Suitability of a 4-door JK jeep

4wdswagman

Wanderer
G'day folks,

I managed to convince my Mrs that rather than sell my 2-seater ex-army Land Rover Perentie it would be best if she sold her Subaru XV hatchback and bought a 4x4 we could fit a baby seat into and use not only as a daily driver for her, but for family road trips and off-road trips. Don't ask me how I did it, I'm still scratching my head hahaha

A four door JK jeep Wrangler is on the shortlist.

How suitable is one of these jeeps for long range overlanding trips and off roading with small kids?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve used to for those purposes as well as daily driving for over 8 years and 140k miles now. I would say very suitable.

Depending on the ages of the kids, some adaptations are needed.

1) Find the smallest car seats possible and get them out of those seats as soon as you can.
2) I still have to lift my 5 & 7 year old girls in, they climb into mommy’s car by themselves.
3) JL vs JK have some important kid friendly adaptations. Notably, the doors stay open on JL, meaning less dirty clothes and finger pinching. I believe JL models also have heat/ac vents in the back seat area, I had to add fans to my JK for the kids in their car seats.

Remember that the vehicle outlasts the stages of childhood. The annoyances that come with loading littles are temporary and pass quickly.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I bought one in 2013 and it worked well for hauling two teenagers and a grade schooler. I had four kids at the time and that ultimately lead to it's departure. Since then we've had kids moving out and now we have two of them. One of them has been in use since 2018 and the other was purchased this year. I have mine setup with a UM J30 top that we camp with and my wife liked it so much that she wanted her own. We found her a JKUR four door. Things that weren't factory when we purchased it have been replaced with OEM components with the exception of an AEV tire carrier and a cat back exhaust system. The tire carrier just made sense to keep (I have the same one on my JK) and the cat back exhaust was too costly to change back for it to matter to her. She doesn't even want a lift or winch or anything for that matter. She likes it as is. Our two Jeeps as it turns out are the same model, year and option package which was not planned. They were even made in the same month and it has proven as an asset to be able to compare a modified Jeep to a stock one. I'm surprised that her Jeep is incredibly capable off road just the way it is. I tend to forget that the vehicle was designed to do that in the first place. As for on road manners, it isn't a Cadillac, but it's a long ways from a CJ7 or YJ as well. We take our longer distance trips in one of the Jeeps over our Impala, which says a lot. Your wife will be giving up some things getting into a Wrangler, but she will be gaining a lot as well. If she has an open mind she will enjoy it. I can't help but smile every time I sit in my Jeep, which might explain why we have three of the dang things! Best of luck!

Jupiter58

A four door is definitely do able. Lots of good advice. Especially about the car seats.
A stock jeep is the most capable stock off road vehicle made and moving up to a rubicon puts it in a class by itself.
That being said, it isn’t a Cadillac but it is doable. The less mods you make on it the better off performance and driving wise you would be. A stock rubicon come with 33s now and for 4 grand option for 35s, lift, gears, axles, brakes is unbeatable. It lacks interior space but it will go places no other vehicle can.
If it will be the wife’s primary ride, get a new one with the 8 speed auto and for gas mileage the turbo 4. Lots of options now.
There are better riding and more spacious choices but nothing more capable and you can take the roof off or put a soft top on.
Only the bronco has that option and it is not as capable. But I don’t envision you and your wife rock climbing with the kiddos so it is possible a less capable vehicle is more appropriate.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Lots of good advice here.
We initially bought our 4-dr Jeep with the plans to have kids and still have a cool fun around-town car. So far, with a 15-mo old, its been great!
The car seat does sit tight in the backseat. Facing backwards, the back of it is against the back of my driver's seat. I thought this was bad at first but it's actually been a blessing! Without turning, I can reach my hand around and hold my kid's hand for soothing or whatever need be. My wife can also comfortably turn around, from the passenger seat, and reach anything our kid has in their hands. This alone has made road tripping quite doable! Especially compared to our 4Runner. There, my wife has to crawl into the back seat to mess with the kiddo since it's another foot further back... Not that that is really a bad thing.

Speaking of, have you considered a 4Runner? It's more roomy, smooth, still rugged and off-roadable, reliable, safer, and also gets bad mileage.

One of the big considerations I started having post-kids is safety and unfortunately, the Jeep is NOT the safest for rear occupants.
Unless we're on a purposeful Jeep road trip for trails and such, we always take the 4Runner with its 10 airbags as compared to our Jeep with only 2 front ones. The Jeep sees mostly local, low-speed, trips around town.

Also, our Jeep is a 2016 withOUT rear vents. Our 2015 4Runner has rear vents and, being better insulated, cools down WAY faster than the Jeep. Just another consideration.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Cant put much input on the jeep aspect but how about rear storage for all the baby stuff AND your stuff? I don't know about you guys but when we load up to visit friends even a few hours away we end up absolutely packing the back of my wifes X3 to the brim. Not sure on rear storage of a JK compared to an X3 but think stroller, baby bag, baby gear, your bag, wifes bag, etc etc.

Also, on the topic of car seats, I don't think getting the smallest one to fit is more logical than getting the safest and highest rated one... just my opinion.

billiebob

A stock jeep is the most capable stock off road vehicle made
THIS ^^^^

And the JKU is perfect for a young family of 4.
PS go 2012 or newer, the 3.6L engine was a massive improvement on gas mileage.

On the safety thing...., For the driver in a single vehicle accident.... the Wrangler has one of the highest safety rating thru the Insurance Institute based on driver fatality rates. I have not seen rear seat statistics but the Wrangler is a brick with a pretty massive roll cage. I'll bet it does well for kids in properly secured child seats too.

There is always a lot of spin about perceptions of what is safe. I think the Wrangler is one of the safest vehicles on the road period.

The car with the worst rating for driver survival in a single vehicle crash.... ie "I drove into the ditch".... is the Nissan 370ZX...... Safety is also about a drivers attitude. I'll bet a base F150 has a better safety rating than a Ford Tremor.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Additionally, Enterprise and some other major chains rent 4-door JLUs in various trim levels. Not sure if that $2000 hard top is a good idea? A $300 weekend in a soft top rental might tell you quickly… etc. I was set on upgrading JK to JL until I spent a long weekend in a rental. I know I’ll have to upgrade someday, but that $500 probably saved me $65k for at least 4-5 more years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998