Road side emergency kit

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I was at Costco last night and I saw they were selling a road side emergency kit that included a pretty well stocked first aid kit, gloves, etc. And it also included a 150psi air compressor. I wonder if anyone else has seen this and if I could get thier input. I was thinking of getting one for each of the cars, if not just to have them for the first aid kit.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen this same kit at Costco and considered it enough to open one up right there in the store and spread it out on the floor to look at it closely! I was surprised that many of it's parts were fairly low quality or of the quality that I could pick up at the Dollar Store or in that $3.00 clearance bin at the hardware store. I seemed to me more for a small four door sedan that may break down on the side of the road less than a mile from help.
If I remember it was between $30-$50?
Flashlight
Triangles
Short Jumper Cables
First Aid Kit
Gloves - maybe
One of those towing ropes with the hooks
And an Air pump in the one you found.

I would consider it for our Rav4 that stays on the pavement but not for an OHV.
For my vehicle I prefer to piece together my own kit with parts that I think will last longer.

I do however like the First Aid kits that Costco has. They come in a bright red neoprene case with handles. It's well stocked for the $20 price tag. I have come close to throwing a couple in the cart many times but then remember this big first aid kit sitting at home that I can pick from, but sadly no cool red neoprene case!

If you just want the first aid kit I would go with the neoprene case one. Then you can add your own flashlight and jumper cables.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Brian, I have the flash lights and jumper cables, even the gloves, I was more wondering about the compressor and first aid kit. As I am on a tight budget at the moment I thought about it as a cheap temporary measure. I have seen those cool first aid kits you are talking about though, and have thought about it also in my many trips to Costco.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I have one of those in my Wife's Liberty. We've used it several times now.

I consider this to be worth the $30 for sure.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I thought I'd bump this thread up rather than starting a new one. I'm looking to buy a new, better first aid kit for the truck. Right now I just carry my backpacker first aid kit with me on trips, but I'd like something more substantial. Do most folks build their own or buy a certain style kit?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I carry this first aid kit.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11072475&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

I really like it. It has a good selection of typical needs. I added a couple items to it to make it more rounded. CPR mouth to mouth damns, Snake bite kit and a Thermometer. Personal need items should also be considered if you have allergies to bee stings you need to add treatments for that.

My Club has a bonified EMT kit (several of our members are Fire fighters and LEO's)that goes on trail rides. Our club also has a defibrillator that goes in the trail leaders rig with the EMT kit. Took me dropping dead of a heart attack for that to get added. I wasn't with the club when it happened but several of us have known heart issues.

My club also requires a emergency information "green sheet". We require one for each person in the vehicle. It has pertinent medial insurance and medical condition information and contact numbers for next of kin so you know where to send the caucus.
We also have a mandatory safety and equipment list.
http://www.gbr4wd.com/download/GBREquipListjan03.pdf

As for the emergency roadside kits...I have as of yet to see one worth a damn. The Jumper cables are JUNK. The rest of the stuff in them isn't much better.
I would recommend you invest in good materials:

Long Jumper cables that are 4 Gage with good quality clamps.
Mag light or similar high quality flash light.
Cheap compressor but if you have a flat while driving chances are the tire has a bigger hole then a little $10 compressor will deal with. If you want a 12v compressor then buy a better quality one and skip those cheapies.

Small assortment of quality tools. Nothing is worse then a cheap set of tools that fail and you bust your knuckles when they do. Get a roll up pouch and a assortment of open end wrenches that fit the most common sized bolts on the truck. Jap trucks mostly use 10mm,12mm,14mm 17mm. Set of slip joint pliers and a pair of vice grips (you can pinch break lines shut if you cut one down. Pinch off heater hoses as well. Always usable as a second set of pliers.

I like the emergency hose repair kits. Its a couple sleeves and radiator clamps. Throw a foot of 3/4 radiator hose and you can cover most issues to get you to a parts store.

Handful of 7 inch zip ties, couple bungee cords and a couple ratchet straps. I have seen more then one truck drive out of the woods with a ratchet strap holding a transfer case in.

Couple road flares.

Spare flash light batteries.

A good 4 way lug wrench.....the wrench that comes with the truck is short and usually won't work with wide rims.

Jack that can actually get the truck off the ground. Most factory jacks won't lift a truck with over sized tires or a suspension lift. Usually a couple pieces of wood will make them work but find out what it will take before you are in need. If you factory jack lifts from the body and you have long travel suspension then you need a few feet of chain. If you chain the axle or suspension before you start jacking you will not need to lift the vehicle nearly as much. In the case of a highlft the less you need to lift the better. Just be careful not to pinch brake lines.

2.5lb ABC extinguisher with a GOOD bracket.

WD 40 and the junk is not good for lubrication. It is for drying out ignition components like distributor caps. WD stands for "water displacement". Great marketing makes you think its for anything else but it is helpful some times.

Duct tape....Million and one uses from holding a hood down to making a leg splint.

Scott Brady

Founder
I thought long about emergency kits when specifying my truck, and found that most of the items required, I already had in the truck, and many were used in camp, etc.

The one thing I am a believer in is a survival kit. Something you can grab quickly and will keep you alive. A fire or water loss is a possibility with our trips. You need to be able to grab a small kit and go.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118&highlight=survival+sack

I was reminded of the need to be constantly prepared with tools, etc. though. A fuse went on an electric fan some time ago up in the mountains Cold and dark, I could not repair it as this was just a "local" driver.

Always leave at least moderately prepared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles