NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Thank you for sharing all of your ideas! I am a Land Rover tech at a independent shop and just sold my D1's for my LR3 and am friends with Jerry here in Colorado. I have been searching for info and ideas much like your rig. I will keep checking and and am planning my own build thread.

Glad my ramblings can help in any small way, congrats on the new truck-pics look interesting, especially with what appears to be a color matched ARB.
My build slowed down a bit b/c of work and a lot of time on the road, there's a few more things in the works over the next few months I think; including:
-retrieval of (mailed it to the U.S.), and installation of my Traxide dual battery setup.
-OBA hardmounted/hardwired (thinking ARB compressor under the hood)
-Potentially getting a small water tank made to go in the 3rd row seat floor boards.
-Swing away tire carrier + aux fuel tank in the spare location (my Frontrunner vendor isn't planning on placing an order till the new year so this is at the bottom of the list).

r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
More playing with lights! Scuff plates & rear seat covers added too

Been on the road a ton and with projects either waiting for logistics to catch up or not at the appropriate time not too much has been happening. Never let that get in the way of a Rover owner doing something so that the truck knows she is loved though. This weekend's travel was canceled and that gave me a chance to try out some LED fog lights in place of the halogens. First cut is that they are a significant increase in light and will serve well as aux flood lights-I will be intrigued when I get back to a place with fog/rain if they are, in fact, too white and too bright.

Picture of the lights:
2015-11-03 20.37.08.jpg
Purchased off Amazon (of course) where they come in multiple diameters. These are the 4.5" work lights. No small amount of irony that I took this style of light off the bumper and am now installing them into the bumper, but different locations/different application/different appearance makes it all logical in my mind.

Shot of LED vs Halogen for unscientific comparison (left is halogen):
2015-11-20 13.02.32.jpg
Now with both LEDs and a nice stark white light:
2015-11-20 13.47.24.jpg
Overall shots of how they integrate appearance wise into the bumper, which I'm pleased with.
2015-11-20 13.03.56.jpg
2015-11-20 13.45.25.jpg

Wet Okle rear seat covers were ordered awhile back after it became clear that the front's were a great purchase and with an upcoming visit from my kiddos there was an increasing desire to protect the back seat of the truck akin to the front. Not really much to say/show here other than the point out they went on easier than the fronts and are of the same superb fit/finish/quality as the fronts are. One of the best modifications to the truck, in my opinion. Before and after:
2015-11-04 05.02.20.jpg2015-11-04 06.16.26.jpg

I'd also noticed that my SE spec truck did not come with an scuff plates and the outer door sills were starting to get worn at high traffic areas:
2015-11-20 10.09.09.jpg
I'd considered the OEM versions but wandering around on eBay ended up finding me these: Disco fleabay scuff plates & in keeping with the general Discovery vice LR3 theme, I figured why not. As they came from Hong Kong:
2015-11-20 12.07.50.jpg
Quick shot of one installed, simple installation after the car got washed today. Remove 3M double sided sticky tape, place and press. Small happy modification with limited merit but wasn't hard either.
2015-11-20 12.15.31.jpg

paroxysym

Adventurer
great build- love the subtle mods and the simplicity of them. when you due back in the states? I imagine you cant wait to get that thing on some trails on the EC

Ray_G

Explorer
great build- love the subtle mods and the simplicity of them. when you due back in the states? I imagine you cant wait to get that thing on some trails on the EC

Thank you, it's def been an effort not to over do modifications and to retain some of the relative elegance of the truck + its on road manners. The wife is a good arbiter of what is a healthy balance truth be told (hence not pulling the trigger on a rear swing away, yet, maybe).

I'm back next summer & def looking forward to getting the truck up & down the East Coast but we're also looking to use it for longer trips cross country, there's a good chance next Xmas we'll use it to get to AZ & back just b/c that's what we built it for, why not drive it instead of sitting in a miserable airport on miserable airlines (that aspect of the U.S. I'm not looking forward to returning to after being on Etihad for 2 years)
cheers-
Ray

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Ray - we are considering an LR3 for various reasons... comfort, towing ability, space,etc... Can you recommend a good resource for determining best (or can you) years, options, etc... to look for? Use would be likely DD, trips, dirt roads, occasional trail riding. Would need to be built for durability as getting to my house each day is essentially a trail ride in and of itself. Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray - we are considering an LR3 for various reasons... comfort, towing ability, space,etc... Can you recommend a good resource for determining best (or can you) years, options, etc... to look for? Use would be likely DD, trips, dirt roads, occasional trail riding. Would need to be built for durability as getting to my house each day is essentially a trail ride in and of itself. Any advice would be appreciated.

John

John-
I don't know of a single source that I'd point towards for some of the nuanced details about the LR3 (beyond paging through here as in my opinion ExpO seems to be the focal point for good LR3/LR4 info but I also only dwell on here, Discoweb, and Defender Source-I can't speak to LRR and other places). For basic research I tend to use Edmunds and their overall commentary on the LR3 and the ability to wade through model year variations is a good start: http://www.edmunds.com/land-rover/lr3/

My opinion on best years is, like most, subjective. I would tend to say look at 08/09's (while saying I have an 06, and have had no major issues knock on wood) and in the same breath also say that lower mileage tends to be best and all is trumped by good maintenance records. In theory the 05's had the teething problems normal to any new model but I can't speak to that in practice.

In terms of specs I knew that there was a series of things that I wanted in my platform that is akin to what your desired application could push you toward but all is somewhat relative. My logic stream when I was shopping came back to:
-V8 (nothing actually wrong with the V6 either but I was partial to the 4.4L)
-HID headlights
-Cold wx package (the seat heaters are very nice)
-7 seater; I wanted to be able to haul kiddos + friends if necessary, and the fold flat nature means that it is a tremendous utility vehicle in a 5, or in my case with the fridge in the middle, 4 seat configuration.

I also prioritized color as I wanted a green truck with black interior, and wanted 18" wheels from the start to be able to swap on a better range of tires than the 19" ones.

While I have no regrets with my truck, other things that are worth pointing out:
-I should have tried for a green/black truck that had the bluetooth, iPod integration (the aux port is horribly located and sucks), and nav. With that said the OE bluetooth tends to not get good reviews, and neither does the Nav so really I am saying I wish I had the iPod integration but these all tend to be in the same spec trucks.
-Some would advocate for the HD package to get the locker; my intended application didn't call for it and I doubt many others actually do but it could be important I guess. Personally the existing traction control and programs, with good tires, is superb given the weight of the truck compared to many (MANY) other vehicles. For more than that, I have a winch and maxtrax.

So if you're looking I'd suggest racking and stacking options you want; most likely that may push you towards and HSE spec truck (or in the later years the HSE LUX spec vehicle). Simply put buy the most spec'd out truck up front instead of trying to retrofit boutique stuff like I've detailed in this thread!

When shopping I'd pull the recommended service intervals and compare that to the maint records; if there are no maint records be somewhat wary as you may endure a painful initial ownership fixing the 'consumables' of the truck (Lower Control Arms, brakes, wheel bearings, etc). As you hit 100k or the truck hits ~10years expect the need to fix the air compressor, well documented here in terms of the choice to either repair the Hitachi unit most have or 'upgrade' to the AMK that is in the LR4. You may also see the need above 100k to replace the air suspension components selectively too-that depends. As you can see I opted to go a different direction with the coil conversion and there is a lot of opinion on that I don't want to delve into to distract from addressing your question. I'd suggest planning on buying an IID tool immediately as it will increase your self-reliance with the vehicle right off the bat since it is a laptop that happens to have wheels. Given your application I'd also suggest sourcing 18" wheels if you don't find a truck with them, and put new tires on as you swap down an inch and gain a much better platform for dirt roads and such.

Overall I will say that I love my LR3 for what I intended for her; an all-wx capable, spacious and flexible utility vehicle that still has enough luxury to be very comfortable on long trips, versatile DD. Hope that somewhat brief reply helps, I can ramble on this stuff forever.
S/F
Ray

nwoods

Expedition Leader

John
Short answer is 2007 or 2008 HSE with rear locker. Otherwise try this article. It's a bit outdated, but it's in the theme of what you requested: https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/buying-a-used-lr3-v6-or-v8-which-options-cautions/

Also, I have a listing of other forums to consider: https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/top-sites/

Ray_G

Explorer
Short answer is 2007 or 2008 HSE with rear locker. Otherwise try this article. It's a bit outdated, but it's in the theme of what you requested: https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/buying-a-used-lr3-v6-or-v8-which-options-cautions/

Also, I have a listing of other forums to consider: https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/top-sites/

Your stuff was a strong influence in my search and in my modifications and is def a great resource. An unrelated question for you (Nwoods)-do you remember the model #/type for the iPod interface you used on what I think was your first truck?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks Ray. I used a "USA Spec" unit purchased at Crutchfield, but I don't think they've updated to Lightning yet. These days I've been really happy with units made by GROM, though I'm not sure they have an LR3 version.

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks Ray. I used a "USA Spec" unit purchased at Crutchfield, but I don't think they've updated to Lightning yet. These days I've been really happy with units made by GROM, though I'm not sure they have an LR3 version.

From what I've found the GROM doesn't have an LR3 model, I saw a post somewhere from you on the USA spec but wasn't sure if the ford version would work on the LR HK system. I'm going to try something off eBay UK that adds an rca connection in between wiring components on the back of the head unit. We shall see.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thank you both for the direction and advice on my question. Ray, your thread was what brought the LR3 to my attention in the first place. Awesome stuff.

John

Ray_G

Explorer
Thank you both for the direction and advice on my question. Ray, your thread was what brought the LR3 to my attention in the first place. Awesome stuff.

John

Excellent, happy hunting and if you get one...pics are a must!
r-
Ray

unseenone

Explorer
Have any of you crafty devils come up with a center console safe. I saw 1 pictured on a US LR forum, dropped a PM but never got an answer. Evidently it can be done, but the details haven't turned up in quite a bit of searching...

xray132

gun safe

This is a Gun Vault Nano 100. This works for the short trip into a federal building, because at most any other time it should be on your side with an extra magazine. That's a Glock 21C with extra mag. inside. The console was lifted out and it is bolted to the inside back side of console.

Attachments

• safe1.jpg
    safe1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior