Expedition Portal national clean up day?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I was thinking to myself that we should start a national event. Since we are scatered all over the U.S., we should try to organize a date and declare it. Members close by could get together to work on a remote area close to them. Those that are along way from other members like myself could just get a few friends together to help out. What do you all think. Could be good way to get some publicity for the site and do some good out there for the sport.

Maybe scott can even get a mention for it in some of the 4X4 mags he writes for. Just a thought.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Our club in AZ the Copper State Cruisers try and do 4 trail clean ups a year.

I think it is a great idea!

Scott Brady

Founder
Fantastic idea... Everyone could report in. It would be fun to couple the day with a trail ride and post pictures of the clean-up and the trail fun.

Great idea Brian :clapsmile

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Let's raise the stakes and have contest - most trash collected - oddest piece of trash collected - most valuable piece of trash.

Keep the spirt of fun alive, while cleaning up the nation :sunny:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
Let's raise the stakes and have contest - most trash collected - oddest piece of trash collected - most valuable piece of trash.

Keep the spirt of fun alive, while cleaning up the nation :sunny:

Prizes? ;)

Or just bragging rights :jump:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Around here I could take a flatbed and fill it up a dozen times over from the BLM land (aka poor man's landfill).

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
certain ethnic cultures look at open land differently than eco conscious cultures. Growing up in NJ as a kid I saw dumping in the marsh lands, and everywhere in the woods - now it is all paved over...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Hey, i think this is a great idea! I would be in to help out in this effort. I had heard that a 4wheel club in Phoenix had gone off to Table Mesa road and cleaned up a few of the huge trash piles , but I was unsure until I saw it for my own eyes at teh rally. I think this is the kind of positive publicity we need.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'm always up for projects like this, the four wheelin community definately benefits from this type of exposure. :clapsmile

Desertdude said:
certain ethnic cultures look at open land differently than eco conscious cultures. Growing up in NJ as a kid I saw dumping in the marsh lands, and everywhere in the woods - now it is all paved over...

Where in NJ?

There have been several cleanups in the Jersey Pines over the last 5-6 years. The first one i was involved with we took out several containers full of trash. The Atison Ranger district handled the details, local clubs showed up and the press wrote several positive articles.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
This would be great!
Does anyone have flat-bed or uhaul type trailers that we could fill up?
Depending on where we go and how far offroad perhaps we could leave the trailers at the trailhead and shuttle back to them.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I am going to talk to the national park service about doing some work in the Faxahatchee strand or Big Cypress around Everglades City. If That is a challenge then I will most likely go up to the Withalacochee national forest.

I have already got about 10 people that are commited in my local area. I guess we ned to try and get a date together at some point.

I think having a clean up thread for the after is goo so we can post pics of all the areas we cleaned up along with pics of all the trash we left. Depending on where you are you might want to see about a flat bed trailer for old cars. I know that is a big problem in Florida.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Great idea - Tucson folks? We can organize something down here.

Are we doing it same day?

And here's my two cents: We should do it 'cause it's the right thing to do, not do it for prizes. That could be spun the wrong way by anti 4x4 people, and the media will buy right into. Let's just not give them anything but a good hook.

Have a fun day, camp out, share some good food, clean up a needed place.

In our area, I think Ironwood NM might be most in need, but we can talk with area BLM and Forest Service folks and see which area does not have an "adoptee" group. Buenos Aires and areas down by us are already served by some hunter groups. Redington and Charleau are done by the clubs.

Who in Tucson can join us?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
And here's my two cents: We should do it 'cause it's the right thing to do, not do it for prizes. That could be spun the wrong way by anti 4x4 people, and the media will buy right into. Let's just not give them anything but a good hook.

Have a fun day, camp out, share some good food, clean up a needed place.
QUOTE]

I'll pick up trash on the general principle of the thing and so will most people who enjoy the outdoors. I bring home all my trash and as much of the other trash as I can pack.

The idea of prizes was floated out there. Doesn't have to happen that way.

However, now is not the time to shy away from asking the vendors to be involved in our fight to preserve land access. That is what this all boils down to, I believe. YOU will get much less positive media attention than ARB will if they offer to sponsor a clean-up.

Regardless, this is a great idea. I think it would be a better idea if we could pick a weekend and plan clean-ups in more than one location. This would make it a national news event versus just a local one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles