skid plates ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Took off the front bumper fascia on the Suzuki and am thinking of fabbing up a simple front skid plate that goes from the metal bumper to where my sump skid plate attaches.

What material is recommended for this? Aluminum, steel, thickness?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• zukifront.jpg
    zukifront.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 74

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That depends on the desired outcome, and the kind of (ab)use it will see. Are you looking for something that will keep brush, water, etc out? Or are you looking for something that will keep big rocks out? If you are looking for a "splash shield", aluminum will be fine. If you have access to a dimple die and press, you can get away with relatively thin material. On the other hand, if you are wanting something more substancial, steel is the way to go. The only problem is finding a source that will sell less than full size pieces. So call around and see if they sell remanents. For a typical non-supporting skid plate, 1/8" (.120) will be fine. If it is going to be a supporting structure (something you will use a jack on, support drivetrain components, etc.), I recommend nothing less than 1/4" for large flat plates. Obviously, things built out of round or square tube can be much thinner as the shape of the material adds significant strength to the product. Likewise, flat plates can be strengthened by adding gussets in appropriate places.

How big of a plate are you considering (length, width...)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
After looking at the attached pic...you need a small tube "pre-runner" style front bumper.......similar to Bajataco's bumer....or brittan's bumper (is he even over here?)

jeffryscott

thanks GT,

I want to get a winch-capable bumper, but there are basically no choices. ARB makes one for Sidekicks, as does Shrockworks and Calmini, but I believe the kick is different enough up front that making it fit might be problematic. I took detailed pics (with measurements, etc ..) when I had it off and want to send them to Shrock to see if the kick bumper might fit (links at bottom of reply).

In the meantime, I'd like a bit more protection. I don't think it needs to be as heavy duty as the ones under the vehicle. My thought for it is mostly for protection from killing my cooling system as a lot of that stuff appears more vulnerable with the cover off. I think if I was in rocks big enough to cause problems up front without a skid plate there, I'd have other problems as well. I've got skid plates underneath for the sump and transfer case so my protection there is decent for the rocks.

As for the bumpers, I like this one from Shrockworks: http://www.shrockworks.com/zukdevelopment.htm or I might be stuck with Calmini's winch mount grill-guard: http://www.puresuzuki.com/new_page_22.htm

I know from the work on your Rubicon that you are quite talented with a welder, and if you have other ideas, I'd love to talk to you more.

Thanks again,

Jeff

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
How is the Calmini mount attached to the vehicle? It sits awefully high....unless there is a solid attachment point higher than the winch, there is going to be alot of leverage on the mounts. It also only holds a 6K winch....which may be a touch on the light side. How much does your rig weigh?

jeffryscott

gross vehicle weight is 3890 (learned that from the Rally), so 6K would be good for me, but I wouldn't be a whole hell of a lot a help to most other folks.

I have no idea how it is mounted, I suspect to the frame horns where the bumper is mounted.

Calmini has a pretty poor customer service record so I would prefer not to do business with them. And truthfully, a bumper is down the list of things I want, and can afford, so when I am ready to buy, hopefully some of the other vendors will be getting stuff to market.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I am going to redo my skids early next year. We are going to try making them out of StarBoard. It is a high quality version of the cutting board material. We have access to it local so picking up a huge sheet for 145.00 is easy.

Rock buggies are using it now so I figure why not give it a try. I have to work outplacing it around the exhaust but I do not aniticipate any challenges. It will give me a nice 1 piece belly pan runing from the front bumper past the transfercase. I also want to make a section or the gas tank as well.

I figure worst case after a good local trial I will gp back to heavy steel. 3/16 with good frame work.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Be careful with the "starboard". Really, this is just a big sheet of either Delrin or UHMW. The reason the rock buggies are using it is not for structural support.....they are using it because it allows them to slide over the rocks easier than steel will. This material has great impact resistance, but only moderate load bearing properties. It typically used as bearing material/wear strips for plastic conveyor beds, sliding plastic doors on manufacturing equipment, etc. (basically anywhere that you have a piece of plastic sliding over something abrasive, you can put the delrin in to act as a bearing) You will never find this as a structural materail for anything except possibly the lightest of equipment. It simply will not hold much weight unless it is backed up by something stronger (steel, etc).

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jeff, did you talk with Nathan at Pangea? I think he is an ARB supplier for the states and may have an inside track to an ARB Bull Bar for the Vitara. I know they have them as it is the same vehicle in OZ and they have bull bars for them. I do not know if they are available in the US though. But he would be a good one to check with on that.

jeffryscott

datrupr said:
Jeff, did you talk with Nathan at Pangea? I think he is an ARB supplier for the states and may have an inside track to an ARB Bull Bar for the Vitara. I know they have them as it is the same vehicle in OZ and they have bull bars for them. I do not know if they are available in the US though. But he would be a good one to check with on that.

Aaron, the Vitara everywhere else was the Sidekick here. Unfortunately, the best I can tell scouring through the Australian 4x4 sites there are no bull bars yet for the new-body (99+), except for one guy in Hong Kong who had a friend, who new somebody in Taiwan or something (Mr. Left). I suspect there will be a "large" aftermarket for these vehicles sometime in the near future as prices are reasonable, gas mileage is great and performance as a 4x4 is quite good.

In the meantime, I bought a remnant piece of thick aluminum (23x19) that I can cut with a jigsaw, or so they said, and they can bend for me when I come up with a cardboard template. For $20 it is worth a try.

Jeff
(one of these days need to figure out how to get the CB back from you, or if you want to keep it, pm me and we can discuss)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Be careful with the "starboard". Really, this is just a big sheet of either Delrin or UHMW. The reason the rock buggies are using it is not for structural support.....they are using it because it allows them to slide over the rocks easier than steel will. This material has great impact resistance, but only moderate load bearing properties. It typically used as bearing material/wear strips for plastic conveyor beds, sliding plastic doors on manufacturing equipment, etc. (basically anywhere that you have a piece of plastic sliding over something abrasive, you can put the delrin in to act as a bearing) You will never find this as a structural materail for anything except possibly the lightest of equipment. It simply will not hold much weight unless it is backed up by something stronger (steel, etc).

So it could be mounted to a sub frame for support and be used as a skid plate...

jeffryscott

goodtimes said:
After looking at the attached pic...you need a small tube "pre-runner" style front bumper.......similar to Bajataco's bumer....or brittan's bumper (is he even over here?)

Brian,

Is this kind of what you are talking about. Found this on an Argentinan web site. Seems like it would be one way to do the front and back ... And fairly simple, or is that naive to think ?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• Apr13246.jpg
    Apr13246.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAGE084.JPG.jpg
    IMAGE084.JPG.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members