Syncro vs. 4x4 Ford?

1sweetvan

Adventurer
OK, this is really not meant to bash one or the other.
I'm watching all this great footage of Westy and Syncro action and wondering if a Full size (4x4 or not )van can do the same stuff. Is it just the whole "Westy Culture" that promotes this or is the Syncro really more capable? It's lighter and smaller which would make it more mimble, it even floats!
I bought a Ford for various good reasons with the hope of one day converting it to 4x4, now I'm wondering.
Botton line: All things considered, even $$$, which is the more capable vehicle?

D

Deleted member 9101

For me, unless the VW had a TDI that was putting out more power than stock... I'd got for the ford hands down. Way more pulling power, more room, easier parts availability in the US/Canada, and arguably more reliable. I have looked at the VW's for years.. but can't get over the cost.. its insane how much you pay for what you get in return.... but thats just me.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
For me, unless the VW had a TDI that was putting out more power than stock... I'd got for the ford hands down. Way more pulling power, more room, easier parts availability in the US/Canada, and arguably more reliable. I have looked at the VW's for years.. but can't get over the cost.. its insane how much you pay for what you get in return.... but thats just me.

Hard to argue any of that but here's a few thoughts...

I'd go for the ford hands down. If I could have afforded an SMB that’s what I would be driving. However, then I would have never fallen in love w/ my Syncro and that would be terrible

Way more pulling power. No doubt but I don't pull anything and I'm going camping so I'm not in a rush :)

More room. Yes, but incredibly roomy for the smaller footprint. And the passenger seat leg room is twice as roomy. Sit in one. One look out the window and you’ll be in love.

Easier parts availability in the US/Canada. No doubt about it. They simply have not been built since 91'. However MOST parts can still be had easily. The VW community is out there for sure!

Arguably more reliable. With the stock 2.1 engine no doubt the Ford is more reliable but any vehicle is only as reliable as it is maintained.

its insane how much you pay for what you get in return.
Pay me now or pay me later but eventually we all pay! I've had the most incredible experiences in my compact 4wd campervan I can't even begin to tell you. There's nothing on the road that drives like it. Riding over the wheel with no hood in front, there’s no better view! It's just a matter of pro's and con's and what's important to you :) There is no better or worse. In the end it's just a means to get us outdoors!

Either you're a Syncro guy or you’re not...A Syncro is all about the experience and culture, and yes they are incredibly capable rigs.

Cheers

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I've never driven a Vanagon. One thing everybody always mentions is the forward driving position and the sideways motion when taking a corner. I totaly get that. I've driven truck for a couple of decades and the most memorable truck I ever owned was my 78' Freightliner Cabover. The ride totaly sucked, but the view from the drivers seat the nicest I've ever had.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Vanderpooch pretty much nailed it. You are either a syncro guy or your not. I like syncros and think they are a great package. However as for capablility their drive train is fragile at best. When they are running they run good and like all 4wd vehicles they will blow your mind on the capability with the right person behind the wheel. If you want tough and rugged my vote will always be for a ford I regularly drive my ford van on trails with ratings that I have never seen a syncro attack. That is not to say they could not do it, I am just saying syncro owners do not normally attack trails of this caliber and I do it all the time. Ask a syncro owner and they will always have a laid back attitude on whether or not they make it to their destination or when they make it their. While I admire this attitude I lean more towards my time off is limited and I would like to get to my destination sooner or later.

Toolman

Explorer
I drive one of the busiest freeways in CA everyday and I've seen some crazy stuff.. but I've never seen a Synchro in person. Believe me every Van I see gets a good lookin' at. I know they exist, I like the pictures I've seen on this site and I know they can get places, but all I see is Ford Vans all day, they range from the 60's to present day driving along. Contractors of all trades drive em, delivery companies, nurseries, schools, carpools, the government, plumbers, Ford Vans are everywhere.
I think a snychro would be awesome for me, until the day I want to tow my TJ.
If I didn't have the TJ or want to be able to tow I would consider it..

There isn't a better.
What's better for me, isn't what's better for you.
BTW I like Ford

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I think i started a thread about this somewhere as well. I have a 2WD vanagon right now, and am selling to get a 4WD Ford.

There are a few reasons i've decided against a syncro, but i must admit, number 1 is the price. To get a Syncro to where i'd be happy with it, would take a lot of money and work. First you have to put a subaru (or TDI, or Ford, or SOMETHING) in there for an engine. Then you have to make it into a camper and put a pop-top or a high top on it (unless you paid 15-20 grand to get one that was already a camper), then you have to get the transmission geared up, then you have to insulate the interior from noise and vibration, then you put in a disconnect-shaft for the front wheels or replace the viscous coupler, then.... And none of those things are cheap.

Might have to do a fair amount of the same things for an older ford, but not quite as many i think, and they're not as expensive to do (i think). And of course, if you're considering an ACTUAL sportsmobile, those are far more money than a syncro. I would also argue they are FAR more van in pretty much every category. One thing that appeals is the relative ruggedness and affordability of the 4x4 Ford drivetrain as compared to the syncro, as well as the availability of junkyard parts, etc.

That said, the VW is a lot of fun to drive, and mine gets over 20mpg with the subaru. I may ruffle some feathers here, but the '80s Fords i've sat in have actually had better visibility. At 6' tall, i have to hunch over a little to look out and UP out of my westy. In the fords the roofline is higher and i can see UP better. In the westy of course there is no hood to see, but even in the ford i can just barely see it. It's certainly not extending way out in front of me and blocking the view.

I do like sitting above the front wheel though, there is something great about that. Especially off-road. I can't lock my knees while driving my vw though. In the ford I can, although i have a little less side-to-side space.

Anyway, you'll have a lot of fun in either, i wouldn't stress it too much.

If i'm broke down in remote alaska or mexico, or just any small town, i'd sure rather be looking for ford parts than for a mix of vw and subaru parts. My VW has never really broken on me though. I've put 10k on it i think so far, in about a year and a half.

2 best things about the VW: 1.amount of usable space from such a small footprint. 2. Turning radius.

I may (definitely!) cry when someone buys my westy and drives it away :)

Last edited:

Patman

Explorer
For me it came down to one thing...

My wife!!

She could never get over the Fords and their (undeserving) stigma of "that van parked by the elementery school"

Like its been said, you're either a Syncro person or not, I have recently become a Syncronaut, but would still love an SMB in the future, once my better half warms up to the idea.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I love the Syncros, I've wanted one since high school, but as mentioned by others here already I will probably never own one because of the price. Spending $20k+ on a 20+ year-old vehicle that will still need some work is very hard for me to swallow. I'm also not sure I could ever spend $50k+ on a Ford, so I'll probably never own an SMB either.

Although I'm not in the market for anything right now I do find myself checking craigslist every so often for the poor-mans syncro: the Toyota Hi Ace. If I could find one of those in decent shape for a grand or so I'd probably pick it up!

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
OK, this is really not meant to bash one or the other.
I'm watching all this great footage of Westy and Syncro action and wondering if a Full size (4x4 or not )van can do the same stuff. Is it just the whole "Westy Culture" that promotes this or is the Syncro really more capable? It's lighter and smaller which would make it more mimble, it even floats!
I bought a Ford for various good reasons with the hope of one day converting it to 4x4, now I'm wondering.
Botton line: All things considered, even $$$, which is the more capable vehicle?

A Syncro is surprisingly capable off road, I cant comment on the other constructively as I have never driven one. I have two Syncros ones a Westy and the other a double cab and the clip below of my Westy might help you make your mind up, (I love um :D)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33WGHwOVk6s"]YouTube - My VW T3 1.9td Westfalia Syncro, going off road, and through rivers..[/ame]

jed

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Last night exploring in the woods. I didn't find anything to challenging a few cool guy shots but fun none the less :)
I love my Syncro!

DSC_6519.jpg

DSC_6509.jpg

DSC_6502.jpg

DSC_6494.jpg

DSC_6490.jpg

Not sure a Ford 4x4 would fit :p

DSC_6482.jpg

DSC_6453.jpg

DSC_6438.jpg

DSC_6324.jpg

Forum statistics