Locker Talk............

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

How about a place for some Locker Talk?

I found this video over at YotaTech which gives perfect examples of why we need them!

Totally tricked out rigs that are stopped by the most simple off camber spots!

Any input?

What works for you?

Feel free to share other videos you have....or find.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I happen to be a fan of the ARB Air Lockers... ;)

Best of both worlds, open when you want it (road, ice, etc), and locked in the rocks, mud, etc...

Somewhat depends on your application, OEM options exist in some cases and can be extremely reliable solutions...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Selectable lockers are simply the best of both worlds. The price also reflects it. Anyone priced a ARB lately? Then add in the cost of a compressor, plumbing, install, and install kit...yikes! I like the E-lockers toyota is using, and have yet to form an opinion of the e-lockers being developed (in part) by GM and Eaton. They may turn out to be a good option as well. For a street driven vehicle, I would strongly suggest a selectable locker. No need to compromise your driving comfort to get a locker...you can have both!

My jeep has air lockers at both ends, as provided by Daimler/Chrysler. The rear has a limited slip mechanism integrated into it (as in, either limited slip or completely locked). Very smooth in operation on/off the road, only uses 6psi to operate (as opposed to ARB's 80psi), which gives you very quiet operation of the compressors, and less chance of leaks because of the low pressure. The downside is that sometimes it takes a few seconds to lock or unlock.

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Frankly, I only watched the video once, but it looked like they had not aired down to me. And I wonder if they were in high range as well. If you don't air down you have to expect some traction problems, but thats a choice you make. It certainly did not look difficult.
All this speculation aside, lockers are great, of course.
BX

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

BajaXplorer said:
Frankly, I only watched the video once, but it looked like they had not aired down to me. And I wonder if they were in high range as well. If you don't air down you have to expect some traction problems, but thats a choice you make. It certainly did not look difficult.
All this speculation aside, lockers are great, of course.
BX

It looked to me like the very first black 4Runner has no lockers. Because when he came to the first obsticle he started the "wheel hop" as front and rear went off camber. I get this exact wheel hop with my 4Runner when off camber.....but I do pretty good being creative and just picking another line real fast.

My opinion is that if he even had just a rear locker, he would have crawled right up even if he had a front wheel in the air......but I've never driven a 4x4 with a locker so what the heck do I know!

Hence.......the "Locker Talk"...!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

goodtimes said:
Selectable lockers are simply the best of both worlds. The price also reflects it. Anyone priced a ARB lately? Then add in the cost of a compressor, plumbing, install, and install kit...yikes! I like the E-lockers toyota is using, and have yet to form an opinion of the e-lockers being developed (in part) by GM and Eaton. They may turn out to be a good option as well. For a street driven vehicle, I would strongly suggest a selectable locker. No need to compromise your driving comfort to get a locker...you can have both!

My jeep has air lockers at both ends, as provided by Daimler/Chrysler. The rear has a limited slip mechanism integrated into it (as in, either limited slip or completely locked). Very smooth in operation on/off the road, only uses 6psi to operate (as opposed to ARB's 80psi), which gives you very quiet operation of the compressors, and less chance of leaks because of the low pressure. The downside is that sometimes it takes a few seconds to lock or unlock.

That's exactly the problem I'm having "GoodTimes"............I wouldn't want the ARB install to cost half the value of my entire truck!:rolleyes:

So my plan is to find a used Toyota Tacoma rear 3rd member with electric locker and have it fitted to my truck. $200 to $300 parts.......$200 to $300 labor...?

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
SW,
I do have the rear e-locker in my Tacoma and it has made a big difference at times. Your plan to swap out a diff sounds good. There have been so many Tacomas produced in the 4x4 and prerunner now for a number of years so locating one should become easier as vehicles head for the wrecking yards.
My point on the air is that many times it is traction acquired from lower psi that get you through even without a locker. A bouncing wheel can be an indication of too much air, less traction, so that tire (the one with the least amount of traction on that axle) keeps breaking loose.
If I hear of any locked axles, I'll keep you in mind.
BX

S

Scenic WonderRunner

BX.....

Thanks for keeping a look out for an elock 3rd.

I agree with you about tire pressure.............although no amount of lower tire pressure can compensate for loss of traction :smilies27 with an open differential with a wheel in the air.

The wheel in the air will spin..........and the wheel on the ground that really needs to move and have traction, will just sit there.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I have manual HUBS..........

What are the pro's and con's of putting a "Lunch Box" locker like the "Aussie" on my front end?

With the manual hubs..........my front locker then would only engage at the wheels while hubs are locked while I'm off road.

Justin

Observer
The rear locker has become a benchmark that in my opinion, Toyota set for the compact/midsize truck market...(unless I can be proven wrong). Though many owners of the TRD package will never really find themselves in situations needing the locker (aside from the forum members here), it's good to know it's there just in case. Often times I intentionally try to pick lines that require the locker just to experience the benifit of owning one.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Justin.....

I know I want a rear locker....and hope to go with a TRD electric rear third.

I'm trying to figure out a solution for my front (so I have all 4 wheels locked) without breaking the bank. That's why I asked the question in the above post.

So...........can a "lunch box" locker be put up front in a 1st gen 4Runner with manual hubs.........without totally messing up things?

I know selectable is always the most desired.......but will this work? The Aussie would only engage the wheels when I lock the hubs.....right? Is this a bad idea?

Justin

Observer
Though I am not familiar with the "Lunch Box" locker, in my opinion I wouldn't mind if when I engaged my manual hubs the front diff was locked... that is if I owned a truck with manual locking hubs... I suppose it comes down to the cost as you mentioned.

Correct me if I a wrong, but one downfall could possibly be increased turning difficulty?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Justin said:
Correct me if I a wrong, but one downfall could possibly be increased turning difficulty?

I think that is correct. But isn't that true for any kind of locker one puts up front? I'm just looking for a reasonable cost alternative to the ARB, so I don't have to spend thousands!

Here is a link for the "Aussie Locker".

Aussie Locker details and info page

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I sent an email to "Aussie Locker" today regarding.....putting an Aussie up front.

Here is their reply............

<<<Thank you for considering the Aussie Locker for your 4Runner.

We sell a lot of XD27527 Aussie Lockers for the front IFS diff in 4Runners. The benefit is that a front locker has minimal impact on highway driving but when you put it into 4WD and lock your hubs you have an incredible improvement in traction performance.

As to the con's, we do not recommend driving in 4WD with a front locker on an icy highway. If you have manual hubs you can run one wheel "free" and the other "locked" for better handling. Also in some instances you may find that the wheel will want to center but most customers find this occassional mode acceptable due to the traction enhancement they get with the Aussie Locker.

The XD27527 is in stock for next business day shipment.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.>>>

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I think that is correct. But isn't that true for any kind of locker one puts up front? I'm just looking for a reasonable cost alternative to the ARB, so I don't have to spend thousands...

Not the locker you are tying to find an alternative for... with the ARB, you simply turn it off when you need to turn, lock it back up when you need the traction. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier