IG 'Service' Center Location / Discussion

nickw

Adventurer
This got a bit buried in another thread but I thought it was relevant and good data:

Partnerships with local dealerships / auto groups based on the IG website and looking up addresses:

Portland - Maserati Dealership
Seattle - looks to open commercial space - IG specific?
Boise - Porsche Dealership
San Fran - looks to open commercial space - IG specific?
Pasadena - Jaguar Dealership
Colorado Springs - pre-owned car dealership
San Diego - Nissan Dealership
New Jersey - Maserati Dealership
Boston - Roko Vehicles / Overlanding upfitter
Miami - Holman Motors / Luxury Car dealer who handles RR, Aston M, Bentley....
Dallas - BMW dealership
Atlanta - Nissan Dealership

I would have expected an overwhelming number of them to be BMW. How are those dealers going to support a rig that has no bearing to their common vehicles with no tribal knowledge?

My hunch is they'll have full access to IG service docs, special tools (if needed) and any posted bulletins but diving into a rig without the tribal or common knowledge of seems like a dealbreaker to me. Heck, it's hard enough to get stuff fixed on a BMW at a BMW dealership done well the first time, IME.

Parb

Daydreaming
San fran is getting a grenadier dealership and service center in redwood city. They said they will have tow service for owners all the way to lake Tahoe. Whipple Ave exit off 101 where the old Harley Davidson dealer used to be for those who are local.

nickw

Adventurer
San fran is getting a grenadier dealership and service center in redwood city. They said they will have tow service for owners all the way to lake Tahoe. Whipple Ave exit off 101 where the old Harley Davidson dealer used to be for those who are local.
Yeah - it looks to be IG specific per my comment above, open commercial space as of relatively recently unlike some of the other ones that are at established dealerships.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This got a bit buried in another thread but I thought it was relevant and good data:

Partnerships with local dealerships / auto groups based on the IG website and looking up addresses:

Portland - Maserati Dealership
Seattle - looks to open commercial space - IG specific?
Boise - Porsche Dealership
San Fran - looks to open commercial space - IG specific?
Pasadena - Jaguar Dealership
Colorado Springs - pre-owned car dealership
San Diego - Nissan Dealership
New Jersey - Maserati Dealership
Boston - Roko Vehicles / Overlanding upfitter
Miami - Holman Motors / Luxury Car dealer who handles RR, Aston M, Bentley....
Dallas - BMW dealership
Atlanta - Nissan Dealership

I would have expected an overwhelming number of them to be BMW. How are those dealers going to support a rig that has no bearing to their common vehicles with no tribal knowledge?

My hunch is they'll have full access to IG service docs, special tools (if needed) and any posted bulletins but diving into a rig without the tribal or common knowledge of seems like a dealbreaker to me. Heck, it's hard enough to get stuff fixed on a BMW at a BMW dealership done well the first time, IME.
I don’t see it being a big deal, mechanics move around all the time- take your car to a particular brand dealer and you probably have a 1 out of 10 chance that the mechanic working on it has any long term experience with that specific brand.

zimm

Expedition Leader
In the case of the IG there is a 0 out of 10 chance.
The chassis isnt going to fail, it's the BMW drivetrain, and thats not that uncommon. The young white male scrote business grad, aged 25-40 that used to drive mustangs and camaros moved to BMW 30 years ago. They are everywhere.

nickw

Adventurer
The chassis isnt going to fail, it's the BMW drivetrain, and thats not that uncommon. The young white male scrote business grad, aged 25-40 that used to drive mustangs and camaros moved to BMW 30 years ago. They are everywhere.
The chassis may have issues - why wouldn't it? Just because it's a solid axle?

Sid Post

Observer
The Sewell Dallas dealership is being built in the location of the former Sewell BMW used lot.

The BMW motor itself is only a small part of the overall Grenadier vehicle which is built in France in the Mercedes Benz factory where some of their EV vehicles were built. I tend to think the Automatic transmission a risk equal to motors in general in modern vehicles. It is a modern ZF unit as well with similar support 'issues'.

When you factor in things like the new Toyota Supra and other into the mix, power train support should be fairly good overall and I dare say better than something like a Series 70 or 80 Land Cruiser import from overseas. People with Land Cruisers as well seem to do just fine and we all know the pro's and con's of that platform and its legacy,

Personally, I tend to think it has more in common with a Steyr-Daimler-Puch/MB G-Wagen than a BMW variant. For the engine and transmission itself, I think most BMW dealerships will have a technician available for most problems someone is likely to encounter.

nickw

Adventurer
The Sewell Dallas dealership is being built in the location of the former Sewell BMW used lot.

The BMW motor itself is only a small part of the overall Grenadier vehicle which is built in France in the Mercedes Benz factory where some of their EV vehicles were built. I tend to think the Automatic transmission a risk equal to motors in general in modern vehicles. It is a modern ZF unit as well with similar support 'issues'.

When you factor in things like the new Toyota Supra and other into the mix, power train support should be fairly good overall and I dare say better than something like a Series 70 or 80 Land Cruiser import from overseas. People with Land Cruisers as well seem to do just fine and we all know the pro's and con's of that platform and its legacy,

Personally, I tend to think it has more in common with a Steyr-Daimler-Puch/MB G-Wagen than a BMW variant. For the engine and transmission itself, I think most BMW dealerships will have a technician available for most problems someone is likely to encounter.
I am hesitant to even bring this stuff up because people think I am being negative - simply voicing a concern, could be my lack of understanding though. You need to take the rig to a IG "service center" correct? Have BMW dealers OR Toyota dealers come out saying yes, we can and will service IG's?

Why would it have more in common with G? Uses different frame, axles, engine/trans, Tcase....

Sid Post

Observer
Steyr-Puch has made G-Wagens forever and is the primary design agent of the Grenadier.

Having been in one personally, it has a strong resemblance of an older military-oriented G-Wagen, not the modern Hip Hop and mall cruiser the G-Wagen has become with a nod to Land Rover Defender styling.

Switch gear, power train, etc. all have a very classic old-school G-Wagen feel to me with modern improvements. I lack experience in a classic Land Rover Defender so, I will defer to those that know more about them than I.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I asked the dealer while I was there about this, as he's 4.5 hrs from me.

I asked, "Will you guys be working with BMW?" He gave an unequivocal NO. When one thinks about it, there are BMW dealers everywhere there are actual Ineos Dealers, so if they worked with BMW the dealers would have to compete for service. So, according to him It'll be local certified service centers for those of us miles from a dealer.... someday... maybe... as of today, It'll be me shipping the truck back for repairs, and that cost he was indeterminate as to who would pay it. Another answer that didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

jrnottarts

Has anyone heard any updates on the service network? I contacted my local BMW dealership in Lafayette, Indiana and they told me they won't touch anything that doesn't have a BMW badge. I wonder if the BMW logo on the engine cover counts!

zimm

Expedition Leader
Has anyone heard any updates on the service network? I contacted my local BMW dealership in Lafayette, Indiana and they told me they won't touch anything that doesn't have a BMW badge. I wonder if the BMW logo on the engine cover counts!
There won't be any service centers, and maybe a few dealerships added. They will not be contracting with BMW. You're only 2.5 hrs from Knauz Ineos. There are much much worse.

Sid Post

Observer
There won't be any service centers, and maybe a few dealerships added. They will not be contracting with BMW. You're only 2.5 hrs from Knauz Ineos. There are much much worse.

Sewell Ineos in Dallas in a huge BMW dealership too FWIW.

The IG forum is a good place for concerns like this one too.

jrnottarts

For sure. It's really not that bad of a drive. I'm fortunate to have a 2-post lift in the garage so I'd imagine most mundane work I'll do myself. I was just hoping the local BMW dealership could at least help out when things got hairy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998