BY REQUEST- MY FG SWB (the 20 cent tour)

blackduck

Explorer
As requested by John of ATW fame (yes I take requests) this is the tour of my 07 649 extra SWB
The Truck
canter and van small.jpg
the concept behind the design of the body was to carry all my wordly possesions and have a "ready in a minute" sleeping area
inside looking fwd sml.jpgtruck int 2 sml.jpg
the top half is a no clutter accomodation area that we use when we dont have the van in tow, you just pull out the weaco and roll out the bed, presto all weather accomodation in seconds
As we are on the road full time we carry everything
Under the floor I keep all my tools (welder etc) diving, fishing, camping and boat gear, it all fits (just)
The truck is fitted out with lighting, sound, 12 & 240 volt power, 100L of water and on board air
battery box.jpgbattery box 1.jpg
the starting batteries have been moved into the forward locker along with a 150aH AGM deep cycle battery, air compressor that feeds a 25Lt reciever, switch gear for the domestic services and high amp breaker for the winch. I also keep my ready use tools in there just in case.
cabin 1.jpg
The cab has been refitted with bucket seats and custom built floor and roof consoles. The keen eye among you may notice the Eaton Fuller "road ranger" gear shift. no it doesnt have a 12 speed box just the knob although it could do with some more gears past 5th for highway use
Theres also a small platform for the bird, he likes to see whats going on, but after hours of "jingle bells" being whistled in your ear he should ride in the back.
front 1.jpg
My latest additions are a set of lightforce 240's, LED day running lights(just in case you dont see it), and a 16500lb Mako winch

The Boat Loader
On top I carry 2 boats, a 3.5M tinnie set up for fishing and a 4M inflatable for diving
to get them on and off I use a "RHINO" boat loader customised to roll forward for travel
boat 1.jpgboat 4.jpgboat 5.jpg
At the moment its all handraulic but im working on a starter motor set up to automate it

blackduck

Explorer
the 20 cent tour part 2

my apologies
im currently in a spot with poor internet
The Outboard
I keep my little 15hp motor between the cab and body on a fold away trolley
outboard 1.jpgoutboard 2.jpgoutboard 3.jpgoutboard 4.jpg
the idea is it holds keeps the motor well out of the way and can act as a service stand when required
the best part is by attaching the wheels you dont have to carry the motor
Behind the motor in the gap I keep the boat fuel tank,dieso and bike fuel jerry cans and a locker for recovery equipment

The Bike Loader
Under the heading of you just cant have enough toys I also carry a Suzuki V Strom 1000 on the back
its a decent sized bike cause im a decent sized bloke (no 250's here)
bike on sml.jpg
It uses "C" sectin channel as rails with a winch driven carrige that holds the front wheel
Its a one man operation, takes about 3 minutes to set up and packs away neatly into itself
bike 1.jpgbike 3.jpgbike 1a.jpgbike 4.jpg
Operation is simple. you place the front wheel on the carrige and strap it down to the front axle, then using the winch haul the lot up the ramp onto the truck, Removal is the reverse
For safety i have a video monitor that looks down onto the bike while im moving
I have a video of the bike loader in use and when i figure out how to post it ill put it on

New Bits
Im planning on a set of parabolic springs when I finally get back round to Queensland and maybe some super singles. Short of that im running out of room to put bits

If theres anything here that may be of use to your set up and you want more detailed info drop me a line
toys sml.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
just a quick shot of our rig at the wind farm in Geraldton WA

Attachments

• car van & boat.jpg
    car van & boat.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 30

mab

Observer
Hi Stu,

I would like to know where you had your custom consoles made.

Thanks,
MAB

blackduck

Explorer
MAB
unfortunatley I made them myself
the timber work was the easy part I had to beg to the wife to do the covering.
I searched for someone who makes consoles for the canter but not much luck

I think ATW do a centre consoles for thier trucks, it might be worth giving john a yell

Attachments

• roof console.jpg
    roof console.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 22

blackduck

Explorer
true
but not everyone has the abilty or resources to make thier own gear
mind you being able to self customise is handy with the amount of off the shelf gear for canters

my advise to MAB is have a bash
if you screw it up try again
eventually youll get it just the way you want it
also if you can do the woodwork get a trimmer to do the covering

blackduck

Explorer
The latest edition is a set of LED work lights mounted in front to act as "daytime running lights"
they come in handy for those long straight streches of desert road when oncoming traffic just doesnt seem to see you
being 3.5 meters high and 2.1 wide im not sure how thats possible but it happens
I was so impressed with them I also put one on each side mirror facing rearwards to use as camping / work lights perfect for night time tyre changes (touch wood)

led's (1).jpgled's (3).jpg

fg4oz

Adventurer
Whats the spring under the bull bar? (im sure its common knowledge and ive just exposed how poor my mechanical knowledge is)

The latest edition is a set of LED work lights mounted in front to act as "daytime running lights"
they come in handy for those long straight streches of desert road when oncoming traffic just doesnt seem to see you
being 3.5 meters high and 2.1 wide im not sure how thats possible but it happens
I was so impressed with them I also put one on each side mirror facing rearwards to use as camping / work lights perfect for night time tyre changes (touch wood)

View attachment 113743View attachment 113744

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles