Questions for the TundraBirds on 04-06 DC Trucks?

VW Jeeper

Observer
So we sold the XJ over the weekend (much quicker than anticipated) and are now in the market for a larger SUV/Truck. Having owned a 01 Access Cab Tundra in the past I REALLY want a 04-06 Tundra Double Cab. I'm working on selling the wife on the idea but I do have a few questions for you Tundra owners about specifics of these trucks.

Please correct what I'm missing/wrong on.

'04 DC still had 4speed tranny with 4.10 gearing and Non-VVTi 4.7L?
'05-06 DC got the new 5speed tranny and VVTi - not sure the gearing?
'05-06 Saw a slight make over on the inside, specifically the guage overlay's?
TRD package included different wheels, Bilstein shocks, and LSD in rear axle?
Should there still be an extended Toyota warranty on an '06?

I'm specifically looking at a 2006 DC 4wd SR5 TRD with 65K in Expo White. The truck looks great, but my only concern is the guy says the tranny went out at 55K. This seems VERY uncommon as I thought all the tranny problems with the first gen Tundra's were in the overdrive units in the 4speeds trannys. While Toyota replaced it at no cost I don't want to be facing a tranny replacment every 55K!!

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

VW Jeeper

Observer
What do you guys think about the tranny crapping out at 55K, out of the ordinary for an '06 or fairly common place?

exploreFL

Observer
My 06 double cab has 49000 on it and not a single problem, that's not to say it won't at some point. But from what I have researched before purchasing, these trucks are pretty bullet proof with the occasional glitch on some trucks. It comes down to comfort level I guess, not gonna lie I would probably think twice, but like you said Toyota changed it out and they will stand behind their work. There are plenty of trucks on here with 100000 miles plus and some on othe forums with 2-300000 on the clock. Did the previous owner do scheduled maintenance like he should of? Over all does it look like a well taken care of truck? All things to be considerEd.

Derek24

Explorer
Weird about the transmission. Maybe it was just one of those few you hear about, but if it has been replaced and everything else on the truck looks good, then I would'nt worry too much. Just for reference, my Tundra is almost 12yrs old and 135k+ miles and still sifts smooth and when it needs too. Thats a nice truck you describe! Good luck!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I understand your concern about getting a bad truck, like maybe the tranny was not the only issue with this truck, however it's nice to know a little history.

Many would agree that the transmission is often the weak-link on many modern 4x4 trucks, and starting with an almost new one on a used truck doesn't sound all bad.

VW Jeeper

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys! The boss lady and I checked out the truck after work yesterday and I've got to say I LOVE it even more so now! The current owner was a very nice, easy to talk to guy that seemed to have a decent amount of Toyota knowledge. The truck did not disappoint either, it was very clean and only had a few minor areas of concern. A little more history on the truck from my research on MyToyota.com with the VIN and the current owner revealed it was purchased new at Larry H. Miller American Toyota in Albuquerque, NM and driven by first owner until 46Kish. The current owner purchased it as a Certified Pre-Owned truck from the same Toyota Dealership in NM and moved to NC a few years ago.

MyToyota.com also revealed ALL the service and maintenance from day one has been completed on the truck at the Toyota dealer in NM and then here in NC. A test drive quickly eliminated all my concerns about the transmission. I was amazed at how buttery smooth the 5spd tranny shifted as compared to the 4spd in my previous AC Tundra.

As you can tell I'm pretty much sold on the truck, I just need to have the wifey 100% on board. She's still a bit leery of the thought of having to occasionally drive a full size truck and try to park it in the city. I think with a little time she'd grow to love the beast, especially when it's pulling her boat!

I do have a few minor concerns that maybe you guys can address:

The current owner has a place at the beach so the truck has spent some time there. As such there is a bit of surface rust on random things the speaker grilles in the doors...is this common?

Given it's time in the sun in NM and NC beaches the white paint looks nice but could use a good polish and wax and the molding around the windows has begun to fade a bit...any way to fix this or just a common problem with these trucks?

Last, since the truck was purchased as a CPO vehicle by the current owner it came with a 100K warranty from Toyota (hence the free tranny replacement), any idea whether or not this will transferable?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

molding around the windows has begun to fade a bit...any way to fix this or just a common problem with these trucks?

All cars do it over time. Use any of the "back to black" products every time you wash it and it will be nice and black.

fowldarr

Explorer
I've seen teh surface rust on speaker grills when my wife and I were looking at Sequoias from the same time frame, but not anywhere else. Not going to say it is normal, but I've seen it too. I figured they would be and easy repaint.

VW Jeeper

Observer
All cars do it over time. Use any of the "back to black" products every time you wash it and it will be nice and black.

Thanks!

I've seen teh surface rust on speaker grills when my wife and I were looking at Sequoias from the same time frame, but not anywhere else. Not going to say it is normal, but I've seen it too. I figured they would be and easy repaint.

Agreed on the easy fix with rattle can paint, but it just seems weird to me that speaker grilles would have surface rust on them when they are on the inside of the truck...oh well.

VW Jeeper

Observer
I should also mention that I found out from Toyota that the CPO warranty is transferable for FREE and good till 100K or Feb 28th, 2013.

He's asking $20,300 for the truck which I feel is a fair price given the condition, mileage and the market in our area for these trucks.

What do you guys think?

the dude

Adventurer
Decent price, maybe a bit high, but it sounds very clean. The Mother's Back to Black has worked well for us as well. Odd about the grills as the ones in my SR5 TRD are plastic and integrated into the door panel??

Our truck has over 220000km and no issues with engine or transmission, we are the second owner.

My only complaint with our truck is the MPG, it's thirsty!

exploreFL

Observer
Did you check NADA and kelly blue book on price? Those will tell you whether the price is about right. I have a DC 4x4 XSP and when I bought a year ago with 36000 miles I paid a little over $21000.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I should also mention that I found out from Toyota that the CPO warranty is transferable for FREE and good till 100K or Feb 28th, 2013.

He's asking $20,300 for the truck which I feel is a fair price given the condition, mileage and the market in our area for these trucks.

What do you guys think?

I'm not personally experienced with the first Gen. Tundra, but the 4.7L and 5-sp 750F tranny are a great combination. Sounds like a clean truck, and the warranty is transferrable! Are there many better examples near you that have what you want (color, history, good owner(s), warranty, etc.)?

I say buy it before someone else does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M2C_PLUS