New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

Markal

Help with a midsize truck decision.
I am going to buy a Ranger or Tacoma, I don't think I will buy a new one b/c I am only interested in an access cab 6ft bed.
I also need a locking diff. ( I know I can add one). I guess you can still get a 2024 Tacoma 4x4 access cab just no the TRD (so no locking diff).
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on reliability and the better platform is. The truck will see HWY and a lot of dirt, no rock crawling but logging roads, shale, snow, and mud.
Thanks
Test drive a Tacoma. The previous gen (2023 and older) has a very weird seating position. Intolerable for me, but some don’t mind it.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
TFL just did a nice side by side comparison of all the trucks traction control systems. The verdict was hands down the Tacoma was the smoothest and didn’t best job of putting power to the correct wheel. The ranger unfortunately was almost non existent in the front axle for traction control and the Chevy did well on the front axle but you had to really spin the back to activate the rear locker.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
TFL just did a nice side by side comparison of all the trucks traction control systems. The verdict was hands down the Tacoma was the smoothest and didn’t best job of putting power to the correct wheel. The ranger unfortunately was almost non existent in the front axle for traction control and the Chevy did well on the front axle but you had to really spin the back to activate the rear locker.
Was it the ZR2 for the comparison? It should not have spun to activate if it was the ZR2. Otherwise the G80 requires spin,

jgallo1

Adventurer
If I go Ranger it will be a 21-23 and then if it's a Tacoma I guess I will go 2024 sr5 and have to add the locker. I do like the looks of the new Tacoma. One strange thing with Tacoma's new access cab is the access doors don't open anymore. One pretty cool thing about the access cab Tacoma, is that the access cab is just storage from the factory.
The Ranger wins with payload and towing.

Lots to think about.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I did just watch this video. Seems like a toss up between the trucks. The Ranger has better payload / towing/ hwy manners. Tacoma is better offroad and looking IMO ha ha. I have always been under the idea of big truck buy American, Small truck buy Toyota.

Markal

I did just watch this video. Seems like a toss up between the trucks. The Ranger has better payload / towing/ hwy manners. Tacoma is better offroad and looking IMO ha ha. I have always been under the idea of big truck buy American, Small truck buy Toyota.
After first putting a deposit down for a '24 Tacoma TRD Off Road, I ended up getting a Ranger. I actually like the way the Ranger looks better and I could get options I wanted for about $7k less than the Tacoma. Driving experience was similar, I think, but I drove them three weeks apart so hard to say.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If I go Ranger it will be a 21-23 and then if it's a Tacoma I guess I will go 2024 sr5 and have to add the locker. I do like the looks of the new Tacoma. One strange thing with Tacoma's new access cab is the access doors don't open anymore. One pretty cool thing about the access cab Tacoma, is that the access cab is just storage from the factory.

Lots to think about.
The storage would be easier to access with doors though. I don't really understand Toyotas thinking there. Maybe cheaper to build w/o doors?

I want to say there was a mid size ext. cab that had a seat delete option from the factory. Could have been a Taco. It was a while ago so my memory is failing me.

EDIT: It was bugging me so had to google it. Looks like it was a Ranger option:

2019 Ranger Second-Row Seat Delete.jpg

Also looks like it was an option on the previous gen Colorado / Canyon.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Maybe cheaper to build w/o doors?
Absolutely...

The "small" rear seat area is a gargantuan space on my Tundra once I removed the seats. I have 6 large storage crates (~70L each), a big tool box and a bunch of tools, 8 gal jugs of drinking water, and a mountain bike back there... and could add another tier. The doors are still a little awkward for access, but the Tacoma with no door would be a thorough PITA to use.

Last edited:

jmodz

Lots to think about.
One thing to think about is the XtraCab on the new Tacoma has leaf springs instead of the new coil spring setup. It’s now an SUA design as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman