Suspension setup for Expedition travel in a 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

BPage

Adventurer
All

I know the question has probable been asked before, however I did a search on the forum and could not find a thread that matched.

I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with more modifications than I could list in this one post, however I think it pertinent to mention that it is setup for Rock/Trail crawling (33" BFG Mud Terrian, 4" short arm Ruff Country X lift, ProComp MX6 valve adjustable shocks, etc.).

I want to switch from slow rock crawling to long distance exploring and camping, and need a setup that rides softer on and off road, while still being able to absorb the bumps and bruises of expedition travel. I would estimate that I am going to have to highway drive for 300-400 miles just to get to the areas I want to off road at, so comfortable highway ride is very important. As well this will be my daily driver, so stop and go traffic is going to be a factor.

Switching vehicles is not an option, I love my Jeep and have invested to much time/money/effort.

Any recommendation would be appreciate. :coffeedrink:

406to417

Explorer
I am been wondering a similar question myself( only mines an 2006 non Rubicon). So far the only thing that comes close to what I am looking for is the Old Man Emu suspension.

bldeagle10

Explorer
could look up the valving for OME shocks to start and adjust yours to match. how is it riding now?

more importantly, do you have pictures :D

bob91yj

Resident **************
My junk is running a Rubicon Express 4.5 " long arm kit, RE Lite speed racing hydraulic bumpstops, and Bilstein 7100 shocks with remote reservoirs. Is it the "best" doubtful, but it works well for my needs.

What would I change...switch to the RE three link rear, only because the rear end has a tendency to step out with the geometry of the rear track bar causing the axle to swing out to the passenger side. It's only an issue during high speed (relative) when the rear end unloads.

2011bajaextravaganza257.jpg

Quality shocks that don't fade will net you the most improvement. I had a set of Rancho 9000's on this Jeep when I first built it...I hated them...they overheated and faded to useless in 10 minutes of hard running. I like the idea of a rebuildable shock (Bilstein, Fox, King, FOA etc). Bump stops and limit straps to keep your shocks from bottoming at either full compression or full droop are a must.

udoxx

Observer
Based on my reading a 2.5 to 3.5 lift progressive springs would be best. This would be recommended to keep the CG low and still have the ability to carry heavy loads. Old Man Emu is a great start but you only get springs and shocks, if you check out AEV you get a complete kit on their 3.5 lift. AEV has a 2.5 spring kit in the works. From what I understand in Overlanding flex is less important than lower CG and the size tire recommended is a 32 or 33 11.5 or 12.5, your front and rear lockers should make up for the lack of travel or articulation. 33's would keep you gas mileage low (wieght reduction, diameter) as well and reduce the amount of stress on your components.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-41385.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/wha...el-the-10-rules-of-vehicle-modifications.html

http://www.jk-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-157892.html

Hope this helps...!

Last edited:

Nikson

Explorer
when I built up my LJ, that was my main goal - comfortable ride (for long distance) and only than performance off-road.

I've found all that in the Currie's shortarm kit w/Bilsteins (IMO OMEs are stiffer, less comfortable).

Overall, on highway it handles great, and offroad I run 15-20PSI, and even on washboard it rides like a Caddy...

406to417

Explorer
This is the same basic setup I am running now, expect the wheels are now beadlocks and there is a Warn 9.5Ti bolted to the front. Also, in the rear i have a Tuffy box fully loaded with gear. I love being able to say that I am running 35s on the factory suspension(including still running factory shocks) but not sure if I will be able to do it for long. I hate the side to side motion my Jeep makes while on rough services or when making turns. I am afraid I am going to have to go to a heavier spring...thats why I am eyeing the OME suspension. Oh, Dave over at AEV said that they are NOT going to be making a two and a half inch lift for TJ/LJs, it will only be for JKs.

sideshot.jpg

sideshot2.jpg

Very bad Iphone pic with the beadlocks....

Beadlock1.jpg

BPage

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses... I didn't know there were that many LJ owners on the ExPo forum! WoW! :Wow1:

From what I am gathering, sounds like AEV or Currie have a good multipurpose setup that may work.

I hate that I purchased ProComp MX6 shocks so I could adjust the ride quality from soft to firm which I thought would fix the problem... however my Ruff Country coils are so tight that you don't notice any difference? Its like a bucking bronco on and off road.

I have also read that Nth Degree (AEV now) has frequency tuned coils that give softer ride in the small bounces you feel on the highway and support more weight and bumps on the trails, however I don't know anyone that has them?

I also noticed that on another forum someone mentioned using JKS adjustable coil spacers with soft coils. that way you can adjust your ride height when carrying all your gear while still maintaining factory coils?

Thoughts?

406to417

Explorer
I have NEVER heard anything good about rough country. They are basically for just getting the vehicle in the air. I feel for this type of use OME and Nth/AEV are they only choices.

BPage

Adventurer
Actually, my Ruff Country 4" lift has done very well over the past four years... Rock Crawled with folks that had long arm RE's and custom buggies and been able to consistently meet the challenge. The only downside I have seen (as I stated below), it lacks in the long distance drive comfort.

I plan on keeping my upper and lower adjustable control arms from Ruff Country, they articulate well, and are solid. What I am really looking for is a magic combination of coils and shocks that would give me that cadillac ride on the highway and be able to take some abuse on the trails and back roads... and not break the bank.

Anyone setup with the AEV progressive tuned coils and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks? That sounds like it would be a good matchup that could be adjusted based on load and mission? Maybe throw in the JKS adjustable coil spacers for load levelling?

Desert Dan

Explorer
Maybe you could switch to RE 3" coils and use different shocks?

My TJ rides pretty good on the highway with the RE suspension.

Experiment with the air pressure in your tires for the highway for improved ride.

BPage

Adventurer
Yeah, I adjusted my BFG KM's from 33 psi to 28 psi and gained some more bounce and comfort... however i gained more road noise, MPG's went down, and my tire balance was on again off again, so I thought I should shop around for the correct way to do this.

Rubicon

Observer
Thanks for all the responses... I didn't know there were that many LJ owners on the ExPo forum! WoW! :Wow1:

From what I am gathering, sounds like AEV or Currie have a good multipurpose setup that may work.

I hate that I purchased ProComp MX6 shocks so I could adjust the ride quality from soft to firm which I thought would fix the problem... however my Ruff Country coils are so tight that you don't notice any difference? Its like a bucking bronco on and off road.

I have also read that Nth Degree (AEV now) has frequency tuned coils that give softer ride in the small bounces you feel on the highway and support more weight and bumps on the trails, however I don't know anyone that has them?

I also noticed that on another forum someone mentioned using JKS adjustable coil spacers with soft coils. that way you can adjust your ride height when carrying all your gear while still maintaining factory coils?

Thoughts?

If I may suggest - talk with some people who have installed and run Adjustable Spring Spacers on LJ's specifically adjustable spring spacers....

I had a set of ACOS spacers on my SWB TJ and they worked for giving me a bit of "extra" lift (and also try to solve an issue with the rear-end bottoming out when fully loaded with camping/wheeling gear, but not lose the flexiblity of the softer springs.....), but I couldn't ever get the rear driveshaft angles to anything that would work. Ended up burning through 2 Rear Driveshafts in about 18 months before removing the spacers (which dropped the ride height back down about 0.75"), switching to King adjustable shocks (from OME) and going with a HEAVY DUTY Driveshaft.

Granted I have a much shorter Driveshaft on my TJ than you have on your LJ, but wanted to give you my $0.2....:)

BPage

Adventurer
Thanks, I didn't think about the drive shaft angle... maybe this can be eliminated by installing a SYE?

bob91yj

Resident **************
Anyone setup with the AEV progressive tuned coils and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks?

I hated EVERYTHING about my Rancho 9000's. They are not gas charged, the adjustment knobs are a gimmick, and they overheat and fade to almost useless in a matter of minutes when running at a brisk pace offroad.

As a rock crawler it was never really an issue for me, as I got into the desert racing scene, I came to understand the value of quality shocks. Pre-running a desert race course will bring out the best/worst of any suspension.

You'll hate the price up front but love the ride quality from a set ofg Bilstein/Fox/King's or FOA's. All are rebuildable, as well as capable of custom valving/gas pressures. Cheap lifts/shocks are cheap for a reason. FOA is the new kid on the block, they aren't as pretty as the others, but I've heard a lot of good things about them, custom valved King's would be at the top of my list, Bilstein and Fox flip flopping in between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179