Third Member Identification correct?

SixLug

Explorer
Hey guys, my dad was ordering my Christmas present today...a lockright locker. He said the guy asked him if my 3rd was a 2 pinion, 4 pinion, or a 12 bolt.....?what the hell is that? I didnt think yota's had bolt # identification. Anyway, I have a v6, so it has 4 pinions...correct? Just makin sure...thats what I told him anyway. Thanks guys....Alex

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Exrunner said:
Hey guys, my dad was ordering my Christmas present today...a lockright locker. He said the guy asked him if my 3rd was a 2 pinion, 4 pinion, or a 12 bolt.....?what the hell is that? I didnt think yota's had bolt # identification. Anyway, I have a v6, so it has 4 pinions...correct? Just makin sure...thats what I told him anyway. Thanks guys....Alex

Ummm, if its a 3rd member, it will only have 1 pinion! The "Pinion" is the gear that rides on the ring gear!

The "12 Bolt" Reference is a GM thing referring to how many bolts hold on the rear diff cover.

What year and model is your rig?

SixLug

Explorer
i have a 93 4runner....and yes, pinion also refers to the pinion gear....but the pinions inside the carrier are what I am referring to. I think I figured it out from my axle code though...thanks guys...Alex

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Exrunner said:
i have a 93 4runner....and yes, pinion also refers to the pinion gear....but the pinions inside the carrier are what I am referring to. I think I figured it out from my axle code though...thanks guys...Alex

As for "Pinions Inside The Carrier" i think you mean spider gears, which are the little gears inside that are replaced with a lockright or similiar locker. All 3rd's i have seen have 4 of them, 2 vertically and 2 horizontally. Pretty sure you need @ least 4 to function, but i could be wrong.

Where are ya located? I have installed many lockrights and if your in So Cal i could give ya a hand.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, even though spider gear is the normal term for those side gears, the reference is made to "two-pinion" and "four-pinion" differentials. (Technically a pinion is any gear that turns or is turned by another gear, I think.) Some differentials do have only two. Starting with the four-cylinder turbo models in the late 80s, Toyota began using four-pinion diffs with their more powerful engines. All the V6 models are so equipped, I believe, but there are still differences. The TRD locking differentials use a slightly smaller-diameter ring gear than the non-lockers. This is why some serious rock-crawler Toyota drivers buy standard V6 third members and install ARB lockers. (My nephew Jake, a master Toyota mechanic, says the TRD diff is plenty strong for all but the most demanding applications and highly modified motors.) The only drivers at all likely to run into trouble with Toyota third members are those who install very low gears with tiny pinions (that is, the ring-and-pinion one, not the spiders). Like, uh, Scott did on his truck.

I think the query about a "12-bolt" might be a mistake; I've never heard that reference to Toyotas either. That's a GM axle.

SixLug

Explorer
Jonathan Hanson said:
Yes, even though spider gear is the normal term for those side gears, the reference is made to "two-pinion" and "four-pinion" differentials. (Technically a pinion is any gear that turns or is turned by another gear, I think.) Some differentials do have only two. Starting with the four-cylinder turbo models in the late 80s, Toyota began using four-pinion diffs with their more powerful engines. All the V6 models are so equipped, I believe, but there are still differences. The TRD locking differentials use a slightly smaller-diameter ring gear than the non-lockers. This is why some serious rock-crawler Toyota drivers buy standard V6 third members and install ARB lockers. (My nephew Jake, a master Toyota mechanic, says the TRD diff is plenty strong for all but the most demanding applications and highly modified motors.) The only drivers at all likely to run into trouble with Toyota third members are those who install very low gears with tiny pinions (that is, the ring-and-pinion one, not the spiders). Like, uh, Scott did on his truck.

I think the query about a "12-bolt" might be a mistake; I've never heard that reference to Toyotas either. That's a GM axle.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Although some V6's did come with 2pinion difs, but it wasnt very many.

And Boston...I appreciate the willingness to help...thats awesome that people on this board are that cool....BUT, I live in TN. ha ha....kinda far away. If you wanna fly over....by all means, feel free to. ha ha. :D Anyway, if I run into trouble or something, Ill holler at you and see if you can help me from there. Thanks guys, Alex

Westy

Adventurer
Jonathan Hanson said:

the v6 3rds are said to be about 20% stronger than the 4cyl models, but the 4cyl 3rds are plenty strong for most applications though with low gearing and the torque it equates to (dual tcases) and such the R&P has been known to break, especially with locked up with 35"+. Some guys are going to cryo - treated gears.
Here is a good link about gear strengths - http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles