JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

jrueppel

Adventurer
Ah excellent! Thanks Suntinez! Really liking the rear awning. Going to have to talk to AT about it. Now wondering about how long it takes to put up. Stability in high winds, etc. Looks great.

Harp

Adventurer
I'd love to see that tent available for the regular Flippac and no need for the rain fly. Very nice setup.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Yep, :drool:

DSC_0218a.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg
This tent is looking FANTASTIC! What's the story; will this NEMO tent be the regular habitat tent, is it an option or just a prototype?

kb7our

Explorer
I suspect that positive feedback may help persuade final tent style choice for the AT Habitat. This one with a few mods has my vote hands down. Would like to see the rear awning attached to the JK so it can be used without the Habitat deployed and make sure the awning is nearly as fast to deploy as the actual Habitat. I think Nemo did a great job giving us a taste of what they can offer this project.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The dust is finally settling from OVX...literally, you know what I mean if you were there :Wow1:

The tent and rear awning by NEMO are prototypes. As in all prototyping, the goal is to learn and refine towards perfection. NEMO brings unique world class experience to the table for the Habitat and we look forward to what the future holds for an incredible fabric structure on the Habitat.

In the meantime, Ursa Minor Vehicles with whom we have been working collaboratively on the project and designed composite structure, is refining aspects of the hinges, torsion rod and interior finish. The NEMO JK shown at OVX represents the 2nd generation working shell prototype. While it is significantly better than the 1st, there is still more to do and we do not want to release it into production until we are satisfied that it meets the standard of excellence that you have come to expect from AT & UMV.

The prototype awning currently zips into the rear of the tent. It is stored away in a separate stuff sack that accommodates the poles. In its current configuration, it would be possible to crack open the top without fully deploying it and zip the awning structure to it. The set up time was under 5 minutes. Consideration has also been given to making it also attach to the sides of the tent. Any thoughts on this?

The prototype awning currently zips into the rear of the tent. It is stored away in a separate stuff sack that accommodates the poles. In its current configuration, it would be possible to crack open the top without fully deploying it and zip the awning structure to it. The set up time was under 5 minutes. Consideration has also been given to making it also attach to the sides of the tent. Any thoughts on this?

I think having it optional to attach the back or the side is a great idea. That way you could put it wherever you wanted to be depending on where the sun was. I like my awning off the back of my truck for the kitchen and at night but during the day there are times it would be nice to have it off one side or the other.

kb7our

Explorer
I think having it optional to attach the back or the side is a great idea. That way you could put it wherever you wanted to be depending on where the sun was. I like my awning off the back of my truck for the kitchen and at night but during the day there are times it would be nice to have it off one side or the other.

Another vote to have ability to locate the awning on either side or the back for ultimate flexibility. Even better if it can be deployed in these locations without the Habitat cranked open. Also, if the awning could be used with and without poles so the open side could be deployed to the ground would kick up flexibility yet another notch. I could see utilizing 2 awnings, one for the back and one for the side instead of a Fiamma with its extra weight mounted through the top.

Wade

DingusKahn

Adventurer

I like the idea of screen sides, at least for the rear awning. I would get two awnings. One for the rear and one for the pasenger side where the water is. If the two could be joined and side walls - even better. The material Cam used for that awning is so light that it allows larger sizes. The prototype was a good size I thought. Well the length was good. could be wider. As simple as his awning was, two size options would be good. Some don't want as much shade as we need here in the southwest.

jkfarrer

Love the rear awning prototype, will likely add this to my order. And great idea to have it on the side as long as it wouldn't interfere with the side access door...and as long as this wouldn't delay the release. ;)
Looking good. Can't wait to see it in person.

Ursa Minor

Q&a

Is there any particular reason for the sleeping area not beeing completely horizontal?

It's horizontal inside. What you may be seeing is that the cap of this prototype unit has a taper to it, in profile from the side it's thicker at the back than the front, mostly aesthetics but I am still adjusting the space inside needed for the poles & canvas.

The position of the bed surface inside is set by the poles at the front, and we dropped a level on the bed to finalize the position.

Of course, if you park on a slope...that's another story!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I think that a lightweight "Foxwing" type awning setup that wraps around for side and rear coverage would be ideal for the Habitat. Modular, maybe in two or even three joinable sections. Add zip on screen room sides or walls and you can really add "habitat"... ;)

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
I think that a lightweight "Foxwing" type awning setup that wraps around for side and rear coverage would be ideal for the Habitat. Modular, maybe in two or even three joinable sections. Add zip on screen room sides or walls and you can really add "habitat"... ;)

Um, what he said is the "ultimate" in flexibility!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
JK Pop up

Any truth to the rumor that Flippac is going to make a shell/camper for the JK/J8 jeeps?

I would love to see something to compete with the Earthroamer.

I think being able to build in stages and to suit would be great competition.

I would love to buy a J8 3-door from AEV with the Diesel option! I think that could be one of the coolest small campers of all time!

Here's a nice camp unit for Jeep JK, also available for almost any Jeep.... XJ, YJ, TJ, J8, and even CJ !

JK P.U.L.S.E. by Phoenix Pop up

148.jpg

Full set of living equipment built right in.... Aluminum welded frame sturcture too.
SportsmansExpo2011-11.jpg

Light weight and low profile... In production, built to order.
SportsmansExpo2011-19.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12