Se7en62's '97 Cherokee XJ "GROOT" Overland Build

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
After another couple days of trial and error (not being an A/C guy) GROOT is blowing ice cold. In fact it's so cold that I had to turn the fan down this morning and adjust the vent so it wasn't freezing my hand on the steering wheel. - This weekend it will get it's windows all tinted to help maintain interior temps.

20247590_471785566516391_4151199986125327222_o.jpg

Tonight I'll install the new Pioneer speakers I picked up for next to nothing, then I'll start putting together the parts I need to convert the Chrysler 8.25 to discs. - The A/C ate so far into my time constraints and budget that the axle swaps will have to come after our trip to CO. Since that's the case, my new prioritized prep list is as follows:

• Disc Brake Conversion for Chrysler 8.25 w/ New E-Brake Cable ($295)
  • Fabricate Rock Sliders ($60)
  • Finish Tucking Rear Quarter Panels
  • Front Wheel Bearings and U-Joints ($98)
  • Finish CB System ($73)
  • Recovery Points ($80)
  • Upgrade Engine Mounts ($104) <--Not needed, but I'd like these done in advance of the trip.
  • Window Tinting ($120)
  • Parachord Pet & Cargo Dividers (Wife is on it.)
  • Build a Cargo Compartment System for Pelican Cases and RTIC Cooler ($40)
  • Pelican Cased CO2 System ($165)
  • Pelican Cased Field-Repair Tool Kit ($24 for Tool Roles)

25 Days and Counting...

Last edited:

hidperf

After another couple days of trial and error (not being an A/C guy) GROOT is blowing ice cold. In fact it's so cold that I had to turn the fan down this morning and adjust the vent so it wasn't freezing my hand on the steering wheel. - This weekend it will get it's windows all tinted to help maintain interior temps.

How's the coolant temps with the AC on and fully loaded?
I converted my '92 to 134a several years ago and it blew ice cold for the 2 years it was my daily. But after moving to a bad weather only vehicle for a couple years, I had to recharge it this year. Unfortunately, I can't run mine on the highway fully loaded or it runs too hot. I'll be addressing that issue in the future.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
How's the coolant temps with the AC on and fully loaded?
I converted my '92 to 134a several years ago and it blew ice cold for the 2 years it was my daily. But after moving to a bad weather only vehicle for a couple years, I had to recharge it this year. Unfortunately, I can't run mine on the highway fully loaded or it runs too hot. I'll be addressing that issue in the future.

Mine was doing the same thing right before the compressor clutch seized. I think the overheating issue was being caused by the excess load the compressor was putting on the serpentine belt system, which actually slowed the fan speed and water pump considerably. The new compressor is working like a champ and it's ice cold inside, while the engine temp remains between 209° and 219°.

hidperf

Mine was doing the same thing right before the compressor clutch seized. I think the overheating issue was being caused by the excess load the compressor was putting on the serpentine belt system, which actually slowed the fan speed and water pump considerably. The new compressor is working like a champ and it's ice cold inside, while the engine temp remains between 209° and 219°.

:wings:

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
what exactly are you getting for the conversion and where? id like to get might done before a 38 day trip in September

Wrench-A-Part - Find any ZJ, grab the emergency brake cable and everything from the backing plate out, minus the rotors and pads. Then order new rotors and pads from Amazon for $60. I guesstimated the cost, but that should be higher than what I actually pay.

MirageMobile

Wrench-A-Part - Find any ZJ, grab the emergency brake cable and everything from the backing plate out, minus the rotors and pads. Then order new rotors and pads from Amazon for $60. I guesstimated the cost, but that should be higher than what I actually pay.

On my XJ -> ZJ disc swap, the ZJ driver side ebrake cable was swapped. However, the ZJ passenger cable was not long enough. I purchased a liberty passenger cable per the advice of cherokeeforum. It had the correct length but not the correct crimp position at the lever end.

Let me know what part number you buy and if it works for you!

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
On my XJ -> ZJ disc swap, the ZJ driver side ebrake cable was swapped. However, the ZJ passenger cable was not long enough. I purchased a liberty passenger cable per the advice of cherokeeforum. It had the correct length but not the correct crimp position at the lever end.

Let me know what part number you buy and if it works for you!

I've read that before too. So the Liberty's passenger side cable worked for you?

jswift716

Adventurer
Libertys had 8.25s so if you run into them grab all the same parts and the disks will bolt on and you won't have to dremel the backing plates. Just make sure your pulling from and 8.25 because I can't remember the years

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Libertys had 8.25s so if you run into them grab all the same parts and the disks will bolt on and you won't have to dremel the backing plates. Just make sure your pulling from and 8.25 because I can't remember the years

So you're saying a disc brake KJ (Liberty) rear disc brakes and emergency brake cables are a direct bolt-on to the XJ?

I can't seem to find a decent write-up with pictures, since Photobucket took a steaming crap on the internet. I'll dig deeper tonight, but i'm pretty sure the yards near me have a couple of KJ's laying around. This is now priority number one...

Last edited:

jswift716

Adventurer
So you're saying a disc brake KJ (Liberty) rear disc brakes and emergency brake cables are a direct bolt-on to the XJ?

I can't seem to find a decent write-up with pictures, since Photobucket took a steaming crap on the internet. I'll dig deeper tonight, but i'm pretty sure the yards near me have a couple of KJ's laying around. This is now priority number one...
I don't remember the letter designation but yeah, same axle same track just coil sprung. I never found a write up either just put it on yours the way you took it off and hook the axle cables to the xj tensioner if I recall. It's been a while since I've had one. My last rotted and seems like all the ones for sale here aren't much better

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I attempted to rebuild the drums, since I had all the brand new parts laying around. - It didn't work out at all. Now I'm without a parking brake. I'm going to the Wrench-A-Part on Sunday to pick-up the KJ Liberty rear disc brakes, then swap them over.

While I was at it though, I tucked the rear quarter panels and they turned out pretty good. I trimmed the bumper inward a bit, but soon enough it'll get a new one that will look cleaner.

20476389_474944709533810_4229011740350078394_n.jpg

Last edited:

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Two quick updates:

Saturday my buddy and I ran up to Belton to the Wrench-A-Part and snagged the parts needed to convert the rear drums to discs. The donor Jeep was a 2004 Liberty, so everything will bolt-up. I ordered new pads and rotors, as well as new soft lines (which i accidentally left at the yard.)

Then Sunday, my folks came up for a visit and my Dad lent a hand in building a shelf-system for the cargo area. We got it about 95% finished and it's looking solid. - We used 3/4" Ash Ply and a 2x6 to build the shelf. It's held together with (16) 1" L-brackets, (60) 1-1/4" coarse-thread drywall screws, with wood glue on each joint. Then we are using (4) 6" Turnbuckles to secure it to the newly carpeted cargo area.

20664036_477752912586323_3182942439148998648_n.jpg

20708133_477752932586321_8175472865690596880_n.jpg

20638036_477752955919652_6836428175016695959_n.jpg

20621155_477752982586316_610445038899676616_n.jpg

Right now it's sitting in the garage waiting for the Silicon to setup, then I'll stain the rest of the exposed wood tomorrow with black wood stain.

The original plan called for the spare to be mounted inside, but it didn't measure up and make sense, so we scrapped the spare and stuck with organization. - Instead, the spare will ride behind the driver's seat for this trip. Then, when we get home, I'll either order a tire carrier, or fabricate one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior