Transitionial sleeping bag.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
What would be a good bag to get my wife accostom to a smaller more form fitting sleeping bag?

We currently use oversize traditional rectangular bags, lots of chills and drafts.

I have a decent quality mummy I use on solo trips but I think she might find one confining since she isn't used to them.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Sierra Designs makes a line of 3D bags in both down and synthetic that stretch and move with you so they are not confining. Also, I think women-specific bags are important -- they are cut with narrower shoulders, wider hips and a significantly warmer foot box -- i.e. compared to mens bag the foot area would be one temperature grade warmer.

hoser

Explorer
I think you are looking for a "semi-rectangular" sleeping bag. The best thing for her to do is try them on. My gf thought the mummy bags were a little awkward at first... and then she found out how lightweight and warm they were. If you are ever down in the Berkeley area, the North Face Outlet store has some good deals.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If you can, go for the down bags. Even the most exotic synthetic bags have a tendency to feel a tad clammy and stuffy. They also don't last as long and are more prone to developing cold spots over time. Unless you're around lots of moisture (kayaking, rafting, rain forest travel, etc) down rules.

The previous poster was dead on about women's bags- well worth the money. Also realize that all down is not alike. A feather is not just a feather. You want to be aware of "fill power." The higher the number the higher the quality of down. We only use 775 or 800 fill bags because they feel like their just full of warm air. A 600 fill bag can feel like it's full of pokey, sharp, lumpy feathers.

When picking a temperature, realize that a 20 degree bag will allow you to sleep in 20 degree weather but...it's going to suck. My wife and I have at least a dozen bags and we always grab the bag that is 20 degrees colder than the low temps we expect.

Lastly, don't forget to get some nice PJs. Seriously, the duds you wear in a bag are critical to your comfort. Only wear thin technical fabrics like Patagonia Capaline. They serve two purposes. They keep your bare skin (and yukky oils) off of your neat bag. The ding dong that said, "sleep naked" must have owned some oily, stinky bags. Techical long underware also helps transfer your body heat to the bag baffles. If you dress too warmly, your close insulate you and not the fancy bag. A good hat is helpful. I'll kill my tentmate if he has a nicer pillow than me! A good pillow is key. The same is true for some sleepers with sleeping pads.

Sierra Designs, Marmot, Big Agnes and others are my top picks. Get her set up well and she'll be loving it. There's so much more to it than just the shape of the bag.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
This is good stuff.
We already do the hat thing, I learned that lesson a long time ago.
What are good fabrics for long johns, back in the day the prefered choices were silk and wool. I'm sure technology has improved on that a bit.

We forgot pillows, next trip ther WILL be a list, and pillows WILL be in the rig before we leave the driveway.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
For pajamas? I don't think it matters. Capilene is light weight, thin, comfortable and packable enough that I will just leave it in the bag.

While I generally agree with what Flounder is saying, not everyone can, or is willing to, drop $350+ on a sleeping bag and I would rather have a 660 fill down bag than synthetic.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I say anything Big Agnes that uses a rectangular pad. I have two of there bags, a Mystic 15 and a Lost Dog 50 for summer use and I can't say enough about them. I got a Zirkel 20 mummy bagfor Christmas and it was very tight in the chest so I sent it back and switched it out for a Mystic. The extra room in the rectangular bags are very much appreciated. The Mystic is a little on the pricey side at $300 but the very similar Lost Ranger 15 can be had for a C-note less. The main difference being the shell of the bag, one is wind and water proof and the other one isn't. These things are super comfortable, you can toss and turn inside them all you want without slipping off the pad. Think of the more like a bed than a sleeping bag. In a bed you just roll over under the covers, it works the same way in a Big Agnes bag. I just got my Lost Dog this week and will be able to tell you more after this weekend but I am very excited about it. Hopefully all this made sense, I just had the most fantasic sushi dinner with a bottle of my favorite sake and the sake is getting to me!

7wt

Expedition Leader
I almost forgot, BA makes female specific bags. Another cool thing about the BA stuff is they are cut a little larger than most, just as light or lighter due to not really having a bottom and they are comfortable without being a "transition" bag. If you get one for her, you won't have to replace it with a different bag later after she gets used to it. They are loaded with features like a draft tube next to the zipper, a draft yoke that goes around your neck to seal out sneaky cold and the coolest, a built in envelope that you stuff a pillow in so it doesn't squirt around while you sleep. I hope you can tell I like my BA bags.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?id=ra for a down sack.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?id=lu for a synthetic fill.

paulj

Expedition Leader
First, what temperature range are you talking about?

You might try a sleeping bag liner first. We've been using liners for years, in part to keep the sleeping bag cleaner, but also because it reduces drafts and gives flexibility in different temperatures.

An alternative to the usual mummy sleeping bag, at least among light weight backpackers, is a quilt. I often use my sleeping bag in quilt fashion, unzipping it most of the way, and sleeping with it draped over me, with just my feet in the closed foot box. It is easier to change positions with a quilt, rather than a fully enclosing bag. With a good insulating pad under me, I don't actually need the bag's insulation under me.

On a related point. Most mummy sleeping bags are designed for someone who sleeps on their back. Turning can be awkward within the confines of the bag. Either you turn within the bag, and face problems of where to put you face, or you try to turn bag and all.

paulj

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
For pajamas? I don't think it matters. Capilene is light weight, thin, comfortable and packable enough that I will just leave it in the bag.

While I generally agree with what Flounder is saying, not everyone can, or is willing to, drop $350+ on a sleeping bag and I would rather have a 660 fill down bag than synthetic.

Excellent point. Can you tell I used to get my gear on pro-deal? :D

I have a 775 fill bag from Marmot I bought in 1997 with a Dry Loft shell. I used it on several multi-week expeditions as well as countless weekenders. I probably slept 200 nights in it. I had it re-filled for about $200. If you buy a good bag and take care of it properly it can last a loooong time.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
paulj said:
An alternative to the usual mummy sleeping bag, at least among light weight backpackers, is a quilt. I often use my sleeping bag in quilt fashion, unzipping it most of the way, and sleeping with it draped over me, with just my feet in the closed foot box. It is easier to change positions with a quilt, rather than a fully enclosing bag. With a good insulating pad under me, I don't actually need the bag's insulation under me.

Never knew that practice had a name:sunflower. I have a 5 degree synthetic North Face mummy. I almost always use it "quilt" style, It is soo much more comfortable. If it's really cold, I throw on heavy weight poly pro and a watch cap. The foot pocket on a cold mummy works great. Keep your head and feet warm and by default everything else is happy and warm.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
bigreen505 said:
Sierra Designs makes a line of 3D bags in both down and synthetic that stretch and move with you so they are not confining. Also, I think women-specific bags are important -- they are cut with narrower shoulders, wider hips and a significantly warmer foot box -- i.e. compared to mens bag the foot area would be one temperature grade warmer.
My wife has a Sierra Designs bag (I wanna say like the Spark, it's a 15F 800 fill bag), one of the women specific designs. She really likes it and we've had a few different ones, a Marmot, Kelty, TNF. Of them all, best fitting, not as claustrophobic for her and she stays warm.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Flounder said:
Excellent point. Can you tell I used to get my gear on pro-deal? :D

I have a 775 fill bag from Marmot I bought in 1997 with a Dry Loft shell. I used it on several multi-week expeditions as well as countless weekenders. I probably slept 200 nights in it. I had it re-filled for about $200. If you buy a good bag and take care of it properly it can last a loooong time.
So true. I have a Class 5 bag from the early 1980s that I've had refilled once. The shell is starting to show it's age and it needs to be cleaned and filled again, but with care a good bag will last a very long time.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
If it helps generally anything on backcountry.com is pretty decent. I went for the cheapest lafuma bags and they are killer, just had a great week with a 20 bag in Moab all week..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles