2000 Isuzu Trooper hub conversion

kevin

Observer
I have recently completed my manual hub conversion. I decided to use aisin hubs. They are known for durability, and I like the fact that they look like a factory option. The donor hubs came from a late model Isuzu Amigo. After alot of research, and trial and error, I found that Amigo hubs are a direct bolt on installation, no modifications are necessary. When you find a set of used hubs, be shure to get the thrust washers from the Amigo spline as you might need them in adjusting the clearance. The internal parts of the hub are identical to many other Japanese model vehicles, and can be found in almost any town in the world if needed.

Attachments

• hub 001.jpg
    hub 001.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 252
  • hub 002.jpg
    hub 002.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 1071.jpg
    1071.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1073.jpg
    1073.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1076.jpg
    1076.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great job Kevin, excellent post :)

I had good luck with the Superwinch hubs that were installed on my Trooper, but I think my preference would be the manual ones now.

Tell us more about your Trooper. The Trooper is one of my all time favorite SUV's

kevin

Observer
I just purchased the Trooper about three weeks ago, so at this point modifications are limited to the manual hub conversion, and a mild suspension lift. I am currently trying to decide what type and size of tire to put on. I think that with my lift I can fit 285/75 r16, however each company rates their tires differently, and they vary in size. Also choosing a tire tread pattern for use in the pacific northwest can be difficult. In a few hours driving time you can go from the high desert of eastern oregon, through snow covered mountains of the cascade range, deep mud in the valley, and finaly the sand dunes of the coast, all in one trip! I also have a winch I would like to install, and a coinsidering building a new front bumper to hold it, but I am concerned about air bag compatibility. Look for pictures in future postings.

Scott Brady

Founder
Congrats on the Trooper purchase. You will not be dissapointed. :D

If you intend to use your Trooper more for exploration, etc. I would recommend you installing the 265/75 R16 as opposed to the 285/75. The 285 will fit without issue, but the Trooper will struggle at highway speed, as there are no gearing alternatives.

I have had the following sizes on my Trooper and like the 265 the best for everyday use and appearance:

235/85
245/75
265/75
285/75

kevin

Observer
Thanks for the tire info, I think I will use the 265/75 r16. The Trooper will be used for expedition and weekend travel, and not for extreme four wheeling, so I do not think I need the larger tire. There are gearing options available to cure the lack of power at freeway speeds. 4x4 mountain sport has 5.38 axle gears. And tera-low has 3.07:1 transfer case gears for non TOD models.

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
Good job!

Hi Kevin, I just got a 2000 Trooper a month ago. I am planning to do put an Old Man Emu lift with 265/75R16 BFG all terrains. I like your new hubs, I will definetelly install a set in my Trooper.
Could you please post more pictures of the vehicle??

datrupr

Expedition Leader
As I am not really well versed in the benefits/drawbacks to the FWD systems, what is the benefit of the manual hubs versus the electronic shift on the fly set up that is currently on my 98 Trooper? I had manual hubs on my Rodeo, but I kinda like not having to get out of the car to lock the hubs in my Trooper. I appreciate any and all input to help me learn and become more versed in such matters. This vehicle mod stuff is new to me, kinda picking up a new hobby to irritate my wife :xxrotflma . Thanks for the help.

Scott Brady

Founder
Manual hubs will give you better fuel economy (no parasitic loss) in the Trooper and save wear and tear on front end parts (because they will not be turning).

In stock form, your Trooper uses a drive flange, which is VERY strong.

So, you would only want to change to hubs is you plan on lifting the front more than 1.5", or if you want to improve MPG (I gained 1-2 mpg with the change).

Hope this helps ;-)

kevin

Observer
Hubs

I installed manual hubs for many reasons. First was better fuel economy. With the stock system, the front wheels are permanently connected to the CV joint (constant velocity Joint), which in turn is connected to the front differential housing. As the front wheels spin they are turning the components that are connected to them. This makes more rolling resistance that the vehicles engine is forced to overcome, this requires more fuel. By installing manual hubs you can disconnect the front wheels from the drivetrain. You may also notice a slight gain in power, because the engine does not have to work as hard. Another advantage is extended life of the front drivetrain, as these parts are no longer constantly spinning they wear much longer. If you decide to convert to manual hubs, save the old parts to keep in you spare parts box. In the rare event of hub failure you can quickly reinstall the old parts to get you back home.

Scott Brady

Founder
Great points Kevin. The manual hub install on the Trooper is very easy (maybe a 20 minute job).

I remember getting mine (superwinch style on a sale table at 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix for about $45! :D

Zaphod

Adventurer
Can those be installed on the stock wheels of an LS?

ETA: Good grief! I can't believe I forgot I had posted here! :mad:

Last edited:

Zaphod

Adventurer
So how many splines does a 2000 Trooper have?

Everywhere I go (and not just for hubs), all the neat stuff for Troopers seems to stop at 1999.

Sheesh!
Bang%20Head.gif-thumb_140_105.gif

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am not sure, but they should be the same as a 98 or 99. And most of the mod stuff says to 99, but there really is not much in terms of change from the 99 to the 00 except primarily the engine. The fixed some of the little idiosynchricies of the previous 3.5 and also gave it a drive by wire system. I don't think much else is different.

Zaphod

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Great points Kevin. The manual hub install on the Trooper is very easy (maybe a 20 minute job).

I remember getting mine (superwinch style on a sale table at 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix for about $45! :D

Any idea what these "Special 26mm snap rings" that are supposedly needed are, or where to get them? :smilies27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles