Martin Canyon/Smiley Rock Trail Rehab

tmac

Adventurer
Hey Mark,
I just wanted to double check with you...I will be camping with the Tucson crowd off of Patato Patch Friday night, you mentioned the WAVE won't be able to make it down the trail to the worksite from there...
So my plan is to meet everyone at Safeway...but then the question is will the WAVE make it from Safeway to the worksite? Or should my Veronica & I ride with some else in the work detail?
All thoughts welcome

Lance I should have room if seats are needed. I don't think the trail is the problem, I think the height of the WAVE is the concern.
I can do a recon when I get there Friday and let you know when you arrive. I don't think you will get to the site the way Mark is going.
If I am thinking correct they are going to come up thru Martin Canyon but I could be wrong.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey Mark,
I just wanted to double check with you...I will be camping with the Tucson crowd off of Patato Patch Friday night, you mentioned the WAVE won't be able to make it down the trail to the worksite from there...
So my plan is to meet everyone at Safeway...but then the question is will the WAVE make it from Safeway to the worksite? Or should my Veronica & I ride with some else in the work detail?
All thoughts welcome

Lance, there are some low hanging tree branches coming in from the bottom. I suspect that since you are a full 30" taller than the PW, it could be a problem.

I have two open seats in the truck. Prescott NF Ranger Ron Rodgers will also be with me as well. If you need them, they are yours!

tmac

Adventurer
Lance, there are some low hanging tree branches coming in from the bottom. I suspect that since you are a full 30" taller than the PW, it could be a problem.

I have two open seats in the truck. Prescott NF Ranger Ron Rodgers will also be with me as well. If you need them, they are yours!

Last time I saw the WAVE it was 12 feet to the top of the rack:Wow1:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey now....don't be a hater :)
The WAVE is only 10ft tall at the roof rack, well then there are the antennas.

Good to know there are plenty of seats aval, thanks guys.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Mark, I ran the trail Wednesday evening and the mudd is getting better, but everyone should be ready for the cattle pond to be wet.

On a side note, I am having trouble with the emissions junk on the new 4runner, so I may be a noisy truck, but I still will be there.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear that - the soil might be easier to work! It will also be a lot faster driving some U channels.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it. I'm on my way up to Flagstaff right now to help a buddy who blew out a headgasket on his 1500 hemi. I'm really quite upset that I can't make it out :( :( :( :(

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
What a great day!

Thanks to all 20 volunteers who did a fine job of rehabbing the hill climb, pounding in U channel posts, and adding some pretty impressive barricades to the stock tank exits/entrances. We knocked it out by 1:30 or so!

Thanks to FS Ranger Ron Rodgers for his expertise in instructing us on what needed to be done!

Many thanks to Expeditions West for sponsoring the event. We handed out some swag thanks to Scott's generosity! I'm amazed at how far people came to help on this - folks from Tucson, Phoenix, Flagstaff and the Prescott area all made it a breeze!

I'm not sure how many folks ended the day at the AT/OJ Open House - if you missed it, there were several great presentations as well as top notch chow. Scott's tail of adventure on the Mongolian Rally was more than impressive!

As soon as I get some photos, they will be posted up. I forgot my camera, but Mr. B'Taco took plenty of shots for us.

Again, thanks to all of you, and perhaps we'll get to work on another project sometime!

Mark

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great job for putting this together Mark and I will keep an eagle eye out for anything else you come up with.
Agreed on the quality of the volunteers and the work done, not to mention how well everyone worked together moving some serious rocks.

Another thanks from me to Expeditions West for the cool goodies and a big Hello to the Flagstaff folks I had not met before...and thanks to the Tucson crowd for driving up.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Mark,

There's a number of ways to advocate for open trails. As you and I discussed at the open house, attending public meetings is one way to advocate. Getting tools in the hands of volunteers is what really gets things done. Thank you for your efforts.

Did Ron have all the volunteers sign a time sheet? If not, I would try to track down those names asap.

Excellent job. Smiley Rock is a great trail. It's near to my heart as it remains the only trail that gave my body damage. :)

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info last evening, and I'd like to setup the meeting we spoke about with the PNF.

I never envisioned myself getting more involved in the political aspect of keeping trails/roads open than attending public meetings when I can. More often than not that is tough due to working 5 tens since the majority of the meetings are held during working hours. I'm beginning to realize I need to do more, and it's good to know I have folks such as you, Dave (Upatree), and Scott to mentor the effort.

Ron did get everyone signed up on a sheet for the volunteer project.

I'll be contacting the Prescott Courier once I have photos in hand, and will be writing a letter to the Editorial Director and Publisher of a 'zine produced locally :sombrero: I'll also post up the results on the AZ BBS's to spread the word on the repairs done, and that more damage could result in the closure of a great local trail.

And to repeat from Ron's talk on PNF rules, the entire PNF is closed to off trail use. The forest is 100% vehicle travel restricted with the exception of the designated OHV use areas. So, you must stay on signed roads only. The PNF has a new map that shows roads and trails for vehicle/atv/utv use. They need our input on the accuracy of the routes shown.

Mark

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
All of that sounds great, Mark. One thing you could do to get a jump start on your advocacy campaign is to start making your own list of trails you think the community cannot afford to lose. Prioritize that list as best you can. The unorganized advocacy groups simply say they want all the trails as-is, without any compromise. That puts the forest service in a tough spot. If you go into this looking prepared and flexible, they'll be more receptive and you'll have more wins than losses.

It's the give and take nature of this type of advocacy that is important. Recently Jason Williams came to the mountain bike community to let us know an unauthorized trail needed to be removed from the forest. It was a fantastic trail, but when Jason asked us to destroy it, we did by the following weekend with his assistance. The MTB community lost a trail, but gained serious points with the PNF.

I would maybe suggest starting to rally a few more voices like your own. You might need to form a well organized front so the PNF has a point of contact they can reach out to.

The good news is most of this stuff is pretty easy, fun and feels good. Instead of sitting through fruitless public meetings, you can get in the woods with the PNF guys and have a positive impact. It also galvanizes the community, shows your collective passion and puts the public lands in the public hands.

I can see right where you're going with this. A few years ago I was just a concerned mountain biker wanting more trails. That was hundreds of hours of trail advocacy ago. I fell into it *** backwards, but I'm very glad I did.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
In many respects the 4x4 community should have an easier time since we can't create new trails, just try to protect what is already open. In fact, there are only two legal challenging trails in the Prescott. Smiley Rock and the DeSoto are it. Perhaps we can try to get the Maverick Ridge road re-opened as a thru trail. Than would be a good one to try and establish a re pore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle