Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Love the build. Can't wait to see it done. What year f150 fuel tank ?
Thanks! I don't know the exact years that were covered but its late 80s to early 1990s rear F-150 tanks. Did not see any other models besides this one that have been used for the rear tank.

Finally got the truck back, now with new stealth features. However it's now a pain to find where I parked the thing!

Actually the discount tire direct ebay sale was too good to pass on. So I picked up a set of 315/75R16 KO2s on the cheap. Now we just have to make them fit! :snorkel:

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Well ******k.. Redesign 4.0 Have another set of shocks being made as 18" is just a little too much... 16" inbound!

Zam15

Explorer
I was a little shocked you went for 18s. Oh well. 2nd times a charm.
Yea I was "shocked" when they went with 18"s as well, but if they could make it work whatever... Shop was saying that they would have to mount the shocks even higher than that to make the 18s work and would need a full cage due to all the leverage and what not.
So they went ahead and order a new set. I'm actually sad to see these go as they are beautiful :(

The shop owner is gong to grab a spare set of 16"s he has around so they can at least finish the truck while the new ones are being made.

Zam15

Explorer
So..... yea.... apparently they can't get the current setup to work. So everything is getting cut off any going back to a standard 4-link.
Gas tank situation is still TBD but the truck will handle better and it will pull more travel. Just wont have all the fuel capacity I wanted. But who knows, a custom fuel cell may be in my future.

Also adding a 1" body lift, will replace all my worn out bushings and just solidify everything a little, will also help with clearance all around.
71KjLco3EZL._SL1500_.jpg

Also will be covering up most of the wheel well like this.

Zam15

Explorer
Well, I don't have have the Tacoma back yet but it still does not stop me from planning and having a stockpile of parts for future mods..

Just picked up a Factor 55 FlatLink and Custom Splice ARB Offset Hawse Fairlead

P.S. Shout out to Custom Splice for amazing customer service, the first hawse fairlead arrived damaged and they immediately responded and sent out a replacement. If anyone is in the market I would give them a look.

Zam15

Explorer
Well, we appear to be back on track! Axle is back in the truck, new body bushings have been installed, front diff is out and getting re-geared, the remaining mounting points from my leaf springs and panhard setup have all been cut out along with the spare tire bracket, 4-link getting dialed in, new beefy coil buckets coming together, there is also talk about a rear sway bar.
35461904732_a6386e4c75_k.jpg

35461903862_c188160db4_k.jpg

35461902562_d680484e07_k.jpg

34788806804_ced491d3f4_k.jpg

34788798394_39a23afda8_k.jpg

My hopes are up that I'll be out in the back country again soon.

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
That is some serious shock travel!
No kidding!

Making some good progress. Shop was finishing up the mounting points, coilover buckets, bedcage is pretty much done, frame is now boxed and plated with new cross members, new limit straps are in place. Swaybar will likely squeeze between the two fuel tanks.

I'll be honest I'm not the most excited about the gas tank situation but living in California and sporting a 4-Link options are limited. One of the tanks have been mocked up, a 2nd is on order. These are Toyota truck stock tanks. Should get 34+ gallons of fuel now.
Shops working on a removable cover for the tanks, should make it looks nicer and allow for easy maintenance access. I will definitely have to revise my storage layout however.

The holes in the bed cut for the shock towers will also see some sheet metal work, limiting the amount of material that will sneak into and out of the bed.

If I bail on CA I could see myself switching to a fuel cell that will offer 40+ gallons and have better clearance all around.

I'm also sure my crazy idea of using a flippac/habitat with this setup is out the door. May eventually go with a custom bed rack/RTT setup and ditch the shell. Hard shell camp has also been in the back of my head for a while.

As she sits now we're at 18+ inches of travel. Stock tow hitch and bumper are gone.

I'm happy with the quality of the new fab work, everything is insanely overbuilt now. Should be able to take anything that I throw at it.

Bandwidth Warning:
35908870395_f53cf40df0_o.jpg

35908872205_f7dc0e9e09_o.jpg

35069166314_05261cc109_o.jpg

35069168914_a9cb99eb33_o.jpg

35908872735_8574bd0678_o.jpg

35069166264_d9ca0b2b3f_o.jpg

35908873015_a80d6bd66b_o.jpg

35069169794_87751f5af3_o.jpg

35908873495_1b142ca22d_o.jpg

35069170644_99b6fd7996_o.jpg

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hot damn! That thing is gonna be unstoppable! That rear travel is ridiculous. It'll be like driving around on top of a slinky.

Also, that rear diff looks like it would survive most IEDs.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Zam15

Explorer
Hot damn! That thing is gonna be unstoppable! That rear travel is ridiculous. It'll be like driving around on top of a slinky.

Also, that rear diff looks like it would survive most IEDs.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Pretty sure that rear axle will outlive me!

Everybody loves a slinky right? Working on getting a rear sway-bar setup on the rig. Should help a ton!

Zam15

Explorer
Wow. Getting ready fro the apocalypse? That is one unique build. You better not sell this thing when you are done.

I guess it is starting to look like it would fit well in a Mad Max movie. I'm just constantly working to improve the rigs capabilities and versatility. I've never understood people that build up a rig and then sell it before they even have a chance to enjoy it.. And being done? Never going to happen.. I've got a infinite list of little projects to do once I get it back in my hands... Finish my OBA with the tank installation, heated shower setup, improved solar, upgrad to synthetic winch line, new seats...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz