My Wandering Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCHauler

Adventurer
/\ What he said. Use the oil funds collected to purchase the valve seals and take that generous gentleman's offer. Not only is it a good "now" plan, but it puts you and your truck in a better place for "tomorrow".

Explorer
Pretty smart plan guys.

The kid inside me wants to see how far the crippled LC can make it under its own power, but I'm not the guy who has to rebuild whats left of it either.

If you have the time, I have a garage and all the tools you need if you want to tackle the valve guide seals. I am just over in Quantico--a short hop from Front Royal. I would also be willing to help when I am not working. I have an FSM for your rig and plenty of wrenching experience.

I have an airbed and plenty of chow as well....

Let me know if I can help.

Also, have you tried some of that engine restore stuff with the seal conditioner in it? I don't have a recommendation on brand, but some if it works ok from what I have heard....

I'm contemplating all my options right now given my time frame. After going through every option I have and your great offer and given my now limited time due to this hiccup I think my best option is to stick to the plan that has now been set in place. I will discuss why later. I have to say all this is extremely overwhelming. Basically, I am taking each option and thoroughly going through it and mapping the options out to decide what is the best option in the long run of this trip. Thank you for the offer.

This Cruiser is in a terrible state and the engine flat out needs to be put out of its misery. I think we have a good plan put together.

Yes I have used engine restore.

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I'm contemplating all my options right now given my time frame. After going through every option I have and your great offer and given my now limited time due to this hiccup I think my best option is to stick to the plan that has now been set in place. I will discuss why later. I have to say all this is extremely overwhelming. Basically, I am taking each option and thoroughly going through it and mapping the options out to decide what is the best option in the long run of this trip. Thank you for the offer.

This Cruiser is in a terrible state and the engine flat out needs to be put out of its misery. I think we have a good plan put together.

I'm not sure my last post was clear. You are about to drive right past a low mile engine/tranny/transfer case that can be test driven for $1600. Just wanted to be sure you'd seen it.

I'm not sure my last post was clear. You are about to drive right past a low mile engine/tranny/transfer case that can be test driven for $1600. Just wanted to be sure you'd seen it.

I'm sorry I did not see that. That said I can not afford it and I no longer have the time. I just now need to get to AZ. Once I am there if my Cruiser is out of commission for two weeks it won't be too much of an issue.Being out of commission here is an issue. I have several short term job offers in AZ that I would be an idiot to miss so I need to get to AZ now. I factored in a lot of time to get to Overland Expo and Montana. Now I am eating up that time. I'm adapting to this new situation and if I need to I will adapt some more. Even with a good plan now set in place all options are still on the table until tomorrow when we go to get Jerry's hitch put on my Cruiser, but getting the Cruiser to Flagstaff seems to be the most logical option. Once the hitch is on I am putting my foot down and stick to the new plan. I hate having time frames, but sometimes its a fact of life and I am in no position to to ignore them.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

Phil, not really another option, but, I am also not far from Front Royal (east of Fredericksburg). I do not have a place to tackle a job like valve guide seals, but I do have a large house with a spare bedroom. You are welcome to stay here for a while until you can get things straightened out with your ride.

I also have a welder you can use for your tow bar plan....

Last edited:
Phil, not really another option, but, I am also not far from Front Royal (east of Fredericksburg). I do not have a place to tackle a job like valve guide seals, but I do have a large house with a spare bedroom. You are welcome to stay here for a while until you can get things straightened out with your ride.

I also have a welder you can use for your tow bar plan....

Jim that is an awesome offer and I would love to take you up on it just to meet you, but we need to have Jerry's friend make us an adapter to make it work for my Cruiser. Tomorrow we are heading to Manassas, once that is done the plan is set in stone.

XJINTX

Explorer
Blue Skies!!!

I am happy for you and the fact you are doing and not just complaining!

Not sure of your route but if you travel I35 in central Texas waco area you can certainly take a break at our place!!!

Keep us posted...:victory:

chasespeed

Explorer
Phil....

Keep at it man... one way or the other, stick with your goals...... VERY happy to see you moving forward... congrats.

I really wish I wasnt working so damn much, and really wish I coulda got thing in the garage here in time.... I still havent even had a chance to run power into the garage yet....

You know the number, if you have any questions, at any point, call or text...

Good luck, and keep it rollin....
Chase

Klierslc

Explorer

Not a bad plan considering the circumstances. If it doesn't work out my offer stands...

Curious to know what other issues the engine has that it needs to be put out its misery. I can fix the rough idle when cold and likely the tranny codes. Does it knock in the bottom end? Compression numbers? Don't give up on her yet....

bigwebb83

I don't see this ending up well. No offence to the OP but he is all over the place mentally and this whole thing just seems poorly thought out. The vehicle doesn't seem fit to take a cross town trip in much less cross country. It's inevitably going to die on this trip and he has no ability or money to fix it.

Learning to adapt

My journey may have started on the wrong foot, but due to the generosity of others, it appears that I will not have to head back to Connecticut. I had planned this trip to be a soul searching adventure and a means to acquire useful skills. 300 miles from home it was looking like it would all be a bust. Thankfully and embarrassingly, members of Expedition Portal stepped up with ideas and support. After a couple days my host here in Virginia and I both came to the conclusion that towing my Land Cruiser to Arizona was the best option.

I will admit, luck is rarely on my side and Monday showed me that I was still in that rut. Maybe I wasn't though. The day before my departure, ExPo member JerryYukon sent me a message stating that I could sleep at his place in Front Royal, Virginia instead of my original plan to stay at a KOA in Harpers Ferry. A good dinner and a warm place to sleep trump a KOA any day. Little did I know, but this would be the best decision I have made in a long time and luck really was on my side despite.

Driving up the mountain road to his house my hopes for the future were disappearing as the smoke poured out my tailpipe. That night was a stressful night, but as the suggestions and support came rolling in from members on Expedition Portal I started to realize I would make it to Arizona no matter what. After weighing all our options we had an idea. A few weeks from now Jerry was going to traveling a near similar route to mine plus he had a tow hitch on his Jeep that was not coming along. He then made an offer I couldn't refuse. We were going to find a way to attach his tow bar to my Cruiser and he was moving up his departure date closer to mine so I can be in AZ with enough time to visit friends, develop contacts, and repair the Cruiser before Overland Expo and my final destination in Montana.

With the tow bar stashed in the Cruiser, we headed to American Truck and Trailer Supply in Manassas. Thankfully, we had little issue getting there, although the Cruiser was still smoking and shaking. After some brain storming we came up with a simple idea and we were out of there before we knew it.

In a few days, after Jerry completes his pre-trip tasks, we will be back on the road. I will need to get to Flagstaff by March 15th. Instead of buying oil, funds have been allocated to towing the Cruiser. Jerry and I both felt this was the most logical option. There is no perfect option to this turn of events, but I need to learn to adapt and let life happen instead of forcing it to happen.

IMG_0124.jpg

Last edited:

bigwebb83

Thank you and welcome to ExPo.

Been here for a while just don't post. I trulyl don't mean any offense by my comments. I just don't see this ending up well. I hope I'm wrong though. It just seems like you've stacked the odds against yourself and don't really have many options if the ******** hits the fan. Good luck with your travels.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Good to see you still moving. I disagree with bigwebb83 and I'll leave it at that.

You're going to pull off the driveshafts for the tow out West, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle