Sold my truck!! Now what??

Colorado Ron

Explorer
well, sold the powerstroke yesterday. Thought I would just jump into building a new rig that I had planned, but really having a hard time doing it now that I actually have the cash in my hand!! LOL!! I find myself getting stingy and not wantin to let go of the cash!! Now what do I do??? Decisions, decisions. Should I go all out and build my version of the ultimate expedition rig, or take on the challenge offered to me on overland journey, and build a rig on the cheap--pocketing alot of the money at the same time?? What u guys think??

Colorado Ron

Explorer
haha! Be kinda rough goin down the highway!

Maybe Ill skip an expedition rig and get a Dual Sport motorcycle instead. HMMM. Decisions!

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Well, selfishly, I would love to see you build a rig on the cheap to see what one looks like. We have seen lots of rigs that started reasonably inexpensive, but are not tipping the scales closer to $45,000+.

If you are looking for a good base rig I have a 1990 pathfinder that I'm selling to buy something newer. It is a great rig, but as a daily driver I want something a little cushier. I'm in Denver. :wavey:

Let me know.
Bill

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
If you have mad skills and time you need to build a cheap and reliable rig and buy your wife something nice or take your dream vacation:suning:

Glad you sold your truck! I hope you got close to your asking price too.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I say build on the cheap. A lot of people like the idea and perceived reliability of the new vehicle purchase. I don't have enough time off from the rat race, but if I were to go really explore, my expedition vehicle build would be a FJ60 landcruiser stripped to the bones, nothing but functionality. I'd remove all the `computers' and emissions equipment (to the extend that I could still register it), put in a non-US carburetor and manually-dialable (for fuel qualtiy rating) distributor, a PTO winch with mild lift & 235/85r16s (easily found elsewhere). It'd also be quite cool to make a high-roof system for it too.

This you could build on the cheap. Doubt that kind of thing interests most people, but it would be the most functional & reliable vehicle that I believe can be reasonably sourced. (A diesel BJ60 would be better, but they're hard to find) It'd never be a Mog but I can't imagine Mog parts being that easy to find in the Americas.

Speaking of diesel BJ60s, if you ever wanted to go down that LC route, my brother in Durango has a US clean registered BJ60 for sale :)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
What I listed should be pushing the $5k range, but would include very uber-cool expedition features. The original challenge included locker, and that is pretty $. Also, I don't know a gasser 4x4 with simple mods that can push 300 miles without a long range tank.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I think you should build a "reasonably priced" vehicle. Sure, we would all love to have a uber-reliable $5K exped rig.....but lets be realistic. How about a full size version of Bajataco's taco? More in the lines of a $20K rig that isn't so cumbersome as to lend it a pain in the ass for "street" use. Obviously, with a $20K price tag, it would not be a new vehicle.....but say $10K for a good reliable 3/4 ton truck, and $10K worth of modification to make it a little friendlier to live out of.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
If it's just a project to keep you occupied until the next one comes along, I'd go with a budget-builder outfit. If you decide on the perfect vehicle for you and you could see yourself keeping it till the wheels fall off, I'd say do it up right.

I would be a little leary of taking a budget outfit on too big or long of an expedition. For instance, I have a low buck '85 Toyota pick up that I would take on any trail in this state. But when the opportunity came up to travel to Arizona & Utah, for a 12 day trip, I took the more comfortable, reliable, and properly equipped T100. The '85 is fun to knock around in and could have handled the trails in UT & AZ just fine, but the highway miles to get there would have been brutal. Comfort, when you're miles from all that is familiar, is a huge mental boost.

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with either way. I hope it's something unique, that's my vote!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I say get a flat bed mog and build that. Big, cool, go anywhere, and relatively in expensive. Parts are available on every continent and you could take it to iceland for your trip.

Or I would build a Junk yard dog. That would be fun. Scavenging Junkyards for decent parts and building a mut is fun stuff. I have done a few hotrods that way, when I was younger and broke. Make fome fun rides really cheap. plus I never lost any money when I sold them LOL!

Maybe an old full size pick up or military power wagon. Drop in a solid motor and trans. Even more fun get a 4x4 chassis like a jimmy or explorer drop a mini van body on it. Deck it out with armour. lot's of functioal storage and easy to find drivetrain parts. Just a thought. The possabilities are endless.

Westy

Adventurer
Tundra?

Tundra, you could pick up a nice used 2001 Tundra, extra cab w/ v8 for a reasonable price.

Lots of storage space, plenty of cab space, optional v8 power, toyota reliability and new enough to be comfortable for longer excursions. Put a Dana 44 or 60 under the front end for strength, maybe you could fit an FJ80 front axle as well if its wide enough?
Possible downfall could be its length, but you could bob the bed 10-12 inches to help with that.
Nice tundra:
DSC00536.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste