Herbie's Chevy Astrolander/ZMB Build Thread

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Wow, I really like your battery box bed platform solution! If you don't mind I think I might copy that idea. Looks great and you are doing an amazing job on your astro.

Thanks much! Copy away, half of what I'm doing is based on inspiration from someone else anyhow, and I love sharing all these great ideas.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Looking good.

I'll study it some more and reply more later when I have time. (I usually surf with one hand while feeding the baby with the other so I'm unable to respond:sombrero:)

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Shoot... had a nice reply typed up and the computer spazzed and lost it.

...anyway, great job, love the pics! Simple and very functional rear platform, love that. What did you use for the rear seat/bed convertable part?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Shoot... had a nice reply typed up and the computer spazzed and lost it.

...anyway, great job, love the pics! Simple and very functional rear platform, love that. What did you use for the rear seat/bed convertable part?

It's a manual-drop bed/bench I got from Craigslist. It was out of a Dodge conversion van, a Mark III, I believe. I got lucky, as it barely fits width-wise because the fullsize vans are a bit wider. It needed some tweaking (moved some of the locating pins so it would lay more flat) and a serious cleaning (some icky stains on it when I bought it), but for $100, it was a great starting place.

Eventually I'll have it reupholstered to match the rest of the interior, and see about getting more "rectangular" foam. The current foam is sculpted some, which probably makes it more comfortable as a seat, but it isn't perfectly flat as a bed. I'd rather optimize for the bed, especially since my daughter is going to be in carseats or boosters for several more years.

labbe66

Observer
Lookin good Herbie. I assume you have a bed up top as well so you can sleep four now? What is the height of your platform? I built a quick one a while back that is at the height of the rear cupholders. it only goes from the mid seats back and has a huge amount of space under it for storage. My kids can sleep across the back. Moving around inside the van is quite tight with this setup though.

I was thinking of building another platform at the height of the back seat when it is folded so that I can take out the mid seats and have more "living" room inside the van. This significantly reduces storage area so I'm not sure it will work.

Of course all of this is kind of moot until I figure out an affordable pop top solution to sleep two adults...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yes, the GTRV pop-top transplant netted me a narrow upper bunk. Would be very cozy for two adults, but one adult or two kids should fit fine.

The top of the mattress surface is 16" from the deck, to match the height of the bench when lowered to a bed. I had to be clever about how I built and supported the platform to retain maximum height underneath because otherwise my storage bins wouldn't fit under. With a 16" mattress height and two inches of foam mattress, I still have 13-1/4" underneath the platform. That's why when you look at the platform there's no supports or bracing running left/right underneath.

I also had to maximize space in the left/right orientation too. The "tee" shaped legs give me good support but only use up two inches of the usable cargo width. The bump-outs for the wheel wells define the maximum usable width for cargo, and the outer legs are inline with these, so I only lose the width of the two inner legs.

It took a lot of time with scale drawings of the cargo area and all the potential storage bins I was looking at to figure out a system that worked.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:Wow1:

Fantastic build! How do I book mark this? You are swaing me to an Astro! Looks perfect for two on or off road! Thanks!!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks for the Kind words.

For my favorite ExPo threads, I use the "Subscribe" tool under "Thread Tools" at the top of the page.

You can either subscribe with email notification and get updates on your set interval, or you can select the "No Email" option which is sort of like a bookmark that you can access through your "Subscribed Threads" folder under the User Control Panel.

Kenny Johnson

I have been inspired by these threads. I am planning a big road trip to Alaska with my friends when I get out of the Army. I have a 2000 Astro van that I bought with low miles. However, it is only 2 wheel drive. I was thinking of converting to 4wd. I figured I would have to buy a donor awd to make this work though. I also will put a small lift on it as T-Low did his, and definitely contemplating the pop-top (basically copying off you guys). Do you have any better ideas on the conversion to 4 wheel drive?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I have been inspired by these threads. I am planning a big road trip to Alaska with my friends when I get out of the Army. I have a 2000 Astro van that I bought with low miles. However, it is only 2 wheel drive. I was thinking of converting to 4wd. I figured I would have to buy a donor awd to make this work though. I also will put a small lift on it as T-Low did his, and definitely contemplating the pop-top (basically copying off you guys). Do you have any better ideas on the conversion to 4 wheel drive?

I'm glad to have inspired someone else in the same way that I was inspired.

Pay a visit to the Astro nuts over at astrosafarivans.org for all the info, but the short version is this: In order to swap a 2WD Astro/Safari to AWD requires a complete front subframe from the donor AWD van. The whole front suspension is completely different (torsion bars instead of coils, etc.). I'm not clear on all the details, but there may be some welding of stuff required also (although I may be confusing with the pre-95 to post-95 front-end conversion...).

In general, the consensus is that it is VASTLY simpler/easier/cheaper to start with an AWD van unless there is a very compelling reason such as a camper conversion, etc. that has already been done on the 2wd van. They are more rare than the 2WD vans, but AWD vans are not strictly "rare". I setup a permanent region-wide craigslist search for AWD Astro and Safari vans (using crazedlist) and I get a couple of pops a week, at least.

The pop-top is probably best left to GTRV unless you want a hell of a project. (About a year later I still haven't re-installed my headliner, etc. while I sort out little details.) OTOH, it isn't cheap and I think they've recently raised prices. I can say though that it is BY FAR the most valuable part of my conversion in terms of usability of the van for camping. Being able to stand up to put on your pants and have some livable space inside the van is HUGE.

I built my van to sleep 3-4 people since we have a kid, but if you're just 1 or 2, it may not be strictly necessary to have a pop-up. Finding an AWD hi-top conversion van would give you some of the same improvements in headroom without the higher cost if you're only going to sleep 2 people.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Finding an AWD hi-top conversion van .

If I were to do another AstroLander, I would search for an AWD GTRV, or an AWD Hi Top to send to Colorado CamperVan and have Derek work his magic on popping the top.

Kenny Johnson

astro advice

Thank you for the detailed information. I am almost kicking myself for getting a 2wd. But the deal on the van was so great that I could not pass it up. It's a 2000 with only 90,000 miles and in great condition. I figured if the conversion to 4wd couldn't happen, I could always sell it or trade for an AWD. You are welcome to see my love for adventure and the outdoors on my blog. (I think 4wd will be necessary for some of the primitive camping we want to do, especially when we get up to Canada)
http://kennyjohnsonarmy.blogspot.com/

zuren

Adventurer
I believe swapping in the front end and 4x4 parts of a S10 pickup is also possible but its a question of time, money and effort. You could just build it as a prerunner; selectable locking rear diff., lift and more aggressive tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior