The ultimate expedition vehicle

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Ok, if money was no object and you could buy any vehicle new/used or combine any body, motor, tranny, t-case into your ultimate expedition vehicle, what would you buy/build? I'm talking walking into your favorite Freightliner dealer and picking up a brand new Mog, or Hummer dealer and buying an H1 with the Duramax/Allison combo to picking up an older vehicle and making it what the factory should have built just for you. And no, I'm not in the "money is no object" category, I just thought it would be interesting to see what people could/would build with an unlimited budget. Discuss.:clapsmile

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
A mog camper, a well-equipped 110 or crew, or a MINI Cooper S (probably R56 at this point) for solo on-pavement touring (does that count?). I am, however, perfectly content with my current Jeep Cherokee. :)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I would really like to have a rig that started life something like this:

pic23b.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Great Thread...

Wow, what a great topic...

My initial reaction is of course a big Mog with sweet camper and lots of amenities, but it depends on where we are traveling. Africa, that is probably a perfect set-up (or to Alaska), but that big of a vehicle would not have fit on some of the tracks in the Sierra Madre, or the Naranja Road we just travelled in Baja.

So, I guess I am very happy with what I have. Road comfort and speed, slow speed capability, economy and just enough comfort.

If I was willing to give up some speed on corrugated roads and a little bit of technical terrain, I would buy the Sportsmobile Diesel:
UAV_05.jpg

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yeah, Mogs are just so choice! But even if I had the $ would I do that? I dunno... the thing seems ripe for theft/damage and many of my Utah trails it'd be tough to get 'em through.

This sounds quite the `norm' if I were to have all the money, but I would probably have an early 80 series LC with a brand-new Toyota 1HZ diesel engine in it, 5spd, long range fuel & water tanks, and PTO winch. I'd cut the roof off it and get a high-roof or pop-up fabbed to it. I honestly can't think of a better and reasonable expedition rig.

Scott Brady

Founder
The one Brian posted is one of my all time favorite Mogs.

But, the size/profile is just asking for a problem. Even getting one through some of the old colonial towns in Mexico would be a challenge. Low hanging wires, narrow/cobblestone streets, etc. Sometimes even my truck feels too big...

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I'll take one of those HZJ105-based German camper conversions that are so popular among overlanders in North Africa, decked out with all the options.

Pskhaat

60seriesguy said:
I'll take one of those HZJ105-based German camper conversions that are so popular among overlanders in North Africa, decked out with all the options.

Got any links/pics? :)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Some great ideas. That is always the problem, compromise. What is too big, too small, enough power, enough room for everything, do you need everything? Like most on here, it would truely be a tough choice. I am in agreement that something in the 80 series size fits the best, but in my dream, I would probably want to change a few things.

I would love to go to Venezuala and get all of the parts to convert a fzj to a 5sp/part-time case and probably give the 4.5 a good once over, de-luxury it and give it hell. Or pick up a 91-92 FJ80, convert it to a 5sp and seriously debate whether to do a Turbo diesel or small block chevy. Keep the overall look pretty low key. I know everyone on the planet seems to hate the 6.2 GM diesel, but there are some companies out there that can build one extremely solid, put the Banks turbo on it, hook it up to a nv4500/part-time case, swap in a fzj full floating rear axle, rhino line the interior, ARB's, basic armour, dual tanks, roof rack tent, etc.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Did any factory ever make a camper topper for a 1st Generation 4Runner?

Pskhaat

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of a Troopy, so I must restate 80 -> 70 series troopy, droooool......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne