Who's still running both a CB and HAM

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I had both in my FJC, both in the Sportsmobile and will install both in the 75 series Troopie.
There are more people everyday who are into ham thank goodness but still plenty who are using CB so gotta keep it ready

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
CBs are still great for traffic reports if nothing else but they are still very handy in the woods. For example there were only 3-4 CBs in 20 or more trucks on one of the trail runs at the NC Rally. If more people would have had CBs we wouldn't have had 3 groups run into each other on the trails. ;)

I want to get into HAM too but right now I'd just rather spend the $$$ on other stuff.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know the OP was r.e. ham v. CB, but I wanted to comment on FRS Mobile.

I wonder if there will eventually be a "split the difference" option: Mobile FRS. If I understand correctly (corrections welcomed ;) ) the FCC allows GMRS mobile units but does not allow FRS mobile units.

IOW, by law all FRS radios are HTs with the mike and antenna attached to the hand-held unit.
//snip//
(by "mobile" I mean a radio set that can be permanently mounted in the vehicle with a separate microphone and antenna like a 2m Mobile)

For me, Mobile FRS would be a perfect system: FM/UHF for better sound quality, and a simple non-repeater (simplex) 'channel' system like CB for ease of use.
//snip//
So I say: Bring on the decent priced, decently featured Mobile FRS units in the $100 - $200 price range. Once they catch on and everybody has one, I'd love to have one in my rig.

There have actually been at least two units on the market that <almost> meet your requirement.

Radio Shack put out a 'marine/mobile' FRS-only unit, the Model 21-1850.

obraradios.jpg

It had the radio guts built into the base of the mag-mount antenna. Then it had a really long (6'-ish) mic cable with all the controls on the mic. IMO the design was an attempt to get around the FCC rules you mentioned, since strictly speaking the antenna was directly mounted to the radio. They didn't sell 'em for long, though. My suspicion is that the FCC made RS quit selling them because they violated the intent of the FCC ruling.

I've read that the units tended toward short operational life. I suspect because the mic cable, which you had to run through a door or window, was really fat and subject to damage. It was fat because it had something like 8 twisted pairs running though it for all the controls on the mic.

Personally, I think the RS unit would probably work well for a fixed mobile installation where you could figure out a way to permanently route that fat cable instead of slamming it in a door or such. Also, the mic cable is permanently fixed at both the radio/antenna end, and at the mic end, so routing it trough a small hole would require cutting it and resplicing those 8-or-so twisted pairs.

I've seen the RS Marine/Mobile units on craigslist for around $30.

Second, more recently Midland has (or had) their 75-510XLM FRS-only mobile radio

75510XLM.jpg

which is a more conventional HT, but with a removable antenna and a separate mag-mount antenna. It does have a 12v jack and headphone/mic jacks, so could easily be used as a permanent installation. This one seems to be a clear violation of the FCC rules, unless the rules have changed or something.

Amazon used to carry the Midland units for about $35, but the don't seem to have them now. Maybe the FCC made Midland quit selling theirs, as well?

Last edited:

xtatik

Explorer
I've never used CB because I don't go "offroading" in the usual sense. I usually travel alone or with one or two (max) vehicles and most of my flyfishing and hunting buddies are hams as well. Cell phones, 2m/440cm and CB won't get a signal out from the areas we like to visit.
I think CB's or even FRS "bubble-pack" radios are fine if you're just into "wheelin'" or doing trails in the local semi-rural 4wd playgrounds. Here in So Cal, we've got areas like Big Bear and Anza Borrego that fall into that category and I'm sure most western states do as well. Back east (as we say out here) you've got the offroad parks and I'd guess that CB would work fine there as well. Most areas like this have cell phone service as well.
2m is best for when you're working just beyond that range, but can still hit the higher placed repeaters. Some of the frequently traversed trails like the Mojave Road and Bradshaw Trail are good examples here in So Cal. In fact, most of our Mojave desert areas would fall into this category. Most of our local desert areas are rimmed with the same adjoining mountain ranges seen from the metro areas... so the Mojave isn't all that remote. The repeaters that are placed to serve these metro areas are easily hit from the backside in the deserts. Traveling beyond that and away from major highways, I wouldn't rely on anything less than HF or satellite phone.

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have to be honest, I'm not a "radio geek" and that's why I let my HAM license expire in 2004 (KB0LOG if anyone's interested.) Besides the 4x4, I also have a motorcycle, and I like to shoot/hunt.

I also have a wife, a dog, a house and a job, all of which occasionally require some of my attention. ;) So the reality is, I just don't have the time for another "hobby" which is what HAM would be to me. Even without the CW requirement (which I passed in 1993, although I couldn't today) HAM requires too much "commitment" and that's not what I need a radio for. I just need a radio to be able to talk to other people on the trail.

Not intending to give you a hard time, but I would note that once you have the Ham license there is not too much to do to continue to use the radio other than renewing your license every ten years - no testing required. For "casual use" on the trail it's really a one time investment.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I run both HAM and CB in my 4Runner. I think I've used the CB once, twice maybe? I honestly can't even remember when the last time was I turned it on.

We have a nice tuned CB radio from the FJ but at this point we have decided we will not be installing it in the Tiger. 98% of the people we run with use HAM and we are not 'offroading' in a traditional trail run type experience anymore. We do have one of those Midland handhelds thats thrown in as a backup, just in case we end up with someone who has only CB.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I run both, most everyone has CB, but I always spread the HAM's out to Front, (sometimes Middle) and Back of the group so that we actually can communicate. I hate CB.

Douglas

Observer
I run Ham exclusively now, but once in a while I wish I still had a CB installed. In my area, the loggers use CB when on the Forest Service roads to announce their whereabouts before hitting steep grades, blind corners or other difficult spots.

Michael

Adventurer
I have both ham (2m/70cm) and CB installed and I also carry hand-held FRS/GMRS units. I avoid using CB and FRS/GMRS whenever possible and only as a last resort to communicate with people who don't have ham radios. Once you've enjoyed clear, reliable, long distance ham communications, it's hard to imagine using anything else. If my CB goes "sneakers up", I don't think I'll bother to replace it.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I run both, most everyone has CB, but I always spread the HAM's out to Front, (sometimes Middle) and Back of the group so that we actually can communicate. I hate CB.

We had to do that on multiple occasions. Have hams take the front and the tail end of a caravan and have the CB only folks in the middle.

sxharr05

Adventurer
I run both. An AM/SSB cb and a 2 meter ht. I mostly use the cb as that is what I am most familiar and comfortable with. Plus I work with truckers and will communicate with them on the cb. As mentioned, it's very useful for traffic updates and I sometimes find the chatter entertaining. The ht has extended receive range and I pick up NOAA weather and the local PDs.

I too am anxious about the Wouxun dual-band, but I'm starting to give up hope.

Navman

Adventurer
Excuse my ignorance, but are there units that combine both CB and 2M, so you only have to run one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle