Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

jaywo

Well so the fully loaded 2023 Tremor for 61K that was posted yesterday sold this morning 5 minutes after they opened. We just drove to the dealership. I waited 3 months for a deal like this after missing the deals on the new one back in December and missed it.

So I guess I have more time to think about the setup now…

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Couple articles here to poke through. Food for thought. I noticed the Taco listed on the front page is being sold to get something bigger.

Ultimately do what you think works best for you. Everyone's wants / needs & uses cases are different.

If I didn't need to to an RV, I'd be in a mid size.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
But, one of the basic reasons to buy a truck is the ability to tow. Someday, if you hang in this pastime, you'll want to tow something. Most important, the ability to carry a load, be that a load of food, water and gear or just a load of BS.

jaywo

It is true that there is no way we respect payload limit on a Tacoma with a family. The truth is 95% of overlanders are way above GVWR.
I always respected that limit and we weighted ourselves fully loaded for a 10 day roadtrip on the Bronco and came in at 20lbs under GVWR with a 980lbs rating. So all included our weight is 960.

Add the camper weight (like a 400lbs tune, minus the weight of our RTT and rack), kid gear, and off road stuff on the Tacoma (steel plates…) and yes it would be more comfortable with a f-150 tremor payload (at 1600lbs).

I was ready to announce yesterday evening that the combination of feedback on this thread with the fact I found a rare deal, I came home with the Tremor, but as I said someone beat me to it.

The quest continues, because I don’t want to settle on the tundra compromise nor I want to spend 75K on a 2024 tremor.

As for trailer, I wasn’t convinced. Once I posted about $80K trailers that match what a built out Tune can offer for 20-25K, I haven’t see an answer to that.

So in conclusion, so far I am convinced to go full size once I find the truck, trailer not so far

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It is true that there is no way we respect payload limit on a Tacoma with a family. The truth is 95% of overlanders are way above GVWR.
I always respected that limit and we weighted ourselves fully loaded for a 10 day roadtrip on the Bronco and came in at 20lbs under GVWR with a 980lbs rating. So all included our weight is 960.

Add the camper weight (like a 400lbs tune, minus the weight of our RTT and rack), kid gear, and off road stuff on the Tacoma (steel plates…) and yes it would be more comfortable with a f-150 tremor payload (at 1600lbs).

I was ready to announce yesterday evening that the combination of feedback on this thread with the fact I found a rare deal, I came home with the Tremor, but as I said someone beat me to it.

The quest continues, because I don’t want to settle on the tundra compromise nor I want to spend 75K on a 2024 tremor.

As for trailer, I wasn’t convinced. Once I posted about $80K trailers that match what a built out Tune can offer for 20-25K, I haven’t see an answer to that.

So in conclusion, so far I am convinced to go full size once I find the truck, trailer not so far
Good luck in your search. Let us know what you find!

Dougnuts

Keep looking for a Tremor and drive if you have to, I wish I had paid a little more and done so. They have 3.73 gears and a real leaf pack in the rear.

jaywo

Keep looking for a Tremor and drive if you have to, I wish I had paid a little more and done so. They have 3.73 gears and a real leaf pack in the rear.
Yeah well I have had alerts for the last 3 months and this was the first decent deal to show up in a 500 miles radius. They are rare because the 2023 is gone, and the 2024 Tremor is delayed / late availability. With the 2024 being more expensive and the high package now including more useless items ($11K) it’s tricky.

People are selling it used with 25,000 miles for more than I could have bought it brand new in January.

MG99

+1 for full size truck. A car seat in the middle isn’t recommended in case something comes through the windshield there’s nothing in the way to stop or slow “it”. I know that is an unlikely scenario but things happen. Also kids (and their stuff) grow quickly and you’ll want the extra interior cab space, especially the width of the rear seat if you plan on keeping the truck for 5 years or more. My two kids (now 10 and 8) keep their bags containing road trip entertainment items, mostly video games, movies, toys and books, in between them. And there’s room for a small cooler on the floor. Had the Ram for 6 years now and it’s been great for long trips with kids. Even at the rate my guys are growing, another 6 years should be no problem. A mid size would never work for us.

Dougnuts

Yeah well I have had alerts for the last 3 months and this was the first decent deal to show up in a 500 miles radius. They are rare because the 2023 is gone, and the 2024 Tremor is delayed / late availability. With the 2024 being more expensive and the high package now including more useless items ($11K) it’s tricky.

People are selling it used with 25,000 miles for more than I could have bought it brand new in January.

There are 17 for sale within 100 miles of me, in central Kentucky (which includes Cincinnati). I can pick you up from the airport if you're interested in flying into Lexington. Here's one for $60k and two others for $61k and $61.7k

LINK to all of them.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
There are 17 for sale within 100 miles of me, in central Kentucky (which includes Cincinnati). I can pick you up from the airport if you're interested in flying into Lexington. Here's one for $60k and two others for $61k and $61.7k

LINK to all of them.
I really wanted a Stone Grey Tremor when I was ordering my truck but seeing that Antimatter blue on in your link, they look sharp in that color too.

Too bad Ford wouldn't let me order a Tremor with a 6.5" box, Max Tow and Trailer mirrors. GM let's you order a Trail Boss or AT4 that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears