Pda Gps

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Anyone using PDA GPS setup?

I am using my Dell Axim X30 with a Rikaline bluetooth GPS.
dellBT.jpg

r5.jpg

It is a nice set up since I can also use it with my LapTop. I was wondering what programs you use if any.

I went with the PDA option since I can also use it while flying, using PocketFMS, and the mobility, and use during hiking, ect... And am running OnCourse Navigator, I like the tracking option that allows me to upload all data to my computer, and I can place an overlay on Google Earth (previously KeyHole) and replay my trip ontop of a satelite image.

I have a powered mount w/ integrated speaker for the voice guidance features, that mounts to the windscreen.
haicomMountAx200.gif

Just looking to see if anyone uses anything similar and what you use.

Scott Brady

Founder
Will,

Very interesting... I have seen a unit used by a friend of many on this board (Jack) who had topo maps running on the handheld. I was impressed.

My concern was the screen size, and the amount of real detail you could display at a given resolution (map resolution, not screen).

Is this something you had experience with from your avionics training?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
Will,

Very interesting... I have seen a unit used by a friend of many on this board (Jack) who had topo maps running on the handheld. I was impressed.

My concern was the screen size, and the amount of real detail you could display at a given resolution (map resolution, not screen).

Is this something you had experience with from your avionics training?

No I just needed something that would be versitle and I could use flying, playing and driving.... Basically the possibilities are endless with the PDA, and i keep tweeking the GPS reciever to be more accurate. I think I got it pretty close to right on as I can get with out having an illegal Military GPS reciever.

I love it flying, and it can over lay weather information and what not, through the bluetooth using my cell. I have yet to figure out how to get it to overlay on my driving maps, the user manual says it can be done, but i haven't had time to play with it enough.

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
No I just needed something that would be versitle and I could use flying, playing and driving.... Basically the possibilities are endless with the PDA, and i keep tweeking the GPS reciever to be more accurate. I think I got it pretty close to right on as I can get with out having an illegal Military GPS reciever.

I love it flying, and it can over lay weather information and what not, through the bluetooth using my cell. I have yet to figure out how to get it to overlay on my driving maps, the user manual says it can be done, but i haven't had time to play with it enough.

I look forward to seeing this in person. Hopefully you can make the Nov. rally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles