Outlandish Tacoma Idea of the day: Service bed + Flip-Pac

irish_11

Explorer
Ok, so bear with me here. I am at work and this has been going around in my head for awhile, but I'm looking sometime this winter to pick up a flip-pac for my Tacoma (1st gen). While looking at photos and dreaming the idea poped into my head a few weeks back about a service/utility bed with a flip-pac on top. This would allow for the storage of all my tools, camping gear, other items combined with the flip-pac on top I think it would be a pretty sweet setup. Sure, I would lose the ability to run to home depot with it and fill the bed with stuff, but this is a dream so I am ignoring that.

Has anyone put a service bed on a Tacoma? I haven't been able to find on, let alone a service bed/ flip-pac combo. I am wondering first, if anyone makes one. Second, how does the Tacoma's suspension have to be modified to handle the increased load. Third, how crazy am I for thinking of something like this? (Isnt that part of what communities like this are for though?)

What are everyone's thoughts on something like this? I know its a bit out there, but with all the UTE bed talk I thought I would spring this idea too.

RR1

Explorer
First you're not crazy...

Service bed is going to be quite heavy unless it is made out of aluminum, fiberglass, or composite. Though service beds do exist that size, going to be hard to find (there is a guy running around here with on on his Toyota, the model before the tacoma...I can never remember the number generation though)

Might be better off build a flat bed with tool boxes, with the flip pac on top of the boxes, could do under the bed boxes as well...maybe the toolboxes/flip pac are on a platform with jacks, so you can remove it to use the bed if needed.

10-toolbox.gif

alloytray3.jpg

Last edited:

irish_11

Explorer
I figured there would be a challenge finding one in that size that does not weight a ton. I like the build a flat bed idea. I considered looking for a ranger service bed since they seem far more avaliable and see what it would take to modify the mounting setup.

RR1

Explorer
Composite service bodies are out there...very rare though.

nA_640.jpg

Service body campers have been done before, just $$$...

2307487740093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Might also want to check and see if a service bed is rugged enough for off-road use. It can be quite heavy and bouncing around/twisting could cause parts of the bed to come loose and/or break.

ethernectar

Adventurer
I think a service bed would make an excellent foundation. Maximized storage/organization space.

You would probably want to upgrade the rear springs, but no more than you would if you went with a full cab-over camper.

Add a flip-pac, autohome or any other RTT and you're on the way. A flip-pac would be pretty sweet though.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I think a service bed would make an excellent foundation. Maximized storage/organization space.

You would probably want to upgrade the rear springs, but no more than you would if you went with a full cab-over camper.

Add a flip-pac, autohome or any other RTT and you're on the way. A flip-pac would be pretty sweet though.

x2 I think it's a cool idea. I've seen all gens of Tacomas around SoCal with service beds (not sure if they were aluminum or steel) but they were all on 2WD chassis. I'm 90% sure they would bolt right up. A few issues other than finding one at a decent price would be insulation (single wall metal gets real hot or cold depending) and can have major condensation issues and dust/water ingress with a shell as I doubt service beds are made to be weather tight with a shell on.

Cool project though, I say go for it!

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Alot of service bed companies are making the doors out of aluminum now, which saves a little weight, but not much.

A few things to think about, when you add more storage space, if you don't really need it, then you tend to pack more stuff that you really don't need. That would be a concern for me with a light duty truck, I have a service bed and pop-up on my 3/4 ton dodge and find myself overloading.

Another situation that you might run into, is the Flip-Pacs are made to go onto factory bed rails, and most service beds manufactured are straight up and become wider than the cab and factory bed rail dimensions. The fit of the 2 might look a little funny.

If you're not worried about that, then I say go for it. I dig the FlipPacs and service beds are great for all your camp cooking storage.

haulindave

Observer
Service bed and Flip-Pac

I too think it would be a great build . I like the idea of have the storage on the out side so you don't have to carry it all in the truck bed ? It would make it alot easier to camp with out having to removing things from inside the truck bed ? You could keep all you cooking stuff in the service bins outside ? Almost all your stuff could be keep outside in the bins ? Just keep your bed stuff and clothes , fridge , float tube , in the truck bed Ha-ha :smiley_drive:

I am always looking at a better way to carry stuff and cut down on having so much stuff in the back that I have to remove just to camp for the night ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles