Table Mesa Rd.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I was thinking on getting out for a day trip this weekend, maybe the Table Mesa Rd. area. I know there are some good trails in that area. I am thinking nothing to difficult, maybe a no harder than a 2.5. I have been cooped up in the house taking care of honey-do's for to many consecutive weekends. If anyone knows of any trails in this area or wanna tag along let me know. I am planning on going out on Saturday. :luxhello:

Scott Brady

Founder
There is a great trail that heads east from the Table Mesa road exit, and ends up in North Scottsdale. Very scenic. It is in the Massey and Wilson Backcountry book.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scott, I am thinking of trying to get to Tip Top if the river is not too bad. I have never been up there and I like exploring inthe ghost towns and mines. If it is flowing pretty strong I will see about going from Table Mesa Rd. to Seven Springs (if the road is re-opened after the fire) then down into Carefree and Scottsdale, on home. If not, I will make it up as I go along. Or if anybody wants to come along and has any ideas they are more than welcome. Even if they don't have any ideas they are more than welcome to come along. :arabia:

articulate

Expedition Leader
datrupr said:
Thanks Scott, I am thinking of trying to get to Tip Top if the river is not too bad. I have never been up there and I like exploring inthe ghost towns and mines. If it is flowing pretty strong I will see about going from Table Mesa Rd. to Seven Springs (if the road is re-opened after the fire) then down into Carefree and Scottsdale, on home. If not, I will make it up as I go along. Or if anybody wants to come along and has any ideas they are more than welcome. Even if they don't have any ideas they are more than welcome to come along. :arabia:
Hmmm....you know what, I was thinking that tomorrow would be a super opportunity to hit a trail. And here you are with this post. Could be the muses again. :elkgrin: I consider myself a non-threat to children and I play well with others. I'd be happy to join you. What time are you thinking of heading out?

Hmph. I'm giddy with glee, now.

Mark

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark,
Not sure yet of what time, maybe late morning, have lunch at Tip Top, explore a bit, and then head home in the late afternoon. Email me at apearson_ootw@yahoo.com and we can discuss this a bit more, or PM me. It would be good to have another vehicle on this adventure. :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• 4169.jpg
    4169.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 4170.jpg
    4170.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 4171.jpg
    4171.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 4173.jpg
    4173.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
All right! If this smiley means something positive, then here you go: :shakin:

I sent you an email....

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

• 28534209.jpg
    28534209.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN2070.JPG
    DSCN2070.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 3

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, This trip has now been completed so it can be moved to the completed expeditions thread. It has been a very excellent and fun day with a good trip report to post. I am now going to carry myself off to bed, so I will post the report and a few pics tomorrow.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, the trip invite I postd on Friday did indeed happen, and it was a great adventure and day trip.

The Players:
Myself in my 98 Trooper (stock), my wife Colette in her 00 Grand Vitara (stock), Mark (articulate) in his 02 Jeep Wrangler (nicely modified), and Allen (FLYWGN), his wife Diana, and Scooter in thier Nissan X-terra (stock). Sorry Allen, I don't know the year of your X. Also in attendance were my son Matt and daughter Ellesha.

We couldn't have asked for a nicer day to do this trip, it was just beautiful, very few high cluods and I don't think the temp got above 95.

We all hooked up on the east side of I-17 on Table Mesa Rd. and did our introductions since none of had met before (with of course the exception of my wife and I, we've known each other for a while now). After a little ******** chat, gear set up, radio checks and airing down we were off. Since I organized the outing I was elected leader, which was a pretty brave decision made by the group as I had no idea on how to get where we were going except some simple directions and GPS coordinates.

The trail started out very peaceful, not a lot of other vehicles and fairly well graded which helped to keep the pace going fairly well. After a couple of miles on the graded track we came across the first obstical, the Agua Fria River. I had a report that this was flowing swiftly and very high just a couple of weeks ago, but when we arrived it was barely flowing and was only about 15 yards wide and maybe 18" deep at it's deepest point. The crossings were no trouble as the botton of the river is more gravel than mud and rocks. After the river crossing the trail got a little more rough and rocky, but still no trouble at all for any of the vehicles.

Trip leaders first blunder:
I believe that I misunderstood the directions to get to the first ghost town of Gilette, and I missed our turn :smilies27 I did not realize this until we were about a mile past the turn though. We stopped and decided to look through some of the books that Allan had brought with him to see if we were maybe on the right track or if we need to turn around. At about that time some nice passersby stopped and gave us more directions on how to get to our final destination of Tip Top. We decided to pass on Gilette and continue on.

Trip leaders second blunder:
I zigged when I should have zagged :eek: Misunderstanding our passersby directions , but confused by my own directions I again led us the wrong way up the trail and got us to a locked gate. O.K. everybody, lets turn around and go back and zag where we should have in the first place.

Now, going on the track that is now believed to be the correct one it does get quite a bit rockier and narrower. But still a good time with just enough challenge to make it fun. following this trail leads to some spectacular views of the area and then down into a small canyon formed by Cottonwood Creek. Once we got to the bottom the group decided to inform the leader that they were all hungry and could go no further with out some sustanance :eatchicke I, too, was famished, and this decision was made primarily by the trip leaders better half telling him to stop somewhere, anywhere, so she can eat or face the cosequences later when we are back in the privacy when we get home

After a very nice relaxing lunch in a partially shaded area with some nice ******** chat the group decided to try and make it to Tip Top. We figured we were only a couple of miles from it and should be there shortly. We headed out and crossed the creek where I thought we were supposed to. The crossing was simple because there was no water in the creek, but a little bumpy because the creek bottom is primarily larger rocks, but it was fun . Across the creek the trail became decidedly more difficult, but still not quite a 2.5 on a 5 scale, in my opinion anyway. We came across one challenging obstical though and I had to get out and inspect. After conferring with Allen and Mark it was decided that it should not be to difficult with some spotting. On we go. After the excellent spotting by Mark we all got over the obstical and carried on. After what seemed like quite a long time I stopped to survey our situation, "where in the world is this place" is all I was thinking, that and possibly we are going in the wrong direction entirley. I was convincedby others in the group that we should push on just a bit further up the road, because we have not yet traveled the distance stated in our directions.

Pushing on nettted our reward. Up the road just a bit we started seeing remenants of what was once a mining town, and the buildings were in the places the directions said they would be in. WE FOUND IT!!!!! or should that be WE MADE IT!!!!, either way, we reached our primary objective, Tip Top. We spent some time exploring and taking some pictures and decided to head back for civilization. All in all I had a great time, my wife I learned can handle herself off road, and her Suzuki is far more capable off road than I had thought it to be. I think this trip is going to help her get the exploring/OHV bug. Attached are just a few of the 70+ pictures taken from my camera. I know Mark has a few good ones as well that I hope he will share with us on this post.

I still have to take another trip up there to find Gilette. Anyone want to come?

Attachments

• Beautiful Vista.jpg
    Beautiful Vista.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Over the obstical.jpg
    Over the obstical.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 79
  • The Jeep Doin its Stuff.jpg
    The Jeep Doin its Stuff.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 65
  • The X Performing.jpg
    The X Performing.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 70
  • The Zuk Performing.jpg
    The Zuk Performing.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Just a few more pics.

Attachments

• Fire place at the Tip Top Brewery.jpg
    Fire place at the Tip Top Brewery.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 57
  • More Tip Top Ruins.jpg
    More Tip Top Ruins.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 52
  • The Jeep still doin its thing.jpg
    The Jeep still doin its thing.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Table Mesa.jpg
    Table Mesa.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 52
  • You can only imagine the Sunset behind us.jpg
    You can only imagine the Sunset behind us.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 56

Scott Brady

Founder
Excellent report! I look forward to seeing more pictures by the rest in attendance.

You had two excellent travel companions in Mark and Allen.

And I agree with your comments on the Vitara. They are very capable (considering the limited clearance), and have low-range, which most in the segment lack.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, you are right, I completely underestimated the Vitara. Especially with my wife behind the wheel, this was her first trip driving off road, and I gave her a little crash course while Mark and Allen were airing down. She did a great job along with the Vitara, we were all impressed with its abilities, and she only hit the underside once. I scraped my step bars about 4 times that trip, and I was not being all that agressive. I am trying to find a small 1"-2" lift for the Vitara, but so far have had no luck in obtaining aftermarket parts for it. I guess I will keep looking, because Colette is now starting to get the bug. I better get moving on the Trooper mods before she starts beating me with her rig.

Also, I was very happy to meet Mark and Allen, a couple of very nice guys and good exploration partners. And, Diana is very nice as well. I think the company helped to make this trip even better. I will gladly go on any adventures with them in the future. :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• DSC_5246.JPG
    DSC_5246.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 19
  • full_tent_LF.jpg
    full_tent_LF.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 19
  • full_tent_LR.jpg
    full_tent_LR.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

flywgn

Explorer
Diana and I had a grand time. The “Scooter” mentioned by Aaron is our 10-yr-old Jack Russell Terrier who is travel-seasoned when it comes to back roads.

It was encouraging to us from the outset that Aaron, Colette, and Mark didn’t express any concern for these two “older” folks who had inserted themselves into the trip. We played it safe by volunteering to be the penultimate vehicle in the convoy, reassured that Mark in his sturdy Jeep would rescue us should anything unexpected happen.

This was not the first time we had taken the Xterra (an ’01) out on a dirt road, but it was the first time that I had tested its worth. Although I’ve had standard transmissions in over half of the 4X4 vehicles we’ve owned, it’s taking me longer than usual to get used to this one’s gears. Mark must have had a laugh or two.

Aaron did a fine job as leader, and we (can’t speak for Mark) would never have known the difference had he chosen to keep the “wrong” turn to himself. He could have feigned tour-guide expertise and described the gate which turned us around as something he intended to see first-hand.

It did impress me that Aaron relied on his instincts when it came time to make the decisions on which track. Arizona backcountry is no different than that of many western states, and certainly Baja California, where myriad tracks and side roads tend to perplex the traveler. There have been hundreds of times when Diana and I have arrived at a fork that we’re been tempted to follow advice attributed to Yogi Berra, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it?”

The route up and over a crest with vistas to the east and west and the descent into Cottonwood Ck is memorable. As Aaron described, the road is not a major challenge but does offer one the opportunity to experience low-range 4WD-ing and see close up some of this great Arizona country. If my calculations are correct, it took us 2± hours to return the 13 miles.

Tip Top intrigued us. It’s not difficult to envision several hundred miners living there in the late 19th century. Both sides of the dry creek bed exhibit signs of old roadbeds, dwelling foundations and walls, and other construction projects. It’s the type of place where one gets the feeling that these rocks and walls will talk to you if you give them a day or two instead of minutes.

Once again, Aaron, thanks for putting together this trip.

Some of my photos are below, I hope in this order:
-all four vehicles (there's a track beneath us),
-Aaron with Colette behind,
-Mark negotiating a hill,
-Aaron, Colette, and Mark at the dry wash “bowling-ball” crossing,
-lunch stop (we're "treading lightly" on cattle-trod turf).

Attachments

• Tip Top group on track.JPG
    Tip Top group on track.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Aaron leads Colette.JPG
    Aaron leads Colette.JPG
    610 KB · Views: 61
  • TT - Mark 4.JPG
    TT - Mark 4.JPG
    607.6 KB · Views: 43
  • TT dwn to wash 5.JPG
    TT dwn to wash 5.JPG