Driving slow on fast freeways?

haven

Expedition Leader
My pet peeve is driving an unfamiliar road at night. I can manage the speed limit at night on most roads I haven't seen before, but the locals usually want to go considerably faster. So I have a mirror full of headlights as I try to find a turnout to let the locals by. I'm unwilling to pull over onto a dark unpaved pullout without slowing down and seeing where the deep holes and dropoffs are. This makes the locals all the more impatient. Can't please everyone all the time.

turbolab

Observer
i drive the highway 50miles 3 times a week and it drives me crazy people driving slow in the fast lane but if your in the slow lane who cares how fast your are going that is what that lanes is for, as for the truck drivers frack them i think they should all be limited to a speed and not go over it like 45mph if your worried about how much money your making maybe go to school and get a skilled trade like the rest of use trying to make a good living.:coffee:

bcrez

Adventurer
As someone who has driven a truck for a living before... either keep up..or get off...lol. Not trying to be a jerk but its extremely dangerous to be going that slow. As for the sign, it wont' help and the flashers will just cause more distractions.

I completely agree. With a little extra planning there are usually alternated to the Interstate where the speed limit will be around 55mph. I have come up on people in Colorado doing 50-55mph in a 75. At night, or in even mild weather this can be a real problem. Find an alternate route. Frontage roads, county roads, etc.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Find an alternate route. Frontage roads, county roads, etc.
re
As long as they are going minimum speeds, others are entitled to have them off the highways and inconvenienced on country roads? Really? No...really?

DrMoab

Explorer
re
As long as they are going minimum speeds, others are entitled to have them off the highways and inconvenienced on country roads? Really? No...really?

Depends on the minimum speeds. If the minimum speed is 45 and the speed limit is 75 then um...yeah, they are causing a danger.

Pskhaat

Depends on the minimum speeds. If the minimum speed is 45 and the speed limit is 75 then um...yeah, they are causing a danger.

I'm confused, if the posted minimum is 45 and the max at 75, why is it they causing danger vs. those in the upper range?

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm confused, if the posted minimum is 45 and the max at 75, why is it they causing danger vs. those in the upper range?

If you are doing 75, then people are not having to slow down and change lanes to get around you. You are not hindering traffic and and not having people run up being you at a high rate of speed.

Pskhaat

If you are doing 75, then people are not having to slow down and change lanes to get around you. You are not hindering traffic and and not having people run up being you at a high rate of speed.

Gotcha, so my speed and safety rights within the law are dictated by group think. Missed that one.

D

Deleted member 9101

Gotcha, so my speed and safety rights within the law are dictated by group think. Missed that one.

Just saying, you are putting yourself in a dangerous position by making the choice to travel at a speed slower than the flow of traffic. I really don't care how fast you go, just don't complain when people cut you off and tailgate you.

lbarcher

Adventurer
Maybe it's just me or maybe it's a Canadian thing but I don't have an issue travelling 5mph under the limit on our highways.
Our Jeep positively sucks fuel at 115km/h or faster (most on the major highway her run 120+). I usually cruise at 105ish.
Compound this with slightly undersized winter tires and slow is the word.

I think it's silly(and possibly illegal) to run your flashers unless you are seriously slow, half the limit slow.

Quill

Adventurer
Don't worry your fellow Canadians make up their speed here.:hehe: If I need to drive slower then I do. I do not let others intimidate me to go faster even when I am on a motorcycle. If I am going slow and backing up traffic on a two lane then I pull over. On a four lane there is a lane to pass. If you can't be patient enough to wait your turn to pass then driving isn't for you. Charter a airplane or a helicopter so you can fly there.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough

Anyone's rights notwithstanding, and no matter what the posted speed limit is in a given area, anyone traveling excessively above or below the average speed of traffic is much more likely to be involved in an accident with someone in that traffic flow than the drivers who are maintaining similar speeds. I don't feel that anyone traveling 55mph in a 65mph zone is necessarily posing a hazard, but if traffic is humming along at 75mph in that 65mph zone that suddenly becomes a much bigger deal. The speed necessary for safe travel should be dictated by the conditions whether they be dry, wet, icy, fast traffic, or slow traffic. And I'm not condoning speeding, just promoting awareness of your fellow drivers on the road whether they are traveling slower than you or faster.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Anyone's rights notwithstanding, and no matter what the posted speed limit is in a given area, anyone traveling excessively above or below the average speed of traffic is much more likely to be involved in an accident with someone in that traffic flow than the drivers who are maintaining similar speeds.
If you're going to say something that rings of basic truth, follow it with something else true.
This tidbit is true because American drivers are selfish, inattentive, distracted, and unskilled (present company excepted, of course). The criteria for a license is ridiculously easy compared to many other countries and we let our licensees renew without anything other than a check that doesn't bounce --- until they're about 100 years old... :Wow1:

tperkins

Observer
If you're going to say something that rings of basic truth, follow it with something else true.
This tidbit is true because American drivers are selfish, inattentive, distracted, and unskilled (present company excepted, of course). The criteria for a license is ridiculously easy compared to many other countries and we let our licensees renew without anything other than a check that doesn't bounce --- until they're about 100 years old... :Wow1:

Thats one of the saddest things about our licensing method. To be blunt, you get all these people talking about safe driving, not talking on the phone or texting, turning the music down, but none of that is really going to help until you actually teach people how to drive. Theres nothing wrong with the occasional phone call...if your not in traffic or something; its a whole different story if your driving 75 in a 65 during heavy traffic. If people KNEW how to drive, common sense (which isnt common) would dictate you move over for slower vehicles, and the opposite if you are moving faster.

I have three big pet peeves with traffic:
-People who dont signal for turns where then is traffic around
-People who move across multiple lanes when turning, if there is traffic, and obviously trucks and trailered vehicles arent counted here
-People that go 45 in a 65, with traffic going 75+, in the left lane.

Speed doesnt kill, people that cant drive kill. Look at the Autobahn in Germany, not too many problems there.

Anyway, I also second the idea previously mentioned about notifying truckers via CB of yourself, but it could be annoying having to do it constantly, so possibly only during uphill grades, bad weather, or other special conditions or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12