Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Yeah, I can imagine it would be rare that anyone would need another fuel tank for our trucks. I'll put it up for free if I have to...just to get rid of it. I hate storing stuff like that.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
An update on the tank. The first fill was perfect. Everything went very well...no burping, spitting or anything else. Ever since that first fill up, it has overfilled...AT EVERY SINGLE FILLUP. It's beyond annoying and I can't figure out why. It's a real bummer to not want to fill to capacity because it will shoot a lot of gas down the side of the truck. I'm pretty sure all of my vent lines are nicely routed and free of standing gas and clogs. Doesn't seem to matter if I fill fast or slow. If I let the pump shut itself off, it'll overfill. And, I can't hear it filling well enough to shut it off on my own like I used to do with my dad's old Ford pickup that would overfill every time. You could hear it gurgling as it got close so you'd just stop filling and its be perfect. The Tacoma is quick and quiet like a ninja!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthe

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Are you talking about the little valve at the end of the factory fill hose right at the tank? I managed to break that and tried to replace it and Toyota had no idea what I was talking about. Couldn't find a part number, picture or anything else. Ordered a new hose and it's actually different than what came on my truck. Weird. Anyway, took the broken body of the valve out of the hose end which allowed the hose to slide further on to the tank fill inlet. The burping is greatly reduced now. Maybe the hose was slightly kinked/restricted and it caused the pump to not read full status soon enough? Unsure. It takes so long for me to drain the tank that its hard to get any good data. Since we bought a second car, the truck doesn't get driven much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

000doodie000

older thread but thought I would ask anyway

This probably isn't what anyone who has purchased one of the out-of-country tanks wants to hear right now, but Custom Exhaust is still able and willing to build tanks for you in the US of A. No duty, no shipping, no currency exchange, no customs, no parts-don't-fit, ****** issues and pretty darned close to the same price as the imported ones. Shane will install and undertake all the hassles and, most importantly, has stood behind every tank.
I have no interest one way or the other. I moved to a Tundra and the Transfer Flow tank is a US made, plug and play 46 gallon solution. If I went back to a Tacoma---and I may well some day---the first thing I would do is get a tank from Shane in Bend.

So it sounded like this whole LRA process did not work out well in some cases for overseas shipping.
Who is Shane and how would I contact him if I wanted a tank for a 15 Taco (DCSB)?

Anyone that successfully completed an install have any pics or advice? Did you have to modify suspension for the added weight on one side?

Thanks

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
All in all, I'm also happy with my tank. It's so nice to have 34 gallons on board. Slowing the pump waaaay down to a trickle right near the end adds a minute or two to the full time but it doesn't burp. I can certainly work with that.

Dibblit

1 Bored Clerk do you have any pictures of the tank fitment with a long box? Specifically the modifications you had to do in order to make the tank work.

I am about ready to order one of theses tanks to Canada, just looking into the import side of things as we can self broker international shipments here.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
All in all. We are happy with what we got. The shipping was the only issue. If you have a friend or know your way around the whole 'PORT' process, then it is a good option. If you are getting a couple at a time and are splitting the cost, then it is a good option.

PM cvvandy

Hi Skygear, I actually still need pics. (The inbox was full)

Cheers,

-Ben

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
1 Bored Clerk do you have any pictures of the tank fitment with a long box? Specifically the modifications you had to do in order to make the tank work.

I am about ready to order one of theses tanks to Canada, just looking into the import side of things as we can self broker international shipments here.

Actually, I just pulled my bed for a UTE tray swap so I'll see if I can get any photos that make any sense for you...unless it's too late and you already have one in order.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Working on a theory to stop the overfill issue on this tank.
There are two vent tubes that come out of the tank: one goes to the charcoal filler and one goes up to the fill neck. The small one that goes to the fill neck is there to shut off the pump. Inside the tank, where that 1/4” line goes in, there is a tube that drops a certain distance into the tank. Once the fuel level reaches that tube, it cuts off the airflow and that’s what shuts the pump off. Based on the short length of the vent tube and the shape of the tank in that area, the vent tube doesn’t get shut off until the fuel tank is darn near completely full. By that time, the pump has already pushed out enough fuel to more than fill the full neck. So, my guess is that the fuel vent tube that drops into the tank needs to be longer. I’m beginning to test this by making a new vent tube that’s much much longer than the 3” (or so) long one the tank came with. I’m hoping I see that with my super long vent tube, the fuel cuts off reliably early. Then I’ll trim it down until it cuts off reliably at the right time: when the tank is full but not overflowing. It’ll be a long process because dropping the fuel in the tank enough to test will take a little while each time. I’ll be sure to update this though.

Here’s where I’m starting:

I made a slightly longer vent tube and put it in. Didn’t make any noticeable difference. But the tank is usable so I took the vent that came with the tank and cut the extension tube off of the fitting, drilled it out, and used JB Weld to glue in another long piece of brass tubing that I could source locally.

dd029de523c9f8ac56a2dc8a3ff4a4de.jpg

d745ef5769ecdc3d967c4920fd535eb1.jpg

Here it is all glued up and ready for install. This experimentation would be a nightmare with the factory bed in place. But since I’ve put on a flatbed, access to all of the tank fill and vent fittings is unbelievably easy. Hopefully, I’ll find the right length to reliably fill the tank and not overfill. Then, I’ll give you the dimensions and you can make your own vent tube and install it once. It’ll be painful but it would only be painful once.

This could all lead to nothing but I’m keeping high hopes until it proves otherwise. I’m SO tired of not being able to just fill the damn tank like a factory tank. I still have my factory tank, as a matter of fact, in case I just can’t deal with the overfill anymore. The whole point of this tank was not to have to deal with Jerry Cans and the leaking and gas on your hands that come with them!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94