Massive clearance sale at REI.com going on now

asteffes

Explorer
REI is having their big winter clearance sale. Check it out if you need to buy any gear for trips this spring. :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I have nothing against those that share beleifs with REI & their stance towards motorized recreation, but some might want to investigate that prior to spending money there. Just my 2 cents... ;)

As for me, they won't every see a dime! :wavey:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am with you Kurt, but they do have some pretty nice stuff there. I will just get it from other places besides REI.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
datrupr said:
I am wiht you Kurt, but they do have some pretty nice stuff there. I will just get from other places besides REI.

Agreed, they do have some very high-quality goods and decent prices. But the fact they are major financial contributors to groups that are 100% against motorized recreation, keeps them off my shopping list.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Just picked up some climbing rope there last week and it was cheaper than I thought it would be. Their apparel is too expensive for me though.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
I have nothing against those that share beleifs with REI & their stance towards motorized recreation, but some might want to investigate that prior to spending money there. Just my 2 cents... ;)

As for me, they won't every see a dime! :wavey:

I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't stepped foot in an REI in over 8 years. In San Diego and Socal, I shop at Adventure 16 instead.

BMAN

Adventurer
I had always suspected shenanigans from REI but had never really heard anything until now. I do not however, shop there. Too damned pricey for my blood.

For those valley of the sun residents looking for an alternative, I will highley reccomend The Sportsmans Warehouse. This place is much like heaven on earth. There is a store located at Greenfield south of the 60 west of the Wally World.

Any place with an 8 foot tall and 40 foot long rack of fishin worms is OK in my book.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
BMAN, I also love Sportsmans, there is one near my house off of I-17 & Yorkshire next door to Costco, also one of my favoite places:victory:

brittan

Adventurer
I just discovered the sportsman...Popular was my REI replacement...glad the sportsman is there to fill the void.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I used to give REI Lots of my money, and like many of you, I found out about where that money ends up....so I stopped. Fortunately, not long after I stopped shopping there, I moved to Tucson, home of Summit Hut.

blupaddler

Conspirator
I know I have heard about their views before. But, can anyone direct me to where I can read their views in print. I am assuming they are along the same lines as the Sierra Club.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I've been doing some research and here is what I have found so far. REI supports organizations that support Wilderness. Link from REI's website.

Now, I think "wilderness" is a good thing and areas that qualify under the rules of the 1964 Wilderness Act should be proposed for the designation. I can't find anywhere where areas that already have roads are being proposed for Wilderness. I'm sure some more extreme environmental groups are trying to do that though. I would not support that. I think the customer base at REI in general would favor the wilderness designation for an area if the area qualified under the act.

Now, seems not all environmental groups like REI. I just read where many groups picketed REI. Link to that article. Supposedly REI was playing both sides of the fence to make a buck. Hmmm.

I know the roadless initiative, also called the roadless area conservation rule, is a contentious issue for OHV enthusiasts. While reading up on that I found that The Forest Service held over 600 public meetings and hearings on each National Forest and in each Forest Service region and received a record-breaking 1.7 million official comments: five times more comments than in any other federal rulemaking process. More than 95% of these comments supported the strongest possible protection for all of our nation's remaining roadless areas. That was interesting to me.

I can't find any official REI statement that supports the roadless initiative, but the earlier link is close enough.

Speaking for myself only, I want areas that are roadless to stay roadless. We have enough roads. Just my opinion and many share that opinion. I respect opposing views as well, but with the huge public participation in the roadless area conservation rule stated above, seems the public as a whole wants roadless areas to stay roadless too.

Bush repealed this anyway in 05, so it is a moot point really.

I spend my money at both REI and Sportsman's Warehouse and will probably continue to do so. I'd be interested to hear of these smaller shops you guys are shopping at are not supporting the same thing REI does.

Interesting thread.

Last edited:

asteffes

Explorer
I agree with the sentiment that roadless areas should stay that way, and that we have plenty of roads and trails as long as we can maintain them and hold onto them. Cars, motorbikes and snowmobiles do not belong everywhere just because they have the capability to go there. I like the work that REI does to educate customers about caring for the environment in a sensible way. They offer classes to help people get out there - many free of charge - and encourage people to explore the backcountry in a responsible manner. I think that's valuable.

I didn't intend to spark a large debate about the merits and flaws of REI, and since this seems to happen anytime REI is mentioned I'll not bring up the subject from here on out. No big deal.

UncleChris

Adventurer
asteffes said:
I didn't intend to spark a large debate about the merits and flaws of REI, and since this seems to happen anytime REI is mentioned I'll not bring up the subject from here on out. No big deal.

Actually Adam it is interesting to see what information everyone has about REI.

I do know that all of the things that I get from them(I am a member) has made me not buy anything from them for quite some time. BUT much of that is because as far as camping gear goes, I am pretty well equipped with stuff left over from my sierra days.

I do know that my impression of REI is that it is kissing up to the Sierra club crowd. I also know that 99% of the people buying stuff from them do the proverbial drive up Mt Washington.

I think that the greens overly radical stance on may things is coming back to haunt them. I noticed in the latest BRC(Blue Ribbon Coalition) magazine there is an article reprinted from MtnBikeAction magazine, which I canceled my subscription to after they started siding with the many non-mechanized groups out there. I think that MBA came to realize that the backpackers are trying to make everything off-limits, including Mtn Bikes so they have started working with the BRC.

It is kind of difficult because many of these companies are trying to portray an image and deliver an experience through their Marketing. Most people would prefer to buy their gear from the hardcore(myself included). If there was an outdoor clothing store that catered to ORV drivers, I don't think it would get much business, BUT if someone walks the Appalachian trail wearing a Patagonia TShirt, well that clothing is hard core enough for me! If I buy one, I could walk the appalachian trail too!

Anyhow, we stopped at Cabela's while driving through Nebraska. It seemed like a pretty cool place, down to earth people and a clientele of people that use their 4wds for work, play,etc. I tried on one of their winter jackets, and although it was nice enough and Gore-Tex, I was not my North Face Mtn Jacket. All the stuffed moose, elk, mountain goats, mountain lions are pretty cool(It is very much a hunting and fishing place.)

From my perspective, being a backpacker, Mtn Biker, 4 wheeler, car camper....etc. I keep coming up with the 'Why can't we all just get along' then we run into Mtn Bikers that almost run me off the trail while Mtn Biking (very limited incidents yes but incidents that stick in peoples minds) and we can see both sides.

So there are lots of rumors and a lot of hearsay along with jumping on bandwagons. It is important that these kind of topics be discussed so that everyone can be exposed to the information and be able to make their own decisions.

Now that being said, it seems like every sport I have participated in the last few years has people trying to make everything political. I am still unsure whether that is just irritating or necessary.

Maybe it is irritating that it is necessary.

my 2cents(where's the 2 cents icon?)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
asteffes said:

I think discussion of subjects such as this are vital to the continued enjoyment of our recreational activities. We, as a group of OHV entheusiasts cannot be apathetic in support of our access rights. We should each learn where our money is going, so we can support the orginizations that support views that are aligned with our own....no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

Meaningful debate over land access issues will do no harm, but only good. We all need to understand where we stand, where the *other guy* stands, and what obstacles are between us. I'd be willing to bet a large number of "greenies" would not oppose us (as a group) so violently if they realized what our intentions really are. We (as a group) have the image of being a bunch of illeterate red-necks who want to be able to drive where ever the hell we want, enviroment be damned. We all know this is definately not true for most of us. As pointed out above, may of us are against new roads and trails. Personally, I think there are too many roads already, and under only very specific circumstances should new roads be constructed.

But if we never discuss issues such as this one (remember, we are talking about REI and the groups that they support), we will never learn where the other guy is standing. We won't learn about what these businesses are doing with the money they earn....so we will be blindly supporting people who may very well be working against us (with regards to access rights). That just isn't good. As long as the conversations and debates stay civil, I think they are a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles