Expeditions West Tacoma FAQ

Scott Brady

Founder
I have started this thread to help answer the common questions I receive about my Tacoma. I hope this helps :D

ARB_bumper_3.JPG

If you cannot find an answer here, feel free to post the question in this thread or email me at guide@expeditionswest.com :)

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Our HJ60 (7).jpg
    Our HJ60 (7).jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCI0340.jpg
    DSCI0340.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Roof Rack Basket Question

Question from Rob:

"Really like the roof basket you use on the top of your white Tacoma D-Cab that you guys built up, was wondering if you have a side pic or two you could spare, perhaps a close view showing how the rack attaches to the basket. I have a Yakima roof rack and want to throw a roof basket up there as well."

Thanks for the question Rob:

I am using the following parts:

Thule Parts-
Thule Hull-a-Port Kayak Rack (835)
Thule QuickDraw Ratcheting boat straps (855)
Thule Aero Foot (400)
Thule Cable Lock (538)
Thule 58" Load Bars (LB58)
Thule Fit Kit (111)

Con-Ferr Parts-
6" Portal Rack, Fully welded 3'x5'

The Con-Ferr rack is bolted directly to the Thule Load Bars with 5/16"x1 1/4" bolts. This picture shows the mounting a little closer. This picture shows the rack from underneath.

The Con-Ferr rack has a base mount rail which is predrilled to accept at least 8 positions.

More information and pictures:
With awning

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Scott-
I have saw a picture of an added fuse block you have installed, who makes it where did you get it?

Wil

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
Scott-
I have saw a picture of an added fuse block you have installed, who makes it where did you get it?

Wil

I have two auxiliary fuse blocks on the truck:

1. The first is mounted on the firewall, inside the cab, and next to the kick panel. It is a Painless Wiring 7 circuit weather resistant fuse block. It feeds all of the gauges, the aux. fuel pump, the lights and the vision system..
70207.jpg

2. The second is mounted in the tool box, and support the full time power requirements. It is a Blue Sea block from West Marine (thanks Bajataco and DesertDude). These are really nice units, and a bargain compared to the Painless units.
fuseblock_f.jpg

The Painless unit has the edge on reliability (fully potted, Hella relays), but the Blue Sea units are 1/3 the price.

TheWoodser

Aux Fuel

Can you detail your search for a Aux Fuel solution and what made you deside on your choice?

Thanks

Woodser

Scott Brady

Founder
Great question of the fuel tank:

First, here is some information on my installation: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/fuel_tank.html

I spent a few months researching the options, and these are the results.

1. The only commercially available solution is from Downey, a 15 gallon unit. It is over $800 with shipping
2. In-bed options (like the tool box units) are nice, and an easy install. But I wanted the weight lower and could not afford to loose the bed space.
3. The race cells are not a good choice, as skid plates are a challenge to make and the fills are typically on the top. It also requires an in-line fuel pump.
4. OEM solutions are the best, and least expensive option IMO.
A. The Trooper tank allows lots of capacity (22.5 gallons), but you will loose ground clearance. I dont really care about the 4" I lost, as the lift and tires brought that back. It also has a HD skid plate and a fantastic in-tank pump.
B. The Suzuki Sidekick tank is small (15 gallons) and allows better clearance. It also has an in-tank pump and skid plate.

BajaTaco built a nice, high clearance tank (14 gallons) for his truck.

TheWoodser

Tire Clearance / Trimming

What is the best / easiest way to trim the inner plastic of the front wheel wells?

I just got some new BF Goodrich Mud Terrains and they rub just a bit. Is there any tricks I should know about to remove/trim/reinstall the plastic bits?

Thanks in advance.

Also thanks for the Fuel Tank Info. I talked to Downey and they said their tank would not work with my 2004 Double Cab. Any idea on that one?

Scott Brady

Founder
TheWoodser said:
What is the best / easiest way to trim the inner plastic of the front wheel wells?

I just got some new BF Goodrich Mud Terrains and they rub just a bit. Is there any tricks I should know about to remove/trim/reinstall the plastic bits?

Thanks in advance.

Also thanks for the Fuel Tank Info. I talked to Downey and they said their tank would not work with my 2004 Double Cab. Any idea on that one?

Here is an article I wrote on that subject. Let me know if it doesnt answer your question.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/bfg_mt_km.html

TheWoodser

No Worries

BajaTaco said:
Sorry about that. I will be re-doing some of the plumbing on my setup, so I am waiting on that before I write the article.

No worries, I too am in the middle of a major website revamp.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Synthetic Rope Thymble Cover

expeditionswest said:
I have started this thread to help answer the common questions I receive about my Tacoma. I hope this helps :D

Scott,
I'm not sure it's really a common questions, but yesterday I received my second "4WD Toyota Owners" magazine and was reading the "Steep & Deep" sections. I noticed on the pic of you starting the "Lion's Back" that your Synthetic Rope thymble at the hook seemed to be covered in black. What did you put on it or did it come that way?

I'm trying to come up with a cover for the thymble since it's the only exposed section of the rope when completely spooled in. I'd like to cover it up since Synthetic Ropes are succeptible to UV degradation.

Cheers :beer:,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Scott,
I'm trying to come up with a cover for the thymble since it's the only exposed section of the rope when completely spooled in. I'd like to cover it up since Synthetic Ropes are succeptible to UV degradation.

My line from Roadless Gear came with a wear sleeve, probably 10' in length. It covers the line to prevent UV and abrasion damage.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Wear/abrasion guard

expeditionswest said:
My line from Roadless Gear came with a wear sleeve, probably 10' in length. It covers the line to prevent UV and abrasion damage.

Scott, I saw your pics of the rope in your "An M8000 Warn weighing less than 50lbs.?" thread and also visited the Roadless Gear website but could not see a clear picture of the thimble area. I'm interested in the material that seems to be covering the thimble itself on your line. I also have a wear sleeve but it does not cover the thimble, see attached pic.
exposed_thimble.jpg

Can you take a close up pic of your thimble if you have the chance?
Cheers :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles