3way portable fridge

gabrielef

What’s 3way? I have a 65L or 68L dual zone I don’t mind selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
I've never seen or heard of a top loading 3 way fridge. Why do you need propane? If you, in fact, do need it you're likely looking at only standard RV front door fridges which require big vents in the back (as in holes in your camper).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I have used these 3 way chest freezers for years. Bought used until I found too great a price on a new one.

Set on low they will chill beers in the upper basket and keep food frozen in the bottom.

Solar is great, but I had all the infrastructure for propane kicking around for free so I went that way. I wanted a gas cooktop and then it just snowballed.

I ended up building this one in. Fully vented. We boondocked for 15 days, ran everything off propane, and never bought ice. Propane bill was $20.

There are also 3 way portable coolers out there. We use one on a longer hose for drinks outside. People can't believe it runs on propane. Paid $80 used- never operated by original owners.

No longer sold, but lots floating around out there.

Unique is the only one I know of selling the true freezer that I have. The others are chest coolers that have been made by various companies over the years. I was given an ancient unit built in the 1960s by Electrolux of Sweden. (Recall the Swedes developed the absorption cooling system used in the 3 way units.)

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I first saw these portable propane 3 way chest freezers when I worked in the bush in the 1980s.

I bought my first used Unique freezer in 2011. It was already 10 years old. It was built in South Africa. They used butane fired refrigeration in remote areas for years. Obviously solar has changed all that. All the new propane units are from China.

I realized my build write up for the Cubicle has no photo of the built in fridge with the separate chest freezer so I took one yesterday. The chest freezer was new sitting in an abandoned body shop and cost me $300. The fridge is used, about 30 years old, and was $75. The tank slung underneath was in a 1982 Sportsmobile I flat towed home from Atlanta. You can see why I went with propane instead of solar. Plus we don't get guaranteed sun drenched boondocking sites here. That said we run interior- fridge, freezer, and 2 burner cooktop. Outside- 3 burner camp stove, Mobicool portable 3 way chest cooler, grill, and soon a propane firepit. And we make ice instead of buying it. Leggz actually brings homemade frozen bread dough along.

The fridge, freezer, and cooler run off the second alternator I put on the hemi. Then propane when we are camping.

I've never seen anyone else with the 3 way chest coolers or a 3 way freezer on the road. People can't understand how the flame and warm exhaust make for cold beer. Me neither...
d841e710c26651a75b9cb5f18fb12040.jpg
e4d5854465d4e7d995f2ceac63eb54d9.jpg

Alloy

12v/110/propane

A 3 way is a 2 way with a cheap DC-AC converter. A 2 way running off an inverter is the same thing.

Portable and propane cooling aren't a good combination as propane cooling needs to be level to work properly.

I have DC compressor and 2 way (propane/110V) refrigerators. The propane doesn't cool (even with an extra 1/2" of insulation around it) as good as the DC compressor. I've never had to touch the compressor fridge while I've repaired the propane fridge 4-5 times.

I've dry camped with both DC compressor and propane refrigerators. Always take extra propane because finding it is allot harder than finding solar, gas (generator) or diesel (charging through a DC-DC).

If it isn't plugged into shore power the 2 way isn't worth running on DC because it pulls 25amps (300W x 10% loss / 13VDC). The DC compressor is 5-7amps. In 5 years I've had two 300w elements burn up in the limited (day before we leave) amount of time we've used it on 120VAC.

Try a search for "converting propane refrigerator to DC compressor".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle