Best Underhood shower?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Seeing DesertDude/DesertGirl's rig this weekend, along with EW's set up has got be thinking now might be the time to add one.

My only "needs"....Pump fed, no gravity jobbies...Must heat the water...

And....do any of our fine forum sponsors carry these? ;)

Any things to look for?

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
I am right in the throws of this myself. I have purchased the 30 gallon water tank from PPLMotorhomes

and I now have the enclosure, supplied by Paha Que and Adventure Trailers

tepee.jpg

I have vacillated back and forth on how to heat the water. For performance, I would like a tank system. Maybe 2-4 gallons with an exchanger and an immersion element (less than 800 watts). BUT these units are a little heavy, and take up a great deal of space. That makes the system like Pasquale is using very appealing.

The search continues...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
The Power Shower is on my list, It seems close to DesertDude's set up:
shower_heatexchange_medium.jpg

The heat exchanger is made from coiled copper with an outer steel of Maranyl (a glass filled nylon mix that is used for most modern radiators) and is pretty indestructible.

And Just for Aaron.... check out these tire covers!
Girl%20in%20PowerShower_small.jpg

Wil

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'v been reading up on onboard showers as i plan to build/install one this coming year.

Here's a thread i found that has alot of good info, part sources, links to others designs, physics behind proper heating principles, end results etc.

Only one available in a kit that i'm currently aware of is S&W Specialty Products or something like that.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a solution :)

Well, after nearly a month of research, I have a solution on the way. I have always been concerned with touching the vehicles coolant system, and more concerningly running coolant lines all the way back to the bed. I also did not want to run the engine because the tent is just above the exhaust. This cool little water heater is electric and will run off of my inverter. While driving, the inverter will power the heater and bring the water temp to 170 degrees. One gallon of 170 degree water will provide enough water for at least two (longer) showers as the shower has cold and hot inlets.

Hot water heater: Hubbell CE-110 450

1 Jacket Blue-Green Enamel
2 Heating Element 450 Watts, 120V
3 Thermostat 110-170oF
4 Stainless Steel Tank - 1 Gallon
5 Hi Limit Manual Reset - 190oF
6 Access Plate To Hi-Limit
7 Cold Water Inlet - 1/4" Male NPT
8 Hot Water Inlet - 1/4" Male NPT
9 Front Cover
10 Electrical Service Entrance
11 Insulation Fiberglass 1" Thick
12 T&P Relief Valve Opening

Optional Equipment:
Tempering valve to increase the supply of hot water to 11.5 GPH 45-110oF
450 watt model, please specify model CE110-450 W rated 4 amp at 120 V

Notes:
Unit rated for 150 psi WP
Recovery rated 6.3 GPH 45-110oF and will draw 8.3 amps at 120 V, 1 PH
Unit supplied with two (2) wall mounting brackets
Unit supplied with T&P relief valve set at 150 psi and 210oF

ce3b.gif

ce110.jpg

Enclosure: TePee
tepee.jpg

91xlt

Adventurer
i also was looking into onboard showers, i opted to buy the "Zodi" outback shower, i bought the one which uses 2 propane bottles for winter outings, these are great units. as far as an onboard i am still looking for "just the right" heat exchanger but i will find one. just my $.02.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've been very impessed by my Helton Hot Water unit thusfar... hopefully this season will bring plenty of chances to use it :cool:

(not trying to pimp, just giving my honest opinion) :eek:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Bump...

I have seen a few of the enclosures out there, and considered making my own... What have you guys been happy with?

gcec

I can vouch for R&M Specialty Products having used one of their units for over two years. Excellent heat, good water pressure. Had it installed in a refurbished 87 Land Rover Defender 110. Bloody excellent.... Nothing like a hot shower on the trail.

BTW... Thermometer read -15C when this pic was taken :)

shower.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Fun Pic gcec.....!

Thanks for sharing!

-15 degree Celsius = 5 degree Fahrenheit .....Yikes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne