The most expensive overlander?!

Scott Brady

Founder
This one would be my choice:

biwaku-2600.jpg

I am really curious how my system works on extended expedition, as the challenge of these large vehicles is the restriction to improved surfaces and sand/beaches. For example, most of these vehicles could not follow the tracks I have in the Sierra Madre or even complete the White Rim.

I would propose that a better solution might even be to use a nice trailer as a tow behind to a truck like mine. That way you could drop it as a base camp, and explore an area with a lighter weight, more efficient solution.

I have also found that many of these solutions must travel at a painfully slow pace to keep the occupants from rebelling, or the cabinetry in place (the cab overs come to mind).

However, I will admit to lusting over the EarthRoamer on more than one occassion. It would make an excellent mobile office...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Scott-

That brings up a good point. When I drove trucks, the cab overs at my company were nick named "kidney beaters". Once the payload is increased even the smallest bumps on a paved road become annoying over distances of 50 miles. I used to hate having to take one outside the local area. If you look at tractor trailer's now, it is rare to see a cab overdesign doing long hauls or OTR trips.

I am sure these designers have gone to great lengths to comfort the drivers and secure the goods inside the vehicle, however with my past experience in cab overs on roads, i would be rather hessitant to purchase one for expedition travel. Many are slower, however some to have some great advantages that might outweigh other vehicles in comparision.

Wil

gjackson

FRGS
Scott,

I have to disagree that these trucks are restricted to improved surfaces. The one you have a pic of is a Unimog, and they are very impressive off road. Sure, you can't tip them like you can an SUV, but a Mog could do White Rim with no worries and so could one of those MANs from Unicat. I've seen both 6x6 and 4x4 Mogs in the Sahara where roads aren't and they handle everything out there with ease. Mainly because clearence is no problem at all and they are geared six ways to Sunday. You certainly get into trouble where roads are narrow and trees are close to the track, because they can be a beast to move around. They use 4x4 MANs in the truck class of the Paris Dakar as well as support vehicles for that race. Check out some of the vids on the unicat site. Not real rock crawling, but some good stuff all the same.

The big advantage of the forward control (cab over) is the increased payload space. You sit over the engine and everything behind can be used for load. That is why Land Rover made the 101FC for the British military and it makes a very good overlander. Ditto with the Pinzgauer. Comfort is probably where you loose the most, being right over the front wheels. As Wil said, they can make a rough ride. Again check out the vids from Unicat -- you can see that the MANs and Renaults have a suspended cab, most likely on air shocks, and given that big rubber and the twisty frame, the ride might not be so bad. But, since no ones ever let me drive one I can't say for sure!

cheers
Graham
www.africaoverland.org

Scott Brady

Founder
Graham,

I should have been more specific.

I was refering to the large Unicats. The larger vehicles do not have the tree clearance or are they narrow enough to run the shelf roads. I have also been on several swithbacks that would be impossible to negotiate in a vehicle that size.

A Unimog is an incredible performer... That is why I picked that one pictured above. Small enough for tight, rugged tracks. :victory:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
After watching one of the videos it looks like the MAN is a bit on the tippy side. I would also be concernerd about off camber driving in some situation with this vehicle. Looks rather impressive though for its size. I think in this picture it might be pushing it limits if the driver took the other line to the right of the vehicle (Left in the picture) IMO.

Galerie-EX63-HD.2-560.jpg

I would feel much more secure and safe in a vehicle not quite as massive as this, thus a reas I chose a Taco as my base to build up on.
summertown30.sized.jpg

gjackson

FRGS
Scott,

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you didn't know it was a Mog. Just had to be sure. ;-) But, by the same token, I think you may be surprised at what those MANs can do. Don't forget that a lot of the tall part is open space and that most of the weight is pretty low. I only speak from having seen them in action and being very impressed myself.

. . .if only I could get one big enough to park my Defender in the back of!

cheers

Graham

Attachments

• 1376391_840065016027965_1337444011604370217_n.jpg
    1376391_840065016027965_1337444011604370217_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1551529_786781768022957_2136378427369762027_n.jpg
    1551529_786781768022957_2136378427369762027_n.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1919640_840150849352715_8733635638860146629_n.jpg
    1919640_840150849352715_8733635638860146629_n.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0091 (1).jpg
    IMG_0091 (1).jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 2

Blair G

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
After watching one of the videos it looks like the MAN is a bit on the tippy side. I would also be concernerd about off camber driving in some situation with this vehicle. Looks rather impressive though for its size. I think in this picture it might be pushing it limits if the driver took the other line to the right of the vehicle (Left in the picture) IMO.

I would feel much more secure and safe in a vehicle not quite as massive as this, thus a reas I chose a Taco as my base to build up on.
summertown30.sized.jpg

I also think you have to take into consideration the original target audiance of Unicat. Rich EU's and Saudis. Also, the areas in which their audiance tend to travel seems to include large roads and wide open spaces.
If you have ever talked to the people who use their trucks, they understand that the size of their vehicles limit their travels. However, in order to see what they miss, they find other ways. My friends who are in Peru with their Unicat have a motorcycle that lowers from the back of the truck. Pretty cool setup. If that does not work they hire a helicopter or a smaller 4x4 and use the truck as a base camp. Most are in a different league.
The gadget factor on Unicats are impressive. Anything you want you can have. When you pay that much it makes sense. My 110 lacks marble in the bathroom and I doubt your Taco has a seperate climate controlled champagne celler.
Personally, I don't miss it.
Blair

haven

Expedition Leader
custom 'Mog and trailer

Here's my vote for the "cost is no object" overland vehicle:
Maximog, a custom Unimog with even more custom trailer.

trailer_mog_big.jpg

The trailer has the same suspension as the truck, with 25 inches
of ground clearance. Each wheel has a hydraulic motor, so when
attached to the truck's hydraulic PTO, the trailer can help power
the vehicle forward.

(Yes, the truck's running boards retract when the vehicle is in motion.)

Read more about this project at http://www.maximog.com

Chip Haven

Doin_It

Adventurer
Yea I remember reading about the Maxi when it was built a couple of years ago Chip. Very neat on the whole trailer idea. I remember thinking though, try and get that puppy accross some borders in Africa or South America and the amount of talking you'd have to do to prove you aren't CIA or FBI etc. etc. with all of the "Inspector Gadget" stuff on board.

skysix

Adventurer

summertown30.sized.jpg

Not sure I agree - here's a pic of a Unicat on an offcamber switchback,

MD48-MANLE18.280Doka.3-560.jpg

and another showing the testing before sale. Having all the water/waste tanks and batteries/generator etc low is essential.

UM12FHAS.5-560.jpg

Note the lack of a safety strap to prevent rolling off the tilt table - they must have been pretty confident it would pass - given that it is a customers undelivered / unpaidfor rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online