Better Bivvy sacks/tents?

Sid Post

Observer
I spent the past weekend on the beach in Galveston, Tx saltwater fishing. When I arrived late Friday, the wind was blowing ~35MPH. Needless to say, setting up my Gazelle tent was a real challenge!

A trim profile "low" tent or Bivvy sack would have been much better. I really didn't need the tent at the time, just some quick shut eye so, I was ready and refreshed at Sunrise!

What are the better Bivvy options that will keep out blowing sand and rain while still being easy to setup in high winds?

TIA,
Sid

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I recall being in a popup storm and having a GP small Army tent, seems someone put the center pole on another truck, anyway, we laid it out and got inside with bags, propped the roof up with small poles from a puptent. I got very windy and the guys in a GP Medium (about 14'x24') collapsed and was blown over, all were drenched. We (3) stayed dry, covered and slept just fine.

Moral of story, you can cover up in a storm in almost any tent and be protected, you don't have to put it up.

fourfa

Observer
I am personally a huge fan of bivy sacks and have used them as my primary backpacking and bike touring shelter, probably over 300? 400? nights by now. If you have never slept in one, it's a little hard to predict how you'll find it. I find it snug, cozy, and relaxing. Many others find it coffin-like, claustrophobic, and panic-inducing. Especially when it rains and you have to zip up.

None of them will keep out blowing sand or rain during entry & exit. And they're all high surface area and lightweight, so entry in high wind is a problem. I usually keep my pad and sleeping bag in the bivy, and roll up the whole business at once. That helps with the setup mass a little but I often need to stage a couple heavy rocks on the middle and foot if it's windy. Also it's basically impossible to change clothing state inside, so you need to do all your dressing and undressing outside.

Anyway if you want to try one, you should start from a place like REI etc that allows returns for any reason in case it doesn't agree with you. I've gotten good service from a series of Outdoor Research bivvies but they're pretty light - the thru-hiker and climbing market has driven a lot of fragile and super light bags that aren't really suited for what you describe. Army surplus often has fairly cheap gore-tex military bivvies that are heavy but heavy-duty, and probably pretty warm all by themselves

Also I would not pay money for a bivy that didn't have a good WP/B membrane fabric, or you will find your sleeping bag constantly damp and waste a lot of daylight drying it.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Bibler I-Tent; had mine for ~35 years. I've slept in it in 60+mph winds (blow you away). Been great for me in high mountain storms. I learned to set it up alone in windy conditions.
- Me and my backpack fit inside.
- Two adults is very tight.
- Sitting up and dressing inside is not a problem.
- Cooking inside is risky in any small tent, dangerous in windy conditions.
- You will sleep better if you can shelter your tent from the wind.

Sid Post

Observer
I am personally a huge fan of bivy sacks and have used them as my primary backpacking and bike touring shelter, probably over 300? 400? nights by now. If you have never slept in one, it's a little hard to predict how you'll find it. I find it snug, cozy, and relaxing. Many others find it coffin-like, claustrophobic, and panic-inducing. Especially when it rains and you have to zip up.

None of them will keep out blowing sand or rain during entry & exit. And they're all high surface area and lightweight, so entry in high wind is a problem. I usually keep my pad and sleeping bag in the bivy, and roll up the whole business at once. That helps with the setup mass a little but I often need to stage a couple heavy rocks on the middle and foot if it's windy. Also it's basically impossible to change clothing state inside, so you need to do all your dressing and undressing outside.

Anyway if you want to try one, you should start from a place like REI etc that allows returns for any reason in case it doesn't agree with you. I've gotten good service from a series of Outdoor Research bivvies but they're pretty light - the thru-hiker and climbing market has driven a lot of fragile and super light bags that aren't really suited for what you describe. Army surplus often has fairly cheap gore-tex military bivvies that are heavy but heavy-duty, and probably pretty warm all by themselves

Also I would not pay money for a bivy that didn't have a good WP/B membrane fabric, or you will find your sleeping bag constantly damp and waste a lot of daylight drying it.

Sounds like a military Bivvy is a great place to start with my search! Weight is basically a non-issue since my 'hike' is only ~20' with it.

Ease of setup in wind matters so, a lightweight biking bivvy probably isn't a good option for me. I also favor durability over lightweight. I think you nailed my search pretty well and have me looking in a great direction. THANKS!

Sid Post

Observer
Bibler I-Tent; had mine for ~35 years. I've slept in it in 60+mph winds (blow you away). Been great for me in high mountain storms. I learned to set it up alone in windy conditions.
- Me and my backpack fit inside.
- Two adults is very tight.
- Sitting up and dressing inside is not a problem.
- Cooking inside is risky in any small tent, dangerous in windy conditions.
- You will sleep better if you can shelter your tent from the wind.

That looks like a really nice tent but, dang is it expensive! At half price, $300~$350 I think I would get one. Looks basically bomb proof.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Not a fan of bivies for reasons already listed and experienced but, gotta ask....sleep in your vehicle? If your just needing a couple hours of dry, wind and sand proof shelter can you just carve out a portion of your vehicle for a pad and sleeping bag?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've slept well in the military bivy sack. It is, like all, not designed for luxury camping. Gortex and wind proof. It will keep the dew off but in a storm will be a horror.

Sid Post

Observer
Australians swear by swags. There has been a proliferation of dome swags for the last decade or so but you can still find the traditional flat swags. Not something to carry on your back but perfect to go in the back of the ute or the roof rack. The canvas protects the mattress, pillow, blanket/sleeping bag inside as it all rolls up.
View attachment 832424

Something like that looks really good!

Here are the two I found:
https://www.kakaduusa.com/tents-swags/
https://23zero.com/product/dual-swag-900-single/

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have a waxed canvas bedroll, that can slide over my sleeping bag/pad. Works great. I have used it from just quick trips, like crashing in the bed of the truck, and strapped to horses or even a moto through Patagonia.
IMG_20200920_0627162.jpgIMG_20181113_1451355.jpgIMG_20181116_1728547.jpg

I had it made a long time ago. I don’t have many pictures of it.

Zipper on both sides, and a long/tall “ hood” that can be pulled down and over, or just flipped back or inside if needed. When I was in Baja, I just used it on the bed of the truck as it. And used it in the backseat in a pinch.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
That bedroll looks like a good option for something really handy without a lot of bulk.
I like it. Truth be told, it’s just been a piece of gear I use and forget about. It usually goes over my Nemo sleeping bag, with integrated pad & Sleeve. It’s actually stupid comfy. But could be used standalone.

I think it was either an Etsy, or E-bay purchase made 10ish years ago. But I will see if I can find where I got it from. I have not used it when dumping rain, but ligth rain and dew have never created an issue. It may just be the back/rear and hood that is treated and the lighter colored as is

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have a waxed canvas bedroll, that can slide over my sleeping bag/pad. Works great. I have used it from just quick trips, like crashing in the bed of the truck, and strapped to horses or even a moto through Patagonia.
View attachment 832592View attachment 832593View attachment 832594

I had it made a long time ago. I don’t have many pictures of it.

Zipper on both sides, and a long/tall “ hood” that can be pulled down and over, or just flipped back or inside if needed. When I was in Baja, I just used it on the bed of the truck as it. And used it in the backseat in a pinch.
I'm a total bedroll fan. I made a heavy canvas one years ago and keep it loaded with a couple of wool blankets and a pillow. I just used it again in Moab last week. Used it in the truck with a sleeping bag and in my tent on a cot. Keeps everything clean and neat. IMG_3590.jpegIMG_6763.pngIMG_6764.pngIMG_6762.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears