Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

This old style Mombasa fits great for width. It's narrow than the cab, and I purposely built my rack low so that the tent would be lower than the cab also to help with aerodynamics. It may not help that much in reality, but for long overland type trips stretching every drop of fuel helps, and might mean one less fuel can I have to take with me. Also, keeping the weight a little lower should help with handling on highspeed sections on trails, when compared to a tent mounted up at roof height or above.

the downside to this particular tent on the early DC tacoma is that its long. The DC is a 5' bed and this tent is 6' long so it hangs over the tailgate by nearly a foot. Not ideal but it still works.

Box Rocket

Put the rack through its paces with a very thorough test this past weekend. Few Photos from a 1500 mile trip over Labor day weekend. Rack was solid as a rock.

_MG_9288.jpg

_MG_9584.jpg

_MG_9969.jpg

_MG_9837.jpg

UCE107.jpg

_MG_9807.jpg

_MG_9749.jpg

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice build. I wanted to get a rtt mount system like that, but the only issue for me was cargo security. Thought of welding plates to the side or something, but got too complicated. Wish someone would make a half-height shells.

Box Rocket

Nice build. I wanted to get a rtt mount system like that, but the only issue for me was cargo security. Thought of welding plates to the side or something, but got too complicated. Wish someone would make a half-height shells.

Look at the setup that was on the old Expeditions West Tacoma after Scott Brady sold it. That truck has been sold again, but it had a lower deck with locking panels.

Box Rocket

Finally got some time to do a little more work on the truck. My wife was out of town for a few days this week so I was home playing "Mr. Mom" and I needed something to do while the kids were in school. So, I picked up some surplus steel and went to work. I had a scrap peice of 2" tubing left over from a mess up on a rollcage build, and a pretty rusty peice of 3x5 square tubing. I grabbed a receiver tube from Harbor Freight and went to work.

I've been meaning to do something about my rear bumper for a while. I wanted more protection than the stock bumper and needed a way to tow my little trailer. I looked at several of the available aftermarket ones but in the end I'm short on cash, but had some time and a welder. So about $80 later here's what I ended up with.

The bends that were already in the round tube worked out perfectly. Just had to cut them to fit. I need to get a little more tubing so I can tie the slider portion back into the frame. Otherwise it's ready to go.

_MG_0157.jpg

_MG_0154.jpg

_MG_0152.jpg

Made a little bracket to fit into the receiver for the license plate. I might look for one of those little flip-up brackets for it, but this will work for now.
_MG_0145.jpg

_MG_0159.jpg

I like that it looks like it "goes" with the sliders.
_MG_0162.jpg

_MG_0160.jpg

taco2go

Explorer
Slick work, tight lines, and a photogenic truck to boot :).
I've been laboring over a simple bumper design like that. Very nice.

Box Rocket

It's the small things that take the longest......right? I've had the track system for years and when I built my bed rack I built it with an slot on each side for some of the track system. After having the rack painted the track fit a little too tightly so I had to "machine" the track width down slightly, but I finally got it all installed last week. Rack is officially finished with more tie-down options than I know what to do with.

sorry for the iPhone pic.

racktracks.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12