Simple, reliable water supply

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
For years I've been considering how to equip my FJ40 with a simple bulk water supply and faucet. My criteria were:

1. At least a ten gallon capacity.
2. Not plastic, since it would be exposed to UV radiation (also for taste).
3. Capable of being switched to other vehicles such as our Tacoma, yet . . .
4. Secure against shifting or catastrophic movement in a rollover.
5. Efficient use of space.
6. Simple and fast dispensing system.
7. Gravity feed, in keeping with the simplicity of the Land Cruiser.

So, this is what I finally came up with:

Watertank.jpg

I had a stainless steel tank welded up, ten inches by fifteen tall by 22 long. It holds a bit over 14 gallons, and is internally baffled to minimize sloshing. Tabs around the top allow me to secure it in numerous places. It fits nicely on the passenger side wheelwell, but remember I have a cargo platform that extends between the top of each wheelwell to give me a bi-level load space.

On the bottom right you can see a red master valve, then a flexible tube, then a chrome-plated hose faucet. I wanted to construct a fitting for my rear rack to clip the faucet to while camped, but my friend Bruce looked at it and said "Why not just use a magnet?" So I obtained a stout magnet, attached the faucet to that with a conduit clamp, and now when I stop and lower the tailgate I simply pull out the assembly and stick it to the upright post of the rack:

Faucet.jpg

When I leave I coil the hose and stick the magnet to the inside of the vehicle. So far the arrangement is working perfectly, and the design could easily be modified for other vehicles. It's great to have nearly three jerry cans worth of water stored safely and ready to use, and the tank should last a long, long time.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Very nice Jonathan! :clapsmile

Will this eliminate all other water containers your currently using or just be for drinking and cooking...or an addition to?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, John.

I always have a backup supply of at least a couple gallons stashed here and there in Nalgenes, but this tank should easily handle my needs for a week-long solo trip or four to five days with the two of us.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Jonathan Hanson said:
Thanks, John.

I always have a backup supply of at least a couple gallons stashed here and there in Nalgenes, but this tank should easily handle my needs for a week-long solo trip or four to five days with the two of us.

I'm lobbying for at least 2 more of these in the LC - can't wait to fill up my camping spa!

(Just kidding - it's a very slick piece of gear, and the photos don't do justice to how nicely made AND stout everything is; and I think it's extra sweet that Jonathan made sure to have it designed so it fits my truck, too. :)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
BRILLIANT! I love it and it certainly compliments your rig, and is in keeping with the reliability/simplicity factor. :beer:

When you turn the faucet handle, is the ball too stiff that it overcomes the magnet hold, or is it not so resistant to being turned?

Again, very cool.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, Chris!

Nope, the magnet is plenty strong to hold tight while I use the faucet. I have to sort of peel it off to release it.

I investigated rare earth (Neodymium) magnets at first, but I learned they would probably be too strong in the size I wanted. The description on one stated that it would "warp a computer screen image from four feet away," and warned in no uncertain terms that it was not to be purchased by anyone with a pacemaker. Yikes! I had a vision of tossing my digital cameras in the back and having the damn faucet magnet erase all my images. And a friend said, "Yeah, and imagine if ******** Cheney walked up and said 'Hey, nice Land Crui . . .' and then dropped dead!"

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Very NICE Jonathan........!!!!!

I've been trying to think how I could do that.........but I would like to put it under my truck to save interior room and keep center of gravity as low as possible.

How can I do that in my 1st Generation 4Runner?

I have some space up under the right rear wheel well. I bet I could fit at least 10 gallons under there. But there is probably a better spot for more capacity.

Your tank looks awesome!!!!!!!!

Great job!!!!!!!!!

~Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I have some space up under the right rear wheel well. I bet I could fit at least 10 gallons under there. But there is probably a better spot for more capacity...~Mark
consider the whole vehicles balance. Can the balance of your rig take the weight of 10gal of water in that wheel well area? Would be fine maybe if additional 12v batteires and tools were stored on the opposit side. Untill you start using up the water LOL.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Mark, I think an underbody water tank is absolutely practical. You'd need it made of heavier steel (mine is 14-gauge, I think), perhaps skidplated, and you'd want a pressure system so you didn't have to crawl under the car to get water.

The guys I use in Tucson, Precision Stainless, can build anything you can measure and draw (they also work with standard sheet steel). Right now they're building some massive custom center consoles for the Border Patrol, incorporating a bombproof laptop bracket. I might try to get some pictures and post a thread. After all, it's our tax dollars paying for them . . .

For me the wheel well mount made sense since I wanted it removable. It's still reasonably low, yet high enough for gravity feed. And FJ40s like to lean to the left, so the right side was the place for it!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jonathan Hanson said:
Thanks, Chris!

Nope, the magnet is plenty strong to hold tight while I use the faucet. I have to sort of peel it off to release it.

I investigated rare earth (Neodymium) magnets at first, but I learned they would probably be too strong in the size I wanted. The description on one stated that it would "warp a computer screen image from four feet away," and warned in no uncertain terms that it was not to be purchased by anyone with a pacemaker. Yikes! I had a vision of tossing my digital cameras in the back and having the damn faucet magnet erase all my images. And a friend said, "Yeah, and imagine if ******** Cheney walked up and said 'Hey, nice Land Crui . . .' and then dropped dead!"

******** - u crack me up. :) Glad to hear it's dialed in just right. Can't wait to see it sometime.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Excellent Jonathan!

The stainless looks great and the fittings and faucet look like a commercial job. The fact that it's versatile and movable from vehicle to vehicle definitely ups the cool factor too!

Anymore info on the secure mounting you're using? I see a small turnbuckle in the first pic. Where will you mount it in Roseann's Taco?

I'd definitely be interested in seeing pics of the custom consoles they are making too. Looks like they do great work.

So for a short weekend trip can you just fill it with Lemon Hefeweizen and use it like a keg? :ylsmoke:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Hmm . . .keg duty! Interesting, although Bass Ale would be the likely contents in the Hanson camp. I wonder if I could hook it up to the CO2 tank and have a pressurized tap?

I used stainless fitting and stainless turnbuckles to secure the tank to the existing bolts that hold the top on the LC, in three places. I have doubts a full tank would stay in place in a high-speed highway shunt, but I'm confident it would survive a low-speed tip or rollover on the trail. I plan to make a welded angle iron cradle for the base of the tank which would reinforce the mount immensely and simplify mounting in the Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke