MB truck owners in North America - is it worth it?

tonydca

This is a companion post to a similar one I posted in the Domestic Full-size forum to hopefully get input from both camps.

Executive summary:

North American owners of older MB overland rigs - are you happy with your base truck, and have the trade-offs been worth it?
If you could do it again, would you instead have considered a newer domestic vehicle (such as 4x4 Ford F4/550 Super Duty or Dodge
Ram 4/5500) for a similar cost?

Background:

My wife and I (early-50s) are planning in the next few years to retire/transition from occasional seasonal camping trips in our current "starter" rig
to a more "secondary overlanding lifestyle" situation, spending 3-5 months per year away from our brick-and-mortar house on much longer
multi-week trips in a more substantial setup. (Very much inspired by /u/HealeyJet's adventures in their Dodge 5500-based rig!)

We are located in Canada, and we realistically expect to make the majority of our foreseeable overlanding travels within North America.

Our current "starter" rig is an older, off-the-shelf cab-over camper on the back of a first-gen Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 truck with an 8-foot bed.
Our travels in it have allowed us to see both what is and what is not important to us.

In particular, I feel my current rig is a bit... "fragile" for many of the forestry roads we travel. My camper's wet weight is right at the GVWR for my
pickup truck, and it makes for very delicate and unenjoyable white-knuckle slow travel over the rough stuff, trying not to break the vehicle as it
trundles along at jogging speed with the camper attached with four Torklift tiedowns and a prayer.

We want our next 4x4 setup to be durable enough to survive long stretches of the corrugated gravel and forestry-service roads we
love to explore at a reasonable clip, and compact enough (say ~25-ish ft. or so) to be comfortable in urban environments and on long
stretches of highway travel at or around 100 km/h. We do not envision doing serious trail-work or rock-crawling.

I'd like to be conservative in weight allowance for durability's sake to make a very sturdy habitat that is not at or near the weight limit for the truck.
To me, this excludes most N. American "consumer-level" 4x4 trucks (Ford/Dodge/Chevy 1-ton trucks and lighter) as the GVWR isn't quite
large enough for my liking - too many overloaded truck campers like mine out there. "Super-duty" work trucks such as Ford F-450/550
and Dodge Ram 4500/5500 would seem to be much better domestic choices.

I realize that Mitsubishi Fuso/Canter 4x4 commercial trucks were available here for a while, but while they are fine vehicles in their
own right, for a cab-over truck I'd be more inclined to go with a Mercedes offering instead:

I love the idea of a 1990's-era short- or mid-wheelbase Mercedes LN2 truck, 9-11 tonne GVWR such as a 917AF, 1017 or 1120/1124AF,
with a custom box habitat.

To me, this era of trucks represents the pinnacle of Mercedes quality manufacturing - countless such vehicles survive decades of horrendous
(ab)use in Third-World countries, and their various diesel OM 352/366/402 powerplants are known for their reliability and conservative design. Having
a vehicle that I can trust to shrug off the potholes and corrugations of forestry roads is a *huge* win for me.

However, for my particular situation, these trucks come with a fair list of things that are making me think twice:

Availability of vehicles - these trucks were never sold in N. America, so it's off to the European used market I go looking. By the time I add up
the purchase cost (likely including a trip overseas to inspect/select), import/export prep and fees, RoRo shipping and bonded land transport, taxes,
import duties and out-of-country inspections... by the time my 30-year-old fire truck gets parked on my street in Canada 6+ months later, it
approaches the cost of a much newer domestic offering that I can simply walk down the road and purchase tomorrow.

Speaking of old trucks, availability of parts/service - the simple design of these vehicles leads me to think that routine stuff like LOF service,
brake jobs, etc. can be carried out by most competent local commercial truck shops. But I have to wonder how creative one has to get to find
genuine MB parts in a reasonable timeframe (e.g. I think @DiploStrat recently got stranded for an annoying length of time waiting on a starter
for his 917!) and anything like upgrades of wheels, suspension, etc. may be that much more complicated due to sourcing everything overseas.
I'm guessing that some of this can be mitigated by sourcing a set of strategic spares before you actually need them, but still...

Also, no matter how sturdy the engine/drivetrain, after 30 years irritating things (like anything made of plastic or rubber) will start to get brittle and
perish, and new parts likely haven't been made for ages. I already run into these issues with my 30 year-old Dodge pickup that I never have with
my 15-year-old Toyota!

Transmission/gearing - this is a big one for me. I predict spending a decent amount of time on the highway, and the idea of maxxing out at 88
km/h or similar would get old quickly. I recognize that European rescue vehicles can be had with fast axles and/or 6-speed vs. 5-speed transmissions that,
coupled with larger tires can raise the max speed, but these trucks tend to be the exception, not the rule and are correspondingly more
expensive on the used market. Every Ford/Dodge commercial truck I know of would happily cruise at 100 km/h without breaking a sweat.

Cab comfort. I suspect that retrofitting things like modern seats and air conditioning to these old trucks can again raise the cost closer to that of a
much more modern North American vehicle which will likely come with these items from the factory, not to mention the time and hassle of
integrating aftermarket parts into the MB cab.

Ride quality. From my own and other's experiences, corrugations and long stretches of potholed roads are the real killers of vehicles and
habitats. Parabolic springs and air-seats seem to be the best option for improving the ride/performance of bigger MB trucks but companies like Kelderman
offer very well-regarded air suspensions for domestic vehicles which would be a real bonus for older bones like mine and my wife's. Not sure
if anyone has put a similar air-ride setup on a MB truck.

Despite all of this, the reputation of these older MB trucks keeps them firmly on my radar. I know that a 30-year old 917AF would be light-years
better than my 30-year old Dodge at bouncing around forestry service roads with a box on the back, but cost-wise that's hardly a fair comparison.

I recognize that folks on this forum will likely be biased in favour of MB offerings, but I still have to ask...

Anyone out there in N. America who drives an older MB truck from Europe - has it been worth it?

Would you do it again?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Scholars differ, but my quick answer would be "no."

Understanding that my truck has spent several years traveling in the US and is now in Europe, I would go with something else.

Some comments:

-- Parts for a 1990 MB truck are an issue, even in Europe. There are lots of work arounds, but very often I am told that the parts are simply no longer available. (e.g. radiator hose, drag link, etc.) Fortunately, I have not needed many and basic filters, etc. are not a problem. But many, like shocks, have to come from Europe and a surprising number of dealers will simply not ship to the US. (Didn't see that coming in the age of DHL.)

-- Age is an issue; I have spent a lot of time and money on things that have aged out, e.g., speedometer.

-- The carrying capacity is wonderful - I never have to worry about overloading the truck. But, the suspension is not designed for dirt. If you want to spend any time on bad roads, be prepared to import new springs/shocks from a speciality shop in Europe. (Vermonster has, I believe, been happy with this.)

-- The cab view is wonderful, nice when driving on the wrong side of the road in UK. But the noise is noticeable and the speed severely limited. Probably the biggest annoyance in UK has been the width - the truck is about one foot wider than is comfortable to drive or park. (Got the ticket to prove the last point!)

All in all, our previous vehicle, based on a Chevrolet 3500HD, was simply a joy to drive compared to the 917AF.

Building on a North American platform, I would look at 5500 or heavier - which introduces its own problems.

All FWiW, YMMV, ask other opinions, check our blog, etc. ;)

Last edited:
Since you’re in Canada, the real “pinnacle” MB truck (other than a Unimog) would be an 1828 Atego. From the 2000-06 era; not the earlier trucks with the 366 engines. Modern, reliable engine (906LA with 286 hp, ~820 ft-lb, superlong oil change intervals up to 1200h/60k km), maybe an autoshifting manual, much nicer cabin than a pre 98 model. No problem with high sulfur fuel.
GVWR up to 18 metric tons depending on tires.
From 2000-06. Get Euro 3 versions, avoid EGR if present in 05 or later. Though it’s easily removed.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I love the Mercedes trucks. But owning one in North America is not straight forward. I imported a 2001 Sprinter from Germany into Canada and even though the sprinter brand is well established here, the European model is hugely different. Different enough that mechanics that are familiar with Mercedes refused to work on it.

Having build and owned several models/types of expo vehicles over the years, I have now landed on a 2005 GMC Top Kick. So far it has been fairly easy to get parts and mechanics that can service it.

tonydca

@MogsAndDogs wrote: "if you have no particular affinity for the old MB trucks,..."

The affinity for me is by reputation not by experience, and the more I honest I am with myself, the harder it is becoming for me to pull the trigger on one. Hence this post!

@DiploStrat: Appreciate the words of wisdom. You also wrote: "Building on a North American platform, I would look at 5500 or heavier - which introduces its own problems."

Anything in particular that comes to mind for you regarding that last comment, apart from weight and size in general?

I'm wanting to aim for a finished wet weight that is ~75% of max GVWR; every lightly-laden work vehicle I have ever driven has been a recipe for a trip to the chiropractor. A fellow forum member near me a while back was selling a MB 1824 with an (at the time empty) Total Composite box on it. Skookum truck, but realistically it was a bit like using a Clydesdale horse to give kiddy rides at the fair - way too light a load to be comfortable on rough roads. I'm also trying to envision the smallest habitat that'll work for me and choose a platform to fit. I'm not keen on the idea of exploring quaint East Coast hamlets in a vehicle the size of a commercial garbage truck!

If I'm being honest with myself, the only really substantial concern I have with North American trucks is the reputation of the domestic makers. I was in my twenties in the mid-90's when Mercedes (and Japanese) vehicles were at peak-quality compared to their North American counterparts, and I probably harbour an unfair bias against domestic vehicles.

This might be doubly true when comparing the build quality and durability of commercial-grade North American trucks versus lighter-grade "consumer" pickups, I just have no personal basis for comparison (with the exception of my old Dodge First-Gen I've owned exclusively Japanese vehicles my whole life.)

I'd hate to be stranded 30 miles up a service road because a broken sensor on my newer Ford decides to put the automatic transmission in "Tow-Me-To-The-Dealer-Mode" mode. My 30-year old Dodge might be short on features, but something can't break if it isn't there in the first place, and whatever does break I can usually fix with a hammer, a multi-driver, and some curse words.

Hoping to find @Healeyjet at Overland West and have a gander at their rig for some ideas, too!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
All kinds of stuff breaks. What is the difference between an old hose and a new sensor? Or a windscreen. Some of this is simply luck of the draw.

The Howes drove a modern 3/4 ton Chevrolet through sixty countries and broke just about every thing that could break.

I have spent a ton of money trying to fix things before they break, but still had all kinds of things go south. As Vermonster, now in South America, put it, "Overlanding is simply driving to exotic places to fix your broken truck."

The only challenges with a modern truck would be dual rear wheels and, for world wide travel, a gasoline engine.

MogsAndDogs

@MogsAndDogs wrote: "if you have no particular affinity for the old MB trucks,..."

The affinity for me is by reputation not by experience, and the more I honest I am with myself, the harder it is becoming for me to pull the trigger on one. Hence this post!

@DiploStrat: Appreciate the words of wisdom. You also wrote: "Building on a North American platform, I would look at 5500 or heavier - which introduces its own problems."

Anything in particular that comes to mind for you regarding that last comment, apart from weight and size in general?

I'm wanting to aim for a finished wet weight that is ~75% of max GVWR; every lightly-laden work vehicle I have ever driven has been a recipe for a trip to the chiropractor. A fellow forum member near me a while back was selling a MB 1824 with an (at the time empty) Total Composite box on it. Skookum truck, but realistically it was a bit like using a Clydesdale horse to give kiddy rides at the fair - way too light a load to be comfortable on rough roads. I'm also trying to envision the smallest habitat that'll work for me and choose a platform to fit. I'm not keen on the idea of exploring quaint East Coast hamlets in a vehicle the size of a commercial garbage truck!

If I'm being honest with myself, the only really substantial concern I have with North American trucks is the reputation of the domestic makers. I was in my twenties in the mid-90's when Mercedes (and Japanese) vehicles were at peak-quality compared to their North American counterparts, and I probably harbour an unfair bias against domestic vehicles.

This might be doubly true when comparing the build quality and durability of commercial-grade North American trucks versus lighter-grade "consumer" pickups, I just have no personal basis for comparison (with the exception of my old Dodge First-Gen I've owned exclusively Japanese vehicles my whole life.)

I'd hate to be stranded 30 miles up a service road because a broken sensor on my newer Ford decides to put the automatic transmission in "Tow-Me-To-The-Dealer-Mode" mode. My 30-year old Dodge might be short on features, but something can't break if it isn't there in the first place, and whatever does break I can usually fix with a hammer, a multi-driver, and some curse words.

Hoping to find @Healeyjet at Overland West and have a gander at their rig for some ideas, too!
Sorry, maybe I didn't use the right words. By affinity, I meant an emotional attachment beyond practicality. Cool factor.

tonydca

Sorry, maybe I didn't use the right words. By affinity, I meant an emotional attachment beyond practicality. Cool factor.
No, no - your words were bang-on. You've pinpointed my dilemma - they look like they'd be *wonderful*, but I wonder how much blood, sweat, and tears lies behind those good times.

Sort of like dating Madonna - certainly not the newest kid on the block, fairly durable (all things considered), and attractive in her own unique way. But possibly very high-maintenance both in time and dollar requirements...

tonydca

All kinds of stuff breaks. What is the difference between an old hose and a new sensor? Or a windscreen. Some of this is simply luck of the draw.

Very good point. And if my alternator is more likely to be pooping the bed in West-Armpit, Alabama, USA rather than in Eastern WhereTheHeck-istan, I reckon I'll have much better luck getting a replacement for a 10-year-old Dodge/Ford than a 30-year-old Mercedes.

Although...

"What is the difference between an old hose and a new sensor?"

I have a better chance at temporarily patching an old hose with the rubber tape I have in my toolbox, than I do at whipping out my lap-top and trying to re-flash one of the silicon overlords under the hood to ignore a sensor input...

Last edited:

MogsAndDogs

Very good point. And if my alternator is more likely to be pooping the bed in West-Armpit, Alabama,US of A rather than in Eastern WhereTheHeck-istan, I reckon I'll have much better luck getting a replacement for a 10-year-old Dodge/Ford than a 30-year-old Mercedes.
100% on this one.

tonydca

The only challenges with a modern truck would be dual rear wheels

I'm assuming you mean the added complexity for tire changes and airing up/down.

I've also anecdotally seen quite a few comments from folks who run DRW rigs with no issues, plenty of how-to videos on removing rocks wedged between them fairly painlessly.

But again - I suppose none of these things are a problem until they are.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Would love to have my Total Composites box on this. (Assuming, assuming, assuming.)

I think a very important decision branch point is: are you going to use it exclusively in North America (Mexico’s a gray zone, recently found out there’s MAN dealers there, for instance); or are you going to venture to other continents, especially Africa and Eurasia (a lot of the latter is currently off limits due to geopolitical issues)?
If you stay in NA then all the above comments re easy parts/service are 100% valid, and I agree with most of them.
If you go outside NA, I offer the example of a certain Australian traveler with his Earthroamer with a 6.0/6.4L (trouble prone) Powerstroke in Mongolia as an example of big problems in a country with ZERO support for the vehicle.
BTW there apparently is (now) a Ford dealership in Ulaan Baatar but someone had to be flown from US to fix it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998