GPS purchase - offer your guidance

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
OK so GPS navigation is a very subjective. Based on needs - budget - platform. If money was no object and you wanted as many features as you could get in one unit which one would surface to the top?

must haves;

(1) street navi
(2) voice prompts
(3) inputing of way points
(4) used for streets
(5) used for off highway adventure
(6) color screen
(7) update -able mapping
(8) external anttenna

Remember $$ is not the consideration

is this one the one? > Garmin 2620

Attachments

• 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1

Scott Brady

Founder
If I was buying a new model, it would be the Garmin 276c
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-GPSMAP-276C-standard-package.asp

GA00331.jpg

I do know that Chris and Uwe have had good luck with their Magellans too.

My Garmin Vista has been a great unit, but too small for vehicle use.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Looks like a winner - data cards - large color screen - accessories. Being an Apple user I guess I will have to get a PC laptop for loading

Thanks for the input!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
... I do know that Chris and Uwe have had good luck with their Magellans too.

Yea, they are great for their ability out of the vehicle (hand-held) but for what DD is asking for, they won't cut it.

Unfortunately, I am not up to speed on all of the details of the latest hard-mount units for vehicle-only use. The Garmin unit does look sweet. I am interested in the stuff from Lowrance. They won best-of-show at SEMA with their I-way product, and I am really digging this iWay 800c that they are coming out with - a 10.4" touch-screen! :eek: Here is a PCmag review on the current 500 model. 20gb of storage including MP3's - very cool. You would need to verify, but I think you can also use all of their MMC/SD card software, which would mean topo maps and their world database which looked to me like it had pretty decent detail of Baja on it (from what I saw at SEMA). If I was going for a "full-on" off-road only unit, I would probably go for their "Baja" color GPS which can be mounted in-dash, is fully potted, and made for vibration.

DD - please keep us informed on what you find out! I'm curious to know what you decide on and why.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks Chris for your input - I have read and read and re read and I still find that I know very little about the subject -

From what I have gathered it is impossible to have one GPS unit do everything. I will post the purchase here - Back to reading :eek:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Desertdude said:
I have read and read and re read...

... From what I have gathered it is impossible to have one GPS unit do everything...

Yea, I think you hit the nail on the head there! Good luck with your research. I know when I bought mine, I went through the same thing - information overload!

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I just bought the Magellan Explorist 600. Once I get it and test it out, I'll let you know what I think.

Chuck...

Scott Brady

Founder
Oh my goodness, hide the credit cards... :box:

Garmin 396
Real time weather tracking
Situation awareness (radar, forecasts, Jeppensen topographical map overlays)

pt-gpsmap396LF-LG.jpg

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Ah shoot - now this is more like it - As you know, I all ready have the SkyFi XM Radio, so it would nice to tidy up the dashboad. Just wish it would use CF media instead of data cards ( seems dated)

How can one really decide

:archaeolo

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
Oh my goodness, hide the credit cards... :box:

Garmin 396
Real time weather tracking
Situation awareness (radar, forecasts, Jeppensen topographical map overlays)

I guess the Nevada Trophy got you used to the idea of flying your Tacoma, eh? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online