Opinions on Ram 2500 wheel and tire options 285's vs 255's; Baja Boss vs something less aggressive

nickw

Adventurer
Struggling with this decision on my 2021 Ram 2500. I currently have a set of AEV Saltas with 287/75R17 but need a new set of tires (BFG AT's now) and I don't love how they sit, very slightly, outside the fenders, I guess I am getting old:

Option #1: AEV Saltas + Baja Boss 255/85R17's
>~35" tire
>inside fender well due to narrower tires
>descent offroad capability - tires get great reviews
>fairly aggressive tire with descent road manners
>3500ish LR

Option #2: OEM Alum rims + xxxx 285/75R18's
>~35" tire
>inside fender well due to more offset of rim (comparable to option #1 above)
>have many more options when it comes to tires to pick up something less aggressive
>higher LR per tire @ 4000+

I tow a 25" 8000 lb Airstream several times a year, most of my driving is on reasonable roads, with some fairly remote unimproved gravel in OR/WA/ID and do deal with snow on a regular basis....I have a set of studless snow/ice tires but would love to not swap out if I can find something does is good enough in the winter.

Would love some opinions!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Struggling with this decision on my 2021 Ram 2500. I currently have a set of AEV Saltas with 287/75R17 but need a new set of tires (BFG AT's now) and I don't love how they sit, very slightly, outside the fenders, I guess I am getting old:

Option #1: AEV Saltas + Baja Boss 255/85R17's
>~35" tire
>inside fender well due to narrower tires
>descent offroad capability - tires get great reviews
>fairly aggressive tire with descent road manners
>3500ish LR

Option #2: OEM Alum rims + xxxx 285/75R18's
>~35" tire
>inside fender well due to more offset of rim (comparable to option #1 above)
>have many more options when it comes to tires to pick up something less aggressive
>higher LR per tire @ 4000+

I tow a 25" 8000 lb Airstream several times a year, most of my driving is on reasonable roads, with some fairly remote unimproved gravel in OR/WA/ID and do deal with snow on a regular basis....I have a set of studless snow/ice tires but would love to not swap out if I can find something does is good enough in the winter.

Would love some opinions!
Personally, I like the way Salta's look so I would keep them. But that's up to you.

Are you set on the Baja Boss's? They look like a good tire, 3 peak rated so that's a plus.

Also read good things about Wildpeaks. I personally had good luck with Duratracs in winter. Not so much with my Toyo AT3's. Maybe the new AT4's are better?

I get the tire poke thing. I went with 35x11.5 to keep the tire inside the fender on my F150.

nickw

Adventurer
Personally, I like the way Salta's look so I would keep them. But that's up to you.

Are you set on the Baja Boss's? They look like a good tire, 3 peak rated so that's a plus.

Also read good things about Wildpeaks. I personally had good luck with Duratracs in winter. Not so much with my Toyo AT3's. Maybe the new AT4's are better?

I get the tire poke thing. I went with 35x11.5 to keep the tire inside the fender on my F150.
Not dead set on the Baja Boss but unfortunately they are the only tire that comes in 255/85R17 that I am aware of! I want to try and stick with 35's so if I keep the AEV's I am stuck with the Baja Boss.

A set of flares would solve the problem with the wider tires but don't wanna go down that route if I can help it.

I agree I do like the look of the AEV's but the beauty ring thing around the lug nuts is kinda goofy....

Last edited:

sancap

I have the 255/85R17 MT Baja Boss AT on my 2022 Power Wagon. They balanced easily, they are great on wet roads and sand. I haven't had them on any muddy trails yet. They are quiter than the stock Duratracs that came with the truck. I have them mounted on the stock wheels.

Attachments

• mt1 copy.JPG
    mt1 copy.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 48
  • mt3 copy.JPG
    mt3 copy.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 48
  • mt2 copy.JPG
    mt2 copy.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 47

nickw

Adventurer
I have the 255/85R17 MT Baja Boss AT on my 2022 Power Wagon. They balanced easily, they are great on wet roads and sand. I haven't had them on any muddy trails yet. They are quiter than the stock Duratracs that came with the truck. I have them mounted on the stock wheels.
Yeah - saw your rig which somewhat gave me a vote of confidence it will work ok. Got a pic of the rig with the tires on from any different angles?

Kingsize24

Awe man! I'd kill for a set of those factory beadlock wheels. I have dreams of them with some conversion beadlock rings on them.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Moving to an 18" wheel will provide a much better selection, as you have found.
It is the entire reason we did exactly that, pushing from the factory 17's to a solid set of 18's
It also provides the option for the high payload (4080lb) sizes, though it doesn't sound like you need such a tire as you don't haul heavy.

If you already have serviceable rubber on the setup you have, I say run 'em until you feel they need replaced.
You could shop used wheels to make that swap in the mean time, potentially providing a huge cost savings.
The old 17's could be saved for a set of studded/winter treads to be swapped as needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears