea of being able to carry 2 spare tires for longer trips.
100_4355.jpg

rear view
100_4356.jpg

Switches installed - turn the toggle on, press the momentary switch till there's enough liquid to trigger the flow switch, let go of the momentary and the pump runs till the toggle is switched off or the pressure in the line drops (aux tank empty) - the blue LED is wired to the transfer pump V+ wire so it is on any time the pump is running (click pic for video)

With the extra fuel on board I should be able to get a range just shy of 600 miles normal driving
(17 gal factory tank + 14 gal aux tank) x 19mpg = 589 miles

Last edited:

Excelsior

Observer
I love red capped switches like that.

On an unrelated note, I had that same head unit in my STI. Loved that thing.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Great install.

Only once comment about the pump...

Even if the pump uses the same material as a flammable fuel, it should be the electronics that I would pay real attention too.
Fuel + electrical spark = not a good day.

Just food for thought.
Who's tank did you use?
Downey?

Hedge

Adventurer
That's a nice design. It gives me some good food for thought as I'm preparing to install my sub-tank. Thanks for posting it up.

corax

Explorer
Great install.

Only once comment about the pump...

Even if the pump uses the same material as a flammable fuel, it should be the electronics that I would pay real attention too.
Fuel + electrical spark = not a good day.

Just food for thought.
Who's tank did you use?
Downey?

I used a Northwest Metal Products tank, which is the same brand that Downey sold.

I'm using a universal off-the-shelf electric fuel pump. The big block of brass in that pic is just the flow switch which I'm assuming has non-submerged electrical contacts (though I didn't think about the seals which keep the contact dry).

*edit* just double-checked the GEMS Sensors site for this flow switch - the 0-rings are viton and the piston is Polysulfone, so I'm good

seanz0rz

Adventurer
a simpler way is to wire a relay to the low fuel warning light (in a toyota, this light comes on with at least one gallon left in the tank, usually more like 3), so when the light comes on, it pumps fuel from the aux. tank to the main tank. as soon as that light goes out, the aux pump shuts off. supplement this with another relay that will cut power to the aux pump if the sender of the aux tank reads "empty" and a switch to bypass this (that last bit works on aux tanks that have a float like an OEM tank)

nice writeup though. sure do wish they made one of those for my vehicle. i might just have to go pick up an F150 tank for an aux.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
X2 on nice design. I will likely copy it when I add my second tank-- just have to wait till I move out of CA to legally do it.

yaknowthatguy

while it's a cool install, and definitely a great idea to have extra fuel on your truck, you may be skirting the dark edges of federal laws with this. Gravity fed tanks aren't particularly legal as they pose spill and fire hazards. To be compliant, you might want to take a look at the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the 1990 Clean Air Act (both apply). Something goes bad and you could be liable for pretty hefty fines. Odds are in your favor, sure, but eating a $200,000 fine over a $500 fuel system upgrade would be painful.

corax

Explorer
I don't think there's really a whole lot of skirting unless it applies to state regs (CA doesn't allow on board fuel capacity to exceed factory volume to prevent overwhelming the Evap System). Not sure if it makes a difference, but this particular tank is CARB certified and has a roll over valve to prevent fuel leaking into the Evap system which it is plumbed to for vapor recovery + this tank was never installed as a gravity feed

100_0448.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998