Time to re-visit this fascinating hardside popup design with slide out sleeping
area from the Australian maker, Highrise. It's available as a caravan, or as
the tray top unit shown here.

highrise-2.png

highrisetraytop2.jpg

The slide-on dimensions are
Overall length 2180mm (85 inches)
Overall width 1850mm (73 inches)
Height 2300mm (90 inches) (depends on the height of ute tray/flatbed)
Departure Angle 30 Degrees
Weight 580 kg (1280 lbs)

The trailer version is longer and a little wider, providing enough room for
an interior shower.

Highrise is located in New Gisborne, Victoria, northwest of Melbourne.
For details see http://www.highrise.com.au/

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Great. I remember it from a while back. It's trick.

But am I correct in thinking this is yet another piece of Australian unobtainium that would be difficult to impossible to purchase? :(

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Heavy, and expensive! $30,000 (AU) plus options.

Is that something we can really call "expensive" though?

I mean, yeah, it is not cheap, but if you put this thing on a Brand New Mog you would have a pretty well go anywhere vehicle for as little as $140K USD plus taxes. I mean, what with all of the people out there talking about making up their own concepts, this certainly seems like a really nice start, for a really great price.

(that is, of course, if you are willing to go with something that small, but some obviously are.)

Now consider putting that on a toyota as seen in the photos and you can drop the price under $100K. That is pretty darn nice.

Now, in fairness, I have mentioned in another thread, that I personally do not like the sides that you have to set up individually, (too many down sides for me) but if you are willing to put up with that, well this is a nice way to go.

Mhiscox, I have to ask...

You mentioned that it might be unobtainable due to the location being Aus. Would it really be THAT big of a deal for someone who is looking to do an extremely long overland trip to commission one, then ship the truck down there, have them install the thing, and begin your journey directly from Aus?

Cheers
Brian

haven

Expedition Leader
Cost to ship a 20 foot container from Australia to Long Beach is about $3000, per Welby Davidson, owner of the Australian tray-top camper maker, Innovan. That should be enough room for two Hightop campers, so find a partner and split the cost.

If you're concerned about Australia-specific fittings like the LPG and the 240V shore power, you might ship the USA parts to Hightop. Or you could ask to purchase the unit without these parts installed, and have an RV shop in USA complete the task.

I like the idea of flying to Australia, purchasing the caravan version, renting a Land Cruiser to tow it, and then heading out for an extended vacation. When the trip is over, then just ship the caravan back to USA in a container.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Is that something we can really call "expensive" though?

I mean, yeah, it is not cheap, but if you put this thing on a Brand New Mog you would have a pretty well go anywhere vehicle for as little as $140K USD plus taxes. I mean, what with all of the people out there talking about making up their own concepts, this certainly seems like a really nice start, for a really great price.

(that is, of course, if you are willing to go with something that small, but some obviously are.)

Now consider putting that on a toyota as seen in the photos and you can drop the price under $100K. That is pretty darn nice.

Now, in fairness, I have mentioned in another thread, that I personally do not like the sides that you have to set up individually, (too many down sides for me) but if you are willing to put up with that, well this is a nice way to go.

I understand your point. I was just thinking in terms of a smaller pop-up for the back of a lighter weight Tacoma it is pricey, say compared to a Four-Wheel Camper. Is it a big enough camper to put on the back of a Mog? Of course, most of the time you get what you pay for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles